User Tag List

Thread: JBR Passenger Motor Mount Impressions

1. Default JBR Passenger Motor Mount Impressions

Thought I'd post my impressions of the JBR Passenger Motor Mount 70 duro (for our Aus car its on the driver's side)

Why:
    When revving the engine I had noticed the Drivers side of the engine moving (twisting) more than the transmission side. In deciding on the duro I went with the 70 duro to better balance the Corksport TMM inserts I currently have.

Installation:
    Fairly easy actually. It should take between an hour and 1.5 hrs. Followed the JBR instructions which were very well written. One of the easier mods to do.

The frustrating bit was removing the coolant reservoir out of the way. The rear lug connection took about 10 mins for me to get loose. Once this is off the OEM mount is right there for the taking.

The other fiddly bit was relocating the earthing strap. Took about 5 mins of careful thought to have confidence that what I was doing was correct. It's basically to ensure the engine is bonded (earthed) to the chassis/body. Here's a photo of the relocated strap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMM earth strap.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	15138
    And here is a photo of the installed mount:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMM installed.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	15139

The stock PMM is very weak. You can move it with your thumb with a bit of pressure. Imagine the movement the torque monster disi engine can do to the OEM PMM.

Impressions:
    I already have a JBR 88a RMM and Corksport TMM inserts so bear that in mind. Also I have only put about 100km on the mount since installation.

• The mount is very solidly built. The build quality gives confidence from an engineering perspective compared to the OEM version. It just looks so much stronger.
    • Shifts have improved by a further 50% to 70%. I can't believe how much of a difference it has made over the RMM and the inserts. Shifts are effortless and precise. This is how the stock shifter should feel.
    • Torque steer has reduced considerably (probably a further 50% to 75% from what it was). I thought I was low before but now its great. Can only imagine what it would be like with a proper TMM. Feels so much smoother when feeding power around curves.
    • Vibrations have only slightly increased and is most felt through the pedals and steering wheel, and seems to compliment the 88a RMM I have. The overrun vibes that i had from the 88a RMM have actually decreased. I don't mind the vibes, makes me feel connected to the car. I'm sure it will settle in time.
    • Cabin Noise has increased. There is more transfer of engine noise into the cabin, and so has changed the note of the engine. The best way i can describe it is that the engine now sounds like an angry beast, it certainly growls I can now hear the uneven burble of the engine/exhaust more in the cabin. Again, it's not overbearing and is very enjoyable during spirited driving moments. Not sure how it will settle over time. I'll keep an eye (or more appropriately an ear) on it.

Cheers to @EdgeAutosport.com for the good labor day deal and to @jbarone for another quality product

You're lucky you didn't do all 3 at once
    But yeah, having all 3 mounts done to your car does wonders for how it feels

Nice work Alex

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    You're lucky you didn't do all 3 at once
    But yeah, having all 3 mounts done to your car does wonders for how it feels
    Yeah, i can only imagine how good 3 mounts would be, but doing them individually certainly gives good understanding what each contribute to the overall feel, torque steer reduction, NVH, and smiles

Default JBR Passenger Motor Mount Impressions

Very nice review thanks man! Pretty much settles my questions. Had the jbr thrillology set in mind anyway, seems a lot more certain after reading that!

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...tml#post267504 <-- my impressions as i've gone along
    first 3-400km are going to be nasty (if doing all 3 at once) but 1000km in, and a track day done, 0 issues with them!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...tml#post267504 <-- my impressions as i've gone along
    first 3-400km are going to be nasty (if doing all 3 at once) but 1000km in, and a track day done, 0 issues with them!
    Yeh I was following yours as well but the 88a really scared me. I almost bought the focus rmm at one stage because I'm so scared of extra NVH.
    Going to buy the 3 set at 70a as NVH should settle down into almost like stock after 1000ks or so from what I gather..

8. Default

Just installed JBR PMM and TMM 70 Duro, already had a 75duro RMM for my genpoop. Gearchanges are even firmer, slack gone when power around corners, heaps of vibes, heaps of noise, box sounds like a dog box.

Im sure it will loosen over time. Couldnt imagine 80-85 duro Tmm, pmm that sht crayyyy stiff.

Hopefully i dont get 3rd gear lockout/crunch and hop anymore.