User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do rear brakes usually last?

Fair enough

What I got quoted from Mazda to change the front rotors and pads, I ended up going aftermarket for my Front and Rear rotors, pads all round, braided brakes lines and fluid for about the same price

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Sorry. You'll have to ask that Mazda Tech @Brooksyman. If you have a lip, then I'd say there about done, but that's only what I've been told

With the Kms you have, I'd say that's about right
    Weird. I got Mazda to install my remsa pads last year and they machined the lip off the oem disks. Cost a bunch, but was doable. :S

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    No measurement on what that unacceptable level was though? Mine have quite a lip on the front, stock rotors im guessing as I'm at 94,000km.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4
    fronts 23mm
    rears 9mm

Fair enough

What I got quoted from Mazda to change the front rotors and pads, I ended up going aftermarket for my Front and Rear rotors, pads all round, braided brakes lines and fluid for about the same price
    Funny how that happens. And for that price you've now got a much better setup! That's why I figure I may as well do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    fronts 23mm
    rears 9mm
    Thanks
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

5. Default

Fair enough

@slixx, how much did that cost you all up? Thinking about changing front rotors to DBA slotted and rear to standard oem replacement rotors.

Default How long do rear brakes usually last?

Quote Originally Posted by akira View Post
    @slixx, how much did that cost you all up? Thinking about changing front rotors to DBA slotted and rear to standard oem replacement rotors.
    Can't remember off the top of my head. @gslrallysport gave me a good deal. Still reckon the DBA T2s will be cheaper than OEM rear rotors.

In saying that, I can't see the rear rotors ever needing changing as they don't wear at an excessive rate

I put DBA T3s at the front and DBA T2s at the back as the rears do little braking and they look all the same. Remsa Pads all round, braided brake lines and Penrite Brake Fluid. I think it was supplied to me for under $900 and Mazda wanted $450 only for each front rotor
    Last edited by slixx; 05-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

7. Default

I meant dba oem replacement rotors for the rear. Yeah I'll see how they are first but fronts definitely needs changing.

Thanks @slixx.

IF your in sydney, i got my T3's from here:
    Contact Race Brakes Sydney | Race Brakes Sydney

I was charged $195 per disc for the front.

Remsa front pads Cost $95.

Couldn't find a better deal then that, but shop around.

If you want OEM replacement ones check out the thread about tom Kerr Mazda, they're offering wholesale price on Mazda parts, can't link it at the moment sorry

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

If you in Melbourne hit up trade brake n clutch on prinny Springvale

11. Default

Yeah don't do rotors unless you need too. And I cannot stress this enough DO NOT get your rotors machines get a new set. If you can get a set of slotted for the front and if your doing pads may as well do rotors and vice versa. To be brakes in I drive to about 80 kmh hit the brakes hard (not extremely hard) go to about 20 kmh, do that about 3-5 times and brakes are bedded in

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksyman View Post
    Yeah don't do rotors unless you need too. And I cannot stress this enough DO NOT get your rotors machines get a new set. If you can get a set of slotted for the front and if your doing pads may as well do rotors and vice versa. To be brakes in I drive to about 80 kmh hit the brakes hard (not extremely hard) go to about 20 kmh, do that about 3-5 times and brakes are bedded in
    Your a champion.... my front brakes have a 3mm lip on them im guessing im up for new rotors

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4
    ~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

@Brooksyman its interesting that you say don't machine the rotors. It was to my understanding that you can machine the rotors provided that it is still serviceable AFTER the rotors being machined.

I thought that when putting on new pads on used rotors, you need to match the surfaces otherwise the existing grooves on the rotors will become heat spots as they will contact with the flat pad during bedding in

14. Default

Yeah but why spend money getting rotors machined when you can get a new set for near the same cost?

doesn't machining only cost like $100 or something? Plus I wouldn't want to spend an additional $400 everytime I change pads when there's still life in the rotors left ... Historically I've gone through at least 2 sets of pads per set of front rotors.

16. Default

Mine needs changing at 39k already. The previous owner seems to be a racer boy..

Tap that...

Quote Originally Posted by gurusev View Post
    Mine needs changing at 39k already. The previous owner seems to be a racer boy..

Tap that...
    Rotors or pads? If rotors, "racer boy" prob is an understatement
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Rotors or pads? If rotors, "racer boy" prob is an understatement
    Lol, front rotors and pads..

Tap that...

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    doesn't machining only cost like $100 or something? Plus I wouldn't want to spend an additional $400 everytime I change pads when there's still life in the rotors left ... Historically I've gone through at least 2 sets of pads per set of front rotors.
    Yes machining is cheap and an easy way out but if you want brake shudder and poor braking go ahead and machine. I can get a full set of pads and rotors for $200-400 depends what you want.

AFAIK the OEM rotors cannot be machined as there isn't enough to take off already worn disc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast