User Tag List

Thread: Is it my gearbox oil making this noise??

Default Is it my gearbox oil making this noise??

Hi everyone. I hope you guys can help me with an issue I am experiencing.

My car went in for a 100,000km service 2 weeks ago and the gearbox oil was replaced some sort of Penrite oil instead of the OEM Mazda oil.

Two weeks later, my Gen 1 MPS 3 developed a 'wong wong wong' noise at cruising speed. The sound is probably most obvious at 80-90 kph in 5th gear.

On some days, the noise would be quite noticeable but other days it's not that noticeable, so the noise is not exactly consistent. It sounds a little bit like busted wheel bearings.

Do you think most likely this noise has something to do with the new gearbox oil? Or is it something else?

I would really appreciate your feedback in this.

Thanks in advance!

It's normal I'm using penrite n it makes a same noise although some of gen 1 members are using 75-85 now n it works really well n less wong

Quote Originally Posted by Harry LuvzDrift View Post
    It's normal I'm using penrite n it makes a same noise although some of gen 1 members are using 75-85 now n it works really well n less wong
    I don't know about the sound being normal mate. It wasn't happening before..

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    I don't know about the sound being normal mate. It wasn't happening before..
    You might wanna take it back or come around Tomo. Crunchy gears or grinding at all?

Do a fairly sharp low speed turn (e.g. a u-turn) and see if you can hear it loudly. Almost guaranteed to be the "wong wong" noise. With some oils you can hear this noise, but it is not doing any damage to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Do a fairly sharp low speed turn (e.g. a u-turn) and see if you can hear it loudly. Almost guaranteed to be the "wong wong" noise. With some oils you can hear this noise, but it is not doing any damage to the car.
    I'm pretty sure I don't get a "wong wong" noise when doing a sharp turn at low speed. I know what you're talking about though, I used to get that noise when using the Mazda gearbox oil.

This is different issue though, where a "wong wong" noise (similar to a failed wheel bearing) occurs when I'm cruising at 50 kph and above driving straight.

It shouldn't do it at any time except a near lock turn at low speeds, which is normal in these things.

What spec was the Penrite? The MPS requires API GL-4 anywhere between 75W80 and 75W90.

If a GL-5 oil has been put in, this could be the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free