User Tag List

Thread: Clicking from front of engine at any engine temp.

1. Default Clicking from front of engine at any engine temp.

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post. I have a feb 06 MPS6 with 77000kms on it and noticed the other day a clicking noise from the front of the engine. The clicking was only at idle and was there if the engine was hot or cold however more pronounced when hot. so I proceeded to put a stethoscope around the front of the engine. Praying it wasn't the vvt actuator or timing chain or tensioner I settled on the serpentine belt tensioner. loudly clicking as the load on the belt varied from A/C and power steering.

Problem solved until I got home and was doing a 3 point turn into my car park. The same clicking noise was back. only when the power steering was loaded up. It wasn't on a hard lock and I wasn't forcing the steering wheel so I got the missus out to hold the wheel under pressure while I once again went over it with a stethoscope and there was the same noise in the same area. (p/s pump quiet)

My thoughts: being an early 06 I will be doing all the timing components because its just the engines time to take a big fat **** on me because it is the timing chain tensioner noisy behind the cover, or it is a noisy pressure control valve somewhere in the p/s system or finally its the Alt. over run pulley however the noise is definitely more audible from underneath the alternator but seems to reverberate somewhat through the alternator.

If anyone can shed some light on whether or not I'm on the right track or if I just have to bite the bullet and do all the timing components it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

There is a good chance it could either be the serpentine belt auto tensioner doing its job, or that it is a bit shagged out.

If you can see if you can get a decent video with sound and post it up. That should allow us to give you more info.

3. Default

thanks for the reply LittleredMPS.

got stuck into it this morning. Turns out serpentine belt was stretched, changed the belt and noise gone.
    I had already changed the tensioner with a new one but I dont know if anyone has seen but on the genuine tensioner there is an arrow cast into tensioner that gives you an indication of belt stretch (will post photos). The belt had no visible signs of cracking through the pk grooves, but was still the genuine one. turns out the new tensioner was not running in its ideal area and was making the noise.