User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autotech camshaft wear

Default Autotech camshaft wear

Might be a good idea for people using autotech HPFP upgrades to inspect the wear on the camshaft lobes! I recently did a repair that required the HPFP to be removed and I noticed some definate wear on the camshaft lobes, the wear is in the centre of the lobe (all 3) the bucket is fine but looks as though there is a definate relationship with the HPFP pumping element and the contact point on the in side of the bucket transferring to the camshaft.

This car had 128k, with pump internals being roughly 5k running a fully synthetic penrite oil.

The possible causes of wear in this case maybe from the previous HPFP being faulty, incorrect installation of the HPFP kit, tune related with HPFP upgrade, the oil used and intervals between changes or may even be a side effect of the worn timing chain...

Maybe we can use this thread to post details and pics of cam lobes before changing HPFP internals?

Include following info;

current pic of lobes
    K's at install
    date of install
    engine oil used
    service intervals
    HPFP internals/ complete unit used
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	15067  
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 04-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

How long have you had the HPFP installed , rough klms etc.

It has been installed for about 2 months about 5000km

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

that is a lot of wear for just 5000km
    @EdgeAutosport.com how you guys seen/heard of this type of wear before?

That's a bit scary. Is there usually wear from the stock hpfp? I.e. can you actually attribute this to 5000km with autotech vs 8 years of wear with the stock hpfp?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    It has been installed for about 2 months about 5000km

Who installed it and was the whole pump stripped down and cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    That's a bit scary. Is there usually wear from the stock hpfp? I.e. can you actually attribute this to 5000km with autotech vs 8 years of wear with the stock hpfp?

good point. also can you physically feel the wear or is it just surface 'tarnish'?

Quote Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
    Who installed it and was the whole pump stripped down and cleaned?
    I installed it with a step by step instructions that come with the internals and the one on you tube that everyone recommends to go off... the pump not fully De assembled but cleaned throughly... I help @KFuNk do his aswell so this wansnt the first time fp internals install..

~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

Only way to tell is someone who has stock fp internals and have a look... maybe @MPS2NV when he does the stock ms6 can see if the wear is the same

~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

That doesn't look too good.......

Aren't the cams loabs meant to be hardened?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 4

How much do you have to remove to check that part of the cam?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

I just updated the 1st post

May not be from the HPFP internal upgrade but def something to pay attention too!

Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

The camshaft lobes aren't pitted out or chipped but the wear is certainly enough to discolour the lobes and appears to worn past the hardend surface.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    good point. also can you physically feel the wear or is it just surface 'tarnish'?

I have Cp-e HPFP, over the last 10k there has been no noticable wear at the times I have checked.

Usually the housing doesnt need to be removed for a HPFP upgrade, so for anyone to inspect lobes they will need to remove the bucket and get right over the engine to have a visual check of current lobe condition.

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    Only way to tell is someone who has stock fp internals and have a look... maybe @MPS2NV when he does the stock ms6 can see if the wear is the same

They are, the lobes are treated during manufacture, this doesn't mean they wont wear, just increases its resistance to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Aren't the cams loabs meant to be hardened?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 4

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    that is a lot of wear for just 5000km
    @EdgeAutosport.com how you guys seen/heard of this type of wear before?
    I've never seen that much wear before. And since the Autotech internals reuse the factory spring, I wouldn't think there would be too much increased pressure on the cam lobe. We have Autotechs in our shop car for 15,000 miles, and I had a CPe fuel pump on my car for 70,000 miles and never saw any wear to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAutosport.com View Post
    I've never seen that much wear before. And since the Autotech internals reuse the factory spring, I wouldn't think there would be too much increased pressure on the cam lobe. We have Autotechs in our shop car for 15,000 miles, and I had a CPe fuel pump on my car for 70,000 miles and never saw any wear to be concerned about.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.. :/
    The only other thing that could contribute to wear would be that the autotech shaft is harder than the cam lobe? Either that or the shaft was not lubricated properly so it has a higher resistance when sliding through the piston, meaning greater force on that cam.

I think it best to check out some other peoples cam shafts to verify if this might be a one off or something to be concerned about.
    @EdgeAutosport.com, when you say you've never seen any wear, how often have you looked at the shaft lobe for signs of wear though? I don't imagine it'd be something that you'd check very often :/
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Its definitely something that Autotech are aware of. I recently installed one in my car and noticed a disclaimer sheet that came with it, explaining that they are not responsible for such cam lobe wear.

If I recall correctly, the explanation mentioned that because the piston was pushing increased fuel pressures more regularly there would be more pressures put on the lobe to force the piston forward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast