User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox

Default Gearbox

Hey guys,

Changing gears from first to second and sometimes from second sounds like a bit of a crunching noise, although it has no trouble going into gear whatsoever.

Do you guys think i should change the gearbox oil? or do something else?

Hi mate,

I can't offer any advice, apart from point you in this direction --> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...il-thread.html <--
    cheers.

Triple synchros on a sports car... Well done Mazda (not...)

The only thing you can do is slow down shifts
    Mine's very grumpy when cold, but OK once it's warmed up...

Thanks for the link, and will definitely slow down shifting from now on. Thanks guys

Because RACECAR! haha.
    Come to think of it, if i try shift reallyfast! it does make a bit of a crunchy sound, but that's 2nd AND third, and that's not driving normally. Driving normally it's fine

haha yep because race car haha, see i only drive 10 - 15 k's to work, not a lot of time for the gearbox fluid to warm up so thats probably why i notice the crunching pretty often.

I find 2nd to 3rd the hardest with crunches due to fail gear changes.

Like Sam, I shift very slowly or double clutch whilst everything is coming up to temperature.

Interesting tidbit - I have found cold shifts and gear gate locks a touch worse/more prominent with the CPE S2 REM.

Double clutching is working a treat! Thanks

10. Default

What a sucky gearbox....my rex - cold/hot/fast/slow it will change gears no ifs no buts...even my mums sp23 has no issues

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 4

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daoutlawz View Post
    What a sucky gearbox....my rex - cold/hot/fast/slow it will change gears no ifs no buts...even my mums sp23 has no issues

your rex + Drag strip (or any abuse for that matter) = BOOOMMMM
    now that's what i call a sucky gear box

Its the down side to having tripple cone sincro's.
    Cold they tend to nick. But once warm they are smooth.
    all you have to do is adjust your shifting style for the first 5mins.

12. Default

That's with any box, no car out of factory is made for the drag strip especially constant.

And it's far from smooth even when warm, it's one of the biggest issues with this car otherwise it would be tops

13. Default

That's with any box, no car out of factory is made for the drag strip especially constant.

And it's far from smooth even when warm, it's one of the biggest issues with this car otherwise it would be tops

no... wrx are known for smashing gearboxes... even on the street!

and besides... mine has 33,000k's on the clock and was certainly not abused!
    even when cold i do not have any of the issues listed.

mine is very smooth hot cold too.
    but shifting fast on a tripple cone sincro when cold will prematurely wear them.
    which is where most of this issues that others are having arrise from.
    also alot to do with changed geometry of shifter due to crap house engine mounts!

14. Default

Lol so many excuses for a car that obviously has issues. Instead of us creating threads about how we can spend more money fixing an isseue we shouldn't have we should pull our forces together and do a petition

It's all a compromise... You want to have a high torque output, you need to have a gearbox to handle it sufficiently.

I'd rather have to shift differently for the first few minutes of driving and have my mountain of torque thank you very much!

Lol so many excuses for a car that obviously has issues. Instead of us creating threads about how we can spend more money fixing an isseue we shouldn't have we should pull our forces together and do a petition

Spending money to fix or improve an 'issue' with the platform is the nature of the modding beast!

16. Default

clearly does not understand what a triple cone sincroniser is! rofl

shifting different for 5mins is better than dropping a box

17. Default

I can't believe that people actually accept this.

I've driven so many high powered manual cars with zero gearbox issues. Not one blown or even hesitant to shift, shift fast or slow. You disrespect any car and after a while it will start to give, that's any car.

Mps, I jump in and change normally doing normal speeds and I have to resort to double clutching and/or shift extremely slowely...yeah it's cause we have a bad ass box with triple synchros so it's race durable, but can't change for shit lol

accept it or not (or shit gearbox or not) The car's already made and produced. Like a petition do anything..........if anything people will just laugh at you even doing up the petition. Most people will go...."if you don't like it, find something else"

Driven an manual Ferrari?
    One of the nastiest gearboxes you will ever come across, when cold. Lovely when warm. Its normal.

My Focus gearbox is nicer than the MPS, but from early reports, not nearly as tough as the MPS.
    My MPS gearbox I don't think was too bad, it was either a freak of a box or all you people who complain really need to get out and drive a few more cars!
    That said, it was better feeling than dads 6 MPS.
    Don't ask me what oil was in it because i have no idea. I never changed it, bought thecar with 40,000km and i did a further 60,000. Wasn't going to touch it because there was nothing wrong with it.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

20. Default

Yeah I get that, and I'm driving it so there's no denying I like the car overall. I was making a statement that the gearbox was sucky and it is, there's no point in defending it or denying it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast