User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-badged The Back And Glue Stuck On Car

Default De-badged The Back And Glue Stuck On Car

So.. I just de-badged the back and there is bits of glue that is still stuck on which I find hard to rub off. Does anyone have any idea's how to make this easier for me to take off? I want to be sure that I don't scratch off the paint just using any product.

My computer almost exploded with "how to's" in Google. Do you research dude, but it seems 3M make a general purposed adhesive remover!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    My computer almost exploded with "how to's" in Google. Do you research dude, but it seems 3M make a general purposed adhesive remover!!
    Thanks, I did try google, but also read things like "From what I have read and from what I have seen done in my shop it doesn't look like you will be able remove the glue. It burns into the paint as soon as it touch's the surface. Our detail department has never been able to remove glue once it set's it self in. Would be interested if you find a way to remove it". Which is why I thought I'd ask here for specific products people might have used as the glue that is stuck on my paint is rock solid hard and won't budge.

3M wax and grease remover mate, bit of heat wouldn't hurt either to soften the glue

wax and grease remover as above or orange spot goo remover
    Sticky Spot & Goo Dissolver | OrangePower.com.au used it on the rex works ok wax and grease remover stinks so bad and i was getting high

Thanks Guys. Nice input.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    3M wax and grease remover mate, bit of heat wouldn't hurt either to soften the glue

Yep! Supercheap auto is your friend
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Wax and grease remover is one of those products everyone needs to have in there kit all the time! Paint plastics, removes goo, tar etc Its great

WD-40 works a treat

Turps also works, but just take it slow.
    Apply heat (lightly!) from a heat gun and you can peel away with your fingers.

11. Default

nonononononononononoooooooo!!!!

dont use any solvent... seriously... will require a very good polish after!

save yourself time, and do it properely.

go to your paint shop and ask for a pin stripe remover aka caramel wheel. Its a rubber wheel (caramel colour) that goes into your drill. This is what you should be removing adhesive from paint with.
    If you use it correctly you will not damage the pain. Will only require a sealant over the paint (no abrasive polished required).

few quick passes with that and its all gone! costs about $12.

however... if you sit there and hit the same one spot without "passing over it" it will burn your clear coat.

12. Default

Google this

"caramel wheel pinstripe remover"
    this is what you should use.

weirdly my sp20 also pops up from a thread on M24/7 lol

all you need to use is eucalyptus oil, use a light polishing compound after to remove the holograms. Done it numerous times

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    all you need to use is eucalyptus oil, use a light polishing compound after to remove the holograms. Done it numerous times
    I used a blow dryer to heat it up, eucalyptus oil and also scratch x to clean it all up. All that's left is the rock solid glue.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Krs View Post
    I used a blow dryer to heat it up, eucalyptus oil and also scratch x to clean it all up. All that's left is the rock solid glue.
    and that's why caramel wheel should be used.
    takes the adhesive straight off, does not damage the clear coat, does not leave hazing or holograms and does not require abrasive polished.
    Just wash the panel like normal, and apply a sealant.

also smells awesome once they get warm

and it also takes soo much less time and effort

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    and that's why caramel wheel should be used.
    takes the adhesive straight off, does not damage the clear coat, does not leave hazing or holograms and does not require abrasive polished.
    Just wash the panel like normal, and apply a sealant.

also smells awesome once they get warm

and it also takes soo much less time and effort
    Thanks man, will get it this weekend.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Krs View Post
    Thanks man, will get it this weekend.
    cannot stress enough... you must take it easy with these. light pressure and "sweep" across the area.
    never sit in the same spot. 3-4 light passes and it will all be gone

you should also go along the panel against the rotation on the caramel wheel.
    i.e. if the wheel is turning in a clockwise direction... you sweep along the panel from right to left.

Yes solvents will remove any wax/polish etc.
    However....
    There is no wax or polish where the badges were , so you should polish it anyway

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Yes solvents will remove any wax/polish etc.
    However....
    There is no wax or polish where the badges were , so you should polish it anyway
    solvents will require abrasive polishes to be used for correction of the damage caused by them. e.g. Scrath X, swirl remover etc, and then a final sealant needed.

as i stated in my first post and the ones after that you require sealant... caramel wheel will only require a sealant (non abrasive).

why damage your paint and take longer than it should when you don't have to?
    right tool for the right job.

I've never had 'damage' caused by eucalyptus oil. You need to put enough on to soak the residue then it basically wipes away. The holograms left are not from the solvent, its from the badge being stuck to the paint for so long. My opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast