User Tag List

Thread: excessive oil consumption high km engine

Default excessive oil consumption high km engine

Hey fellas,

My mps 3 is using fair bit of oil, hit the min after about 2000km, many previous posts do indicate this is a possible issue with our cars.

Well I took my car to City Mazda and they gave her the all clear and said that higher km mps use a fair bit of oil.... there is no smoke at all, they cant see any oil in intake pipes..

... i'm stumped as to where the oil is going..

Has anyone used an oil additive/thickener or thicker viscosity oil in there mps I am considering trying this.

I'm currently using 'lube moli leichtlauf 10-40w' full synthetic oil.

I would recommend doing a compression and/or leak down test to check the state of the engine.

+1^ There is something not quite right. You might be burning oil under full load only, worn rings, or valve stem seals could be leaking. Then also don't miss the obvious, check for external oil leaks, check to see if there is oil where your car is usually parked.

That there will be my starting point if I were in your shoes. GL

As above. Compression test is your starting point. Follow that with a leak down test to see where leaks (if any) are coming from.
    Shouldn't need thicker oil than 10w40.

Thanks guys!, I had it compression tested 6 months ago and all was fine, perhaps I’ll get it checked again.

No external visible oil leaks.

I have been told it may be the turbo, and I am not noticing because its only leaking past the seals under load..

I put some nulon worn engine treatment in the oil on the weekend, ill see if that helps over the next few thousand km.

hmm no smoking on prolonged idle? if it was the turbo burning oil that bad I wouldve thought you would see it on idle as the vacuum pressure is lower on idle allowing more oil to seep past the turbo seals.

I had something similar'ish but my turbo oil return pipe was the issue. Even with new gaskets the bastard would still leak so I had to ThreeBond seal the pipe to the engine and that has worked. I've got 130 000km's up on the clock and I lose about 1/3 of my oil between services (I top up every couple of months).

Try changing your engine oil for a different brand. I was using Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic which is one of the cheapest synthetics around in 2 new cars and never had to add any oil. When I changed to Liqui Moly 5w30 full synthetic, one of the cars started using a little bit of oil.