User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 Lower control arms compared to MPS6

Default Mazda 6 Lower control arms compared to MPS6

Hey guys,

I've hunted around for some time to find an answer for this.

How dissimilar are standard FWD Mazda6 front lower control arms to the MPS6 arms?
    Are they the same dimensions? And do they fit?

Repco want around $250 per arm (and you need all four), while a whole set of standard 6 ones can be bought for $230 online.

I've looked at Summit Racing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beck-Arnley-...item19e137de64) and their listing for mazdaspeed 6 LCA's seem to return mazda 6 ones as well. Eyeballing the parts, they appear to be the same.

Has anyone tried this at all? There's lots of Front bushings threads on ozmps but none of them have any information that I've been able to find useful here...

Cheers.

Aaron
    Last edited by MadAussie; 20-09-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    MPS6

I'll check the manual and see if there's any part numbers to cross reference it against the standard 6 later on and let you know

Cheers man,

I've ordered these: 4 Front Lower Control ARM Mazda 6 03 08 | eBay
    And plan to fit my super pro urethane bushes into them before they go on the car...

So soon enough I'll let everyone know definitively whether or not standard ones work lol... BUT if someone wants to confirm for me beforehand (and yeah part numbers will be epic Spoon) it would be excellent.

So.... part numbers I couldnt find... however I dont think there is any differences between the two from my quick reading so far...

Thank you so much for having a look anyway man

Well once these things arrive, I'll do a full write up and walk through, including pressing urethane into them, and whether or not you can *actually* re-press the balljoints on the arms themselves.

For science!

@ttshark will know

The only thing I could find to make a difference is "low friction ball joints" which, I don't think means anything in terms of fit.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post

Well once these things arrive, I'll do a full write up and walk through, including pressing urethane into them, and whether or not you can *actually* re-press the balljoints on the arms themselves.

For science!
    You can do actually replace the ball joint on the arms only ONCE. From what i have done genuine BMW part have a marking on the ball joint when you buy it separate to show that it has been replaced before so you don't do it again. But if you buy a new control arm with the ball joint it's got a different marking.

As everytime you press a new one the cone shape will change thus it's not as tight.

Not sure if what i've said makes sense to anyone

Thanks guys, and yeah @tukangbaso that makes sense. Do you have the bmw part number by any chance?

Once the original arms come out, I'll press a new ball joint into them. If I'm going to replace the ball joint once, I might as well use the highest quality part I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Thanks guys, and yeah @tukangbaso that makes sense. Do you have the bmw part number by any chance?

Once the original arms come out, I'll press a new ball joint into them. If I'm going to replace the ball joint once, I might as well use the highest quality part I can find.
    oh sorry i meant i was replacing one on a old e30 bmw not retrofit a bmw to a mazda.

So, here's the results...

The ball joints' sleeve is much larger in diameter on the MPS6 (27.5mm) than the stock 6.

Now, I'm thinking that to move forward, I have two options. The first which is clearly the one most people will consider as being more sensible, is to buy genuine MPS6 arms. (Can someone with contacts let me know where the cheapest place to source these are?)

The other idea, is to fabricate sleeves for the ball joints to sit in. I'm going to talk to a mech workshop later on and see if that's viable.
    MPS6

Is the MPS one shorter or am I seeing things?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 4

can the sleeve off the old mps ones be removed? remember they have been jammed on the arms for a few years. they might take some persuasion to remove.

The angle of the bejangle looks slightly different also, source the right parts and save your self the hassel! being tight should never be a priority.

Oh this is just for research sake MPS2NV. It's worth the effort to see what else can retrofit to these things, considering that in a few years parts will become harder and harder to source.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    can the sleeve off the old mps ones be removed? remember they have been jammed on the arms for a few years. they might take some persuasion to remove.
    We tried that, and promptly broke the pulling tool, lol
    MPS6

Hey Aaron, Mazda is expensive as hell. I can get it for around 336-410 plus gst. You don't happen to have a part number for those arms you got of repco my guy cant seem to locate them under mazda6 mps

Necrothread-update - now with added information for extra goodness..!!

So what I can tell about the trailing lower control arms, is that the normal 6 & MPS are apparently different. I referenced against www.jimellismazdaparts.com and the stock numbers are different.

The lower control arms have the same stock code of - GR1A34300A ; GR1A-34-300; GR1A34300 -

Which doesn't explain why @MadAussie has that huge sleeve on his stock LCA... I'm thinking that it's an actual metal bush/insert from the hub assembly - i.e. this BUSH. FRONT AXLE for 2007 MazdaSpeed6. #GJ6A33024C

Soo... in thoery Aaron has a perfectly good LCA sitting around but just needs a way to get that bush off his factory one.

However - a number of people on MSF have installed the following:
    Dorman DOR-520-809
    Mevotech ME MS76105 & ME MS76106
    And Moog tie rod ends MOG ES800027 / ES800028
    Interestingly the mevotech seem to have greasable ball joints.

That's my new shopping list right there.

Also, decided to jump back on the forum since the bemoaning of facebook was pretty legitimate. Hello hello.

Ha! Welcome back!

I'm going to get a new set of LCAs soon as my inner bushes are stuffed and clicktasticly noisey. Just susing out my options brand wise.

You can get febest ones on eBay for like $50 a side, but I'm still considering other options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast