User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autotech camshaft wear

Suggesting that wear was more likely if you drove your car hard a lot of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by DannersAU View Post
    Its definitely something that Autotech are aware of. I recently installed one in my car and noticed a disclaimer sheet that came with it, explaining that they are not responsible for such cam lobe wear.

If I recall correctly, the explanation mentioned that because the piston was pushing increased fuel pressures more regularly there would be more pressures put on the lobe to force the piston forward.
    isn't that disclaimer for VW/Audi cars?

It's the same pump, hence disclaimer for them as well

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    The pump is but thought I read that our cams had hardened lobes?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    isn't that disclaimer for VW/Audi cars?
    The disclaimer regarding the wear of the cam follower (not cam lobe) does not relate to us as our cam follower is a better construction than the vw's. I think you guys may be confusing the two.

ah yes, which would mean that wear on the cam lobe itself is something that may not be well documented. I am assuming that the condition of the cam lobe can't be inspected unless the valve cover is off?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    ah yes, which would mean that wear on the cam lobe itself is something that may not be well documented. I am assuming that the condition of the cam lobe can't be inspected unless the valve cover is off?
    I'm pretty sure they mention the cam lobe as well in the disclaimer. Heck they even mention engine failure

Rocker cover needs to be removed to inspect the lobes.

Its definitely something that Autotech are aware of. I recently installed one in my car and noticed a disclaimer sheet that came with it, explaining that they are not responsible for such cam lobe wear.

If I recall correctly, the explanation mentioned that because the piston was pushing increased fuel pressures more regularly there would be more pressures put on the lobe to force the piston forward.
    That's interesting as the piston it not secured in place its flooting on the shaft...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I had my cover off recently didn't notice any wear problems, I have 10000-15000 ks on mine

This is exactly what I was thinking.. :/
    The only other thing that could contribute to wear would be that the autotech shaft is harder than the cam lobe? Either that or the shaft was not lubricated properly so it has a higher resistance when sliding through the piston, meaning greater force on that cam.

I think it best to check out some other peoples cam shafts to verify if this might be a one off or something to be concerned about.
    @EdgeAutosport.com, when you say you've never seen any wear, how often have you looked at the shaft lobe for signs of wear though? I don't imagine it'd be something that you'd check very often :/
    When installed it it had more lubrication on it than the motor had so if anyone is suggesting I have installed wrong they can go and jam it... I installed it by how the instructions where and watch the youtube videos as I was doing it.... it was installed as everyone elses that I have seen...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4
    ~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

Quote Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
    The disclaimer regarding the wear of the cam follower (not cam lobe) does not relate to us as our cam follower is a better construction than the vw's. I think you guys may be confusing the two.
    Here is what I was referring to. It refers to both the follower and the lobe, specifically lobe wear.

http://www.autotech.com/download/fuelPump.pdf
    Dan - '06 Liquid Silver 6 MPS

Cobb AP | Cobb SRI | TIH | Autotech HPFP | Turbosmart Dual-Port BOV | Hyperflow Mufflers | CP-e Rear Engine Mount | JBR EGR Delete

"both street unit and autotech says this is a non issue for mazdaspeed3. only applies to certain cams for VW and Audi"

quoted from mazda3forums. being honest, I doubt the cause will be identified. first case of it happening and it could taper down to many factors such as how it was driven prior to installation.

Quote Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
    "both street unit and autotech says this is a non issue for mazdaspeed3. only applies to certain cams for VW and Audi"

quoted from mazda3forums. being honest, I doubt the cause will be identified. first case of it happening and it could taper down to many factors such as how it was driven prior to installation.
    Cool I am more than happy to have been corrected
    Dan - '06 Liquid Silver 6 MPS

Cobb AP | Cobb SRI | TIH | Autotech HPFP | Turbosmart Dual-Port BOV | Hyperflow Mufflers | CP-e Rear Engine Mount | JBR EGR Delete

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    When installed it it had more lubrication on it than the motor had so if anyone is suggesting I have installed wrong they can go and jam it... I installed it by how the instructions where and watch the youtube videos as I was doing it.... it was installed as everyone elses that I have seen...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4
    Wasn't saying you didn't install correctly. I'm pretty sure everyone is 110% sure of their installation as it's such a vital part, just wondering about causes for this to happen.

I'll be taking VC off soon so i'll check it out and see if there's any marks on mine..
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Check the spring and travel... I've seen wear like that on other cammed systems and it usually indicates the clearances and travel on the Cam Lobe/Follower are not set up correctly. It could also be a manufacturing fault in the Follower. The surfaces should have a similar hardness, so that one doesn't wear faster than the other.

In addition to that, you'll get similar wear in a different spot if the follower is leaving the lobe.
    Last edited by Jeev; 05-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.

I am personally leaning towards this issue being related to the erratic loading and unloading of the inlet cam, in particular cold starts when the extremely worn VVT is hammering away waiting for oil pressure to take some effect.

The bucket was fine, not showing any issues. The valve lobes where ok as well as the buckets.

I have pulled apart the VVT unit today and will add a post to my other VVT thread.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...tml#post274859
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 05-09-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

I pulled apart another MPS6 today, high k's on it and really bad VVT failure! The first thing I removed was the HPFP/housing to inspect lobes, much to my surprise they are what I would call normal, the car has stock HPFP. I was hoping to see a trend between VVT fails and camshaft HPFP lobe wear :/

18. Default

This is exactly what I was thinking.. :/
    The only other thing that could contribute to wear would be that the autotech shaft is harder than the cam lobe? Either that or the shaft was not lubricated properly so it has a higher resistance when sliding through the piston, meaning greater force on that cam.

I think it best to check out some other peoples cam shafts to verify if this might be a one off or something to be concerned about.
    @EdgeAutosport.com, when you say you've never seen any wear, how often have you looked at the shaft lobe for signs of wear though? I don't imagine it'd be something that you'd check very often :/
    I've had mine apart a couple times (once for VVT, and once to change out valve covers) and I didn't notice any wear at that time. The last time I took it off I think it had been something like 30,000 miles with cpe fuel pump.

Suggesting that wear was more likely if you drove your car hard a lot of the time?
    Like others have said before me, this is strictly for the VW/Audi guys. They have even been known to have camshafts break after installing upgraded FP. The Mazdas are not subject to the same issues though. The added wear could be from lack of oil on start up which could have caused the wear then.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAutosport.com View Post
    I've had mine apart a couple times (once for VVT, and once to change out valve covers) and I didn't notice any wear at that time. The last time I took it off I think it had been something like 30,000 miles with cpe fuel pump.

Like others have said before me, this is strictly for the VW/Audi guys. They have even been known to have camshafts break after installing upgraded FP. The Mazdas are not subject to the same issues though. The added wear could be from lack of oil on start up which could have caused the wear then.
    what is the cause of lack of oil on start up?

If asking me, what I mean is the amount of time it takes for oil pressure to build up in the VVT unit to stop it hammering. The bucket area hasn't been starved of oil in the above instance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast