User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fit IPOD adapter to Mazda 6

You gotta put the 2 bottom hooks on then lift it up until you can put the little strut like thing on (on the left side) then squeeze the sides again and push closed. If you still get stuck i can post photos later today

lol just make sure you align the 2 tabs at the bottom then its a piece of cake.

3. Default

Reviving this thread, i have just got a mazda 6 mps and would like to install an AUX input.
    Is anyone able to recommend where i can get one from (locally at shops or on Ebay) and if so which models would people recommend?

Also regarding installation, after the glove box is removed, does this provide access to the back of the stereo? and then they just plug in?

Cheers

Personally I installed the Grom Audio USB / Bluetooth / Aux / iPod box. Works quite well, getting better with each firmware update. About $270 I think from Grom audio.

Removing the glovebox is easy. Open, disconnect slow-open arm from LHS ( just un-clips ) then open wide and pull out.

Put it on the back seat not on your garage floor so you don't trip over it and scratch the shit out of it like I did mine! :-)

Aux adaptor is the cd stacker input, which from memory is just below the antenna cable on the back of the stereo which is easy to find. If you slide the chair back and have good light plus small hands you'll get in there to plug it in.

If you can't get to it, removing the whole unit isn't hard - lots of YouTube videos to show you how.
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

Sorry - grom box was purchased from cushie audio online.

6. Default

thanks, that was pretty much what i was looking for

Welcome :-)

@tims - you seem to have experience regarding the GROM USB2 so you might be able to assist....

I'm thinking of getting one from Cushie Audio for my 2005 6 mps, but the website states that some Mazda6s (between 2003-2005) require soldering in the head unit to work. Did you have to do this for yours, or was it a simple plug-in and go?

Also I'm curious as to where you put your microphone, and whether it can be situated somewhere discrete (like looping the cable through the space of the steering wheel adjustment, and sticking the microphone on the left-side dash of the steering wheel). I like to be neat .

Cheers!

Hi Kombi,

Mine is a 2007 so it was just plug-n-play fro me. For you I believe you are correct, you need to do some basic soldering. Removing the radio unit is quite easy when you know how - I used some youtube videos..

To give you an idea; http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/car-a...tml#post221726

The microphone lead is quite long on those Grom units and I HATE wires kicking around (hence the GPS install).. so I ran mine up the drivers A-pillar just tucked under the black rubber seal, and glued to the plastic up there. (That's an airbag behind that panel I think... safe? who knows..) Then I just used some velcro ties to secure it to existing looms under the dashboard, across and behind the radio where I stashed the box.
    The cables for the USB and iPod just hang inside the glovebox - I didn't make any holes for those. The bluetooth antenna sits with the grom box all tucked up and cable tied in.

It all (GPS included) has the appearance of a factory option on my car.

The Grom is good, the only drawbacks I've got with it is that if you are listening to the radio and your phone rings, by the time you switch the radio to CD changer and it connects, you've already lost the call, and secondly my iPhone occasionally won't auto connect to it, you have to go in to settings on the phone and press 'connect'.

It used to have many more bugs, so I just sent a video in to gromaudio.com and they sent me back a new firmware to try which resolved all the major issues... so it's good that they're quite responsive.

Good Luck.

@Kombi It's only the Series 1 '05 models that require mods. I built my own aux input for my '05 and it worked without any additional soldering.

Cheers,
    Jon

Hey thanks guys, looks like I'll be budgeting for one soon.

Looks like you've got a neat setup there @tims. I too have questioned the safety of wiring through the A-pillar (I have a Blackvue camera wired through the passenger's side)....I wonder if anyone knows? Was it difficult building your own AUX input @UnsettledHawk?

Out of curiosity, I just attempted to remove the centre dash console which wasn't too difficult (except someone appears to have glued the gear knob on!). Also I have discovered an OEM Mazda iPod interface unit attached to the head unit port where the GROM should be, however I can't seem to detach the damn cable....looks like I'll try again tomorrow. FYI, the OEM iPod unit is dated as it can only play music via head unit controls and cannot be used to charge iDevices.

Not at all @Kombi. There's instructions on one of the American Mazda forums. Very basic though, just audio, but it cost a grand total of $0

When I've run things up to the roof through the A-pillar, I've always run cables behind the airbag where possible (battery disconnected and waited obviously!!). Just in case.

Bah they only go a little bit bang once :-)

I figure the cable is so thin and the mic so flimsy it'll just break if it did get in the way. I think being under the rubber seal its ok as long as not under the plastic airbag cover.

14. Default

Hi, just wondering if anyone here still has the instructions for the Ipod/bluetooth adapter bought through EQ's group buy many years ago. I'm trying to get the bluetooth part to work, I can connect to it and my phone will start playing but I get no sound. I've read through that thread (which is now closed) and this one but still can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.

From what I understand, once I connect the phone via bluetooth, I should then be able to go to CD input and then press the repeat button to use the bluetooth connection but nothing happens.

Apologies if it's a stupid question, i've only recently bought this car and I think the last owner didn't even realise it had bluetooth.

I hope to be a regular here and eventually be able to contribute to the forum, if anyone is interested it's the same car that Blackbetty used to own. Maybe I will post some pics when I get time, it doesn't look like it's changed much from when they had it.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12