User Tag List

Thread: Audio System Advice - Focal IS200 8" Door Speakers?

1. Default Audio System Advice - Focal IS200 8" Door Speakers?

Hi all,

New to the MPS world, just purchased a 2006 Mazda 3 MPS and looking to upgrade the stock stereo.

I don't want a sub hanging around in the boot and from what I've read there isn't a huge difference in an underseat sub compared to a good set of amped up front speakers, so I am looking for advice for the best set of front speakers (most likely components) for around $200-$400 that will provide good bass.

Is it correct that the stock speakers are 6x8?

Has anyone tried to install these - Amazon.com: Focal IS 200 8" 2-Component System: Car Electronics
    Could it be done??? These are my number 1 option at the moment.

Any advice as to speakers you would recommend around that price range would be appreciated.

What would be your feeling on rear speakers? Just get a $100 replacement pair of 6x8s? I am someone who likes to keep the fader in the middle, I like the sound of the music coming from everywhere not just the front.

Thanks.
    Pete

I thought the front speakers were round, so that rules out 6x8's.

I have had Focal splits in other cars, 6.5" which I think I bought for around $300 about 10 years ago. They are a great sounding speaker, need a fair bit of amplification but won't provide the bass an 8" speaker will. I had mine paired with some 6" speakers in the rear and a sub. Another combination that really worked well were 6.5" splits in the front and 7x10's in the rear all running off one amp, no sub.

Last edited by RedDjinn; 15-10-2013 at 07:47 AM.

4. Default

Took some photos with the doors off.
    As you can see there are two grills - one on the inside of the door (a 6x8/5x8 shape grill) and then a 8" grill on the outside of the door (I presume to be ready for the 8" BOSE speakers in the sports pack).
    Would it be possible to cut a bigger 8" hole on the inside of the door (the 6x8/5x8 grill)?

From looking at these pictures do you think it would fit?
    Any advice?
    I really like the idea of getting some decent bass without having a sub. Seeing that these are the same size as many underseat subs, I think I could accomplish this.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door 1.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	15390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door 2.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	15391