User Tag List

Thread: Sandpapering and buffing

1. Default Sandpapering and buffing

So, I've had a lot of experience with machine polishing a number of cars including my own and friends.

With my heaviest grade polish and my hardest compound I couldn't move this nasty piece of work that's been on my car since I owned it.

I'd heard of people using sand paper to remove scratches but having never used it before I was little aprehensive but my front bumper ios being respsrayed anyway because the colours don't match so I figure i'll have nothing to lose,

I brought a couple of sheets of 2000 grit went & dry sand paper, cut up a 1cm by 2cm piece, wet both sand paper and the paint surfance then lightly went over the scratches in the direction they run.

After you go over it and dry off the water it looks something like this:

At this point I hit it with the coarsest cutting compound I had and the heaviest pad I had on my Mint Pro DA on a medium settings and polished it up a bit.

The result.... was better then expected.

I later hit this with 4 more compound grades and pad combinations to come up with a better finish but it got too dark to get a photo, so I'll edit this later.

I went on to practice on a few other areas on the bumper before moving onto the body when I was brave enough.

Still there, can you see it?

If you have any questions let me know

Cheers
    SOE

Wow!!!
    What polishing compounds did you specifically use?

That's amazing

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Wow!!!
    What polishing compounds did you specifically use?

That's amazing

These are the compounds I used

Despite being "sampler" kit I've done whole cars many times with these.

I finished off the buffing with my softest pad and Meguires Techwax 2.0

It's then sealed using Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

However for first example I only used the SF 500 and an aggressive cutting pad.