User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning Round 1!

Default Tuning Round 1!

And so it begins.
    After having my car for 10 weeks, yesterday I begun my tuning adventure with our local tuner

There are many great tuners out there, all with great results to show, but I only decided to go with @rayd after bugging him for hours with questions about many aspects of the platform, not only on the tuning side of things, but the mechanical side as well. I'm happy and believe I've got a very competent tuner with quite an extensive and well informed knowledge of my car and our platform.

My power mods at this stage are:

CorkSport Air box, SRI and TIH, then 2xs Front Mount Intercooler with a forge V1 BPV, Autotech high pressure fuel pump upgraded internals, CP-e catted down pipe, CP-e nexus catback with 1 res and 1 muffler.

Tuning with the Cobb AccessPort V3 on 98 fuel at the moment.

After this tune, I will be installing my Devils Own WMI kit and getting a retune, then perhaps another tune with some E85 in the tank too but that's another story!

Was running the OTS map: Stage2+SF+TIH+IC 95 v231 on 98 fuel because I was getting hectic knock on the 98 map (talking 5+ KR)

This map was still pretty aggressive, and here is the VD of my first log on this map;

It felt pretty good, though I definitely wanted more.

Ambient temp = 32c
    60-100mph time = 5.77s

--edit--

New graph using correct tyre size
    Last edited by GibbA; 15-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

So I got revision 0.1, flashed and logged.

Ray brought back timing so that it was a safe starting level, upper boost a tad to 20psi tapering to 17psi.
    Did a MAF cal and modified knock tables, idle, fuel and throttle tables.

I flashed the map, and logged in 4th:

As can be seen in the log, timing was brought right back, AFR was leaned out to 11.6-11.8 and boost was higher.
    This pull was much smoother, less of a HIT of power like the OTS map had, but very noticeably had less power.
    The afr didnt' quite hit the targets due to changes in the fueling demands, but was fixed in the next revision.
    Felt like a good point to build upon.

Ambient temperature = 29c
    60-100mph = 6.67s

--edit--

Last edited by GibbA; 15-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Ray send me revision 0.2 last night. I flashed and logged this morning.

Boost table was twigged a bit, and he started to increase timing.

Here is the log on revision 0.2:

As can see in the log, afr was hitting targets better this time until the end of the log, boost was smoother, though didn't quite hit the target of 20psi unlike the previous map and started to rise a little towards the end again.
    This log again felt smooth, but felt stronger the whole way through compared to the hit of the OTS map.
    Still quite a ways to go, but nice to feel improvements as timing is increased now.

Ambient temperature = 15c
    60-100mph time = 5.70s

--edit--

Last edited by GibbA; 15-10-2013 at 10:43 AM.

I'm struggling to believe you're hitting 5.5s 60-100mph... Seems way to low for those numbers... Did you mean 6.5?

Ah you're right, slight mis-interpolation in the log, depends where you take it from as to what time it gives.

Here's the log

there are 3 readings of 99mph and 2 of 101 mph, choose where you want to take the reading from and do the calcs yourself, but it's def not 6.5!

And before you ask to confirm, this is dead flat smooth AC road surface

edit:

Numbers fixed, will post to 2 decimal places from now on.

edit2:

Private road
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GibbA; 14-10-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I'm struggling to believe you're hitting 5.5s 60-100mph... Seems way to low for those numbers... Did you mean 6.5?
    Factor to consider, Alex has 17" wheels on his MPS which could lower the diameter of his wheels hence throwing out the speedo readings slightly. never the less, his K04 is flowing some crazy numbers i think i saw a 310g/s in one of the logs somewhere .

EDIT: in case it wasn't known he's running RPF1's which are almost half the weight of stock wheels, which also contributes to huge unsprung weight reduction
    Last edited by Rayd; 14-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Factor to consider, Alex has 17" wheels on his MPS which could lower the diameter of his wheels hence throwing out the speedo readings slightly. never the less, his K04 is flowing some crazy numbers i think i saw a 310g/s in one of the logs somewhere .

EDIT: in case it wasn't known he's running RPF1's which are almost half the weight of stock wheels, which also contributes to huge unsprung weight reduction
    Shit, that's a lot of flow from a k04... Sure that thing is stock?
    What is your tire size @GibbA ? Cause from those numbers I'd expect a mid 6 time
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Tyres are 245/45/17 @SarcasticOne.
    Mods are in sig, and power mods listed in OP.

Yeah ray was saying how fast it was and I was like, well yeah it's fast...ish, but nowhere near as fast as i'm hoping to be....

Then he showed me this to put it in some perspective: http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?pid=mph60_100

Also I can correct ray's post, highest g/s of the logs I've taken so far is 303g/s

Still a lot for K04 and intake with a box

I hit about 305 with 3.25" maf. Over 300 with stock maf is nuts.. Stock maf I saw around 275ish with airbox

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

I wonder what's physically capable for the stock maf...
    Don't want to take the box off cause I hate how hot BAT's are already.... the heat here is horrible

Think I read somewhere k04 flows about 320gs max. MSF probably

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

Righto. Might make a thread over there with this stuff in it and see what they have to say. (Flame suit on, i'm going in!!!)

Alright, I got revision 0.3 today, flashed and logged tonight.

I experienced a bit of the boggy response like I was getting prior to getting the AP when I first logged, but on second run, I got a smooth pull.
    Ray has given me a few ideas as to what this could be and we will be trying to fix this issue (coincidentally something he's experiencing, and something many people seem to experience on there cars).
    The log seems to show a lean afr when this happens though.

Here is my 4th gear WOT for revision 0.3:

Starting to feel a bit stronger now, definitely feels like the car is flowing and breathing easily when pulling.
    Requested the first 2 gears be tamed because 2nd lights up everywhere well and truly, and 1st,.. well that's just silly.

Ray also requested a 2-3-4 WOT run. Highest flow in this pull was 313g/s in 4th gear.

4th gear WOT on revision 0.3:

Ambient temperature = 14c
    60-100mph = 5.49s

--edit--

New graph with correct tyre size
    Last edited by GibbA; 15-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Can you post up you log so I can have a look-see?

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Can you post up you log so I can have a look-see?
    Sure can mate,

Here's the 4th WOT log from tonight on revision 0.3:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Holy crap Gibba have you checked too see that it is actually a KO4 in there? Who needs BT with those numbers , you must have a freak there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Holy crap Gibba have you checked too see that it is actually a KO4 in there? Who needs BT with those numbers , you must have a freak there mate.
    Was thinking the same thing... I'd be in no rush to swap that turbo...
    Also, you including your own weight gibba? 1445kg seems low...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I actually asked @GibbA the exact same thing thing
    Tuning these factory freaks is fun hehe @SarcasticOne ; the weight entered is due to a more accurate weight which was recently measured after the excess baggage was shed
    However i do also think that the immense unsprung weight has alot to do with Gibbs' fast MPS! since after adjustment in VD the power levels don't exactly line up with the 60-100 time.
    @GibbA, perhaps drop in the VD plot you get without modifying the weight i.e keep stock MPS weight (i would do it myself but my VD shows my logo in it so i can't)
    Last edited by Rayd; 15-10-2013 at 06:50 AM.

You'll see the weight of this one is 1445 and the others 1425, at the suspension day my car weighed 1416 with me in it and 1/3 tank of fuel. I'm using 1425 as my "tank half full" weight and 1445 as my "full tank weight" (both over estimates)
    I believe stock weight is 1404, but is this dry weight?
    Will do one with default weight, and im guessing I then just add my weight in! :-)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast