User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VVT & Timing Chain Replacement

Default VVT & Timing Chain Replacement

Just recently @LittleredMPS and Myself prepared for and completed a timing chain/ VVT replacement on an interstate (QLD) members @auscer MPS6 that had been experiencing the good old rattle on start up and the more concerning erratic idle also complimented by an inconsistant, consistant rattle from the timing case area of the engine. So basically in need of some pretty serious repairs!

Vehical details:
    Model- MPS6
    Year- 11/05
    KLM- 128588

Confirming there was an issue with the timing train was very simple, the noises were loud and clear! After turning the car off a quick check of the timing chain slack through the extremely hot oil cap only further confirmed that the repair was to go ahead!
    Before getting to excited it was important to for me to check some minor details. I started by removing the valve cover to visually inspect the timing chain slack where the engine came to a rest. In the following pics you will see I stupidly used a clear rule across the top of the gears to demonstrate the amount of sag in the chain at rest and secondly the free upward slack in the chain.
    1 [img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg [/img]
    2[img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg[/img]
    I then proceeded to remove the HPFP and housing to access the camshaft alignment slots, I then turned the engine crankshaft clockwise stopping short of TDC at which point I installed the crank stop pin into location, I then turned the engine crankshaft clockwise the remaining distance until I felt contact between the pin and crankshaft counter weight. This process removed all timing chain slack to the tensioner/guide. At this stage I checked that the crank angle sensor was aligned to the crankshaft pulley and that the crankshaft was aligned to the crankshaft, these relationships where all OK which means the crankshaft pulley and lower timing chain gear had not moved since initial fitting.

3 [img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg[/img]
    Next I attempted to install the camshaft alignment tool, this was only to check how much the camshaft timing had changed with the stretch in the timing chain. The following pic clearly shows the inlet cam is retarded slightly enough to prevent the alignment tool from slotting in, the exhaust cam was aligned enough for the alignment tool to slot in.

4 [img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg[/img]

I only checked this as I was curious but its just 1 step in many to help find the actual cause of the noise. I then removed the camshaft alignment tool, if you remember I turned the engine clockwise and this removed the slack from the timing chain to the side where timing chain slack is automatically controlled by the guide and tensioner, I pushed my finger down on the timing chain between the 2 camshaft gears and observed any movement in the timing train, I found that the timing chain tensioner in this instance was allowing alot of movement and not clicking out to the next increment. It was time to open up the front of the engine and have a good look at the timing train components and identify the actual cause. The engine remained in a timed position while I removed all associated external parts and the timing cover, once removed there is plenty of viewing room, the following pic shows the route of the timing chain and just how long the timing chain is.

5 [img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg[/img]
    6 [img]http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...ment-image.jpg[/img]

I marked the current position of the tensioner, fitted camshaft alignment tool and removed all timing train components including the camshaft gear, VVT and oil pump drive chain and components for further inspection and cleaning. I focused my attention to the timing chain tensioner and its condition, in particular the ratcheting device. The teeth didnt seem to be badly worn or damaged, had plenty of available adjustment and the ratchet was ok. Given those mentions I can only guess that the timing chain was stretched to an awkward length not allowing that extra click required to remove the slack from the timing chain resulting in obvious noises and in this case erratic idle/rpm signal from the inconsistant relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft.

The reality is that at any point this could have turned extremely expensive repair had the chain decided to exit the show!
    This repair included the replacement of the following parts;
    All friction washers, VVT unit, tensioner, guides, timing chain and front seal.

During the repair and fittment of new parts the engine timing was checked 3 times to ensure nothing had been disturbed during the tenioning procedures and once before engine was to be started.

This thread isnt intended as a "how to" and there is alot of detail left out of whats actually involved to complete this task.

At this point Littleredmps and I would like to thank @auscer to travel so far and give us the opportunity to carry out this work on his much loved MPS6!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2665 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	15062   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2070 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	15059   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2049 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	15060   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4851 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	15055   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2616 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	15056  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10034 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	15061   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	975 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	15063   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	717 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	15064   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	938 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	15065   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4581 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	15066  

Last edited by SarcasticOne; 05-07-2015 at 07:19 PM.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Awesome write up mitch... thanks again to @LittleredMPS and @MPS2NV for doing this job for me it was a long Saturday but luckily we had some good laughs throughout the day... you forgot one photo the empty beers after friday night hahaha

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

this shit is gold. not that I would be skilled enough to go through this, but its great to see the parts like this. great work

I'm pretty sure i'm going to need to get this done very shortly. Do you guys work at a shop, or is this just a hobby? I rang my local Mazda repair centre for a quote and they never called me back!

Dan

+1 at getting you guys to help me out with this one day

I need mine done mitchy its really really bad

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

damn, you guys should set up a business lol

Working on it @lup15

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Working on it @lup15
    You guys would get heaps of business if you did , u could be paid in beers?
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

beers, bunnies and girls

Im a mechanic with a full time job! I would love to wake up each day and offer specialty service/repairs to MPSs & CX7's in my own workshop with other mazda models filling the void in demand! In the mean time Jase and I are just trying to help out members with our own modest goals in mind and not biting off more than we can chew. This stems from my own personal dissappointment with the goose that stuffed my engine and workshops that wont admit when they have failed at a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by DannersAU View Post
    I'm pretty sure i'm going to need to get this done very shortly. Do you guys work at a shop, or is this just a hobby? I rang my local Mazda repair centre for a quote and they never called me back!

Dan
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

You can PM either of us if there is work you need done to your cars.

We will help as we can, but as we are not vendors, we do not advertise in the forum. Not quite ready for that step yet lol.

So I have been blessed with another MPS6 for a complete timing train replacement this last week!
    The car experienced an extreme example of failed VVT with a lovely rattle for assurance!

Here is clear vid of a typical VVT start up rattle, listen at the start for the first minor seconds, you will here the loud rattle!

As with last job I carried out pre inpections of the timing chain slack and alignment of the camshafts with the tools to see if anything had changed, what I found was interesting! The inlet camshaft didn't line up with the alignment tool and was slightly advanced, in addition to that the external casing of the VVT unit had a lovely chip around were the lockout pin is secured in the outer assembly! The external damage to the VVT was more thank likely caused from continued use of the car with a failed VVT unit.

Here is a pic of the external damage tothe VVT

This bad pic is of the inlet camshaft not aligning with the tool

Due to car having 192xxx K's and having such extreme VVT fail it was decided that all gears were to be replaced including the oil pump gear/chain and guides.
    In addition to the VVT repairs other work included spark plug replacement and a complimentry MAP sensor clean. I was expecting the MAP to be caked with oil/ carbon build up and I wasn't disappointed! How ever I was surprised to find the car had some rubbish worn out possibly normal type AC spark plugs with a .050"+ gaps!

This is the MAP sensor!

These are spark plugs?

This is the gap!

This is the finished, sparkling engine bay

Would like to thank John for placing his MPS6 in the care of Jase and myself!
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 15-09-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Bring ya tools to Byron....you can do my chain while you're there

Byron Bay mobile mechanical repairs

Quote Originally Posted by 70DDD View Post
    Bring ya tools to Byron....you can do my chain while you're there

Would like to thank John for placing his MPS6 in the care of Jase and myself![/QUOTE]

Rookie error there lol

I got nothing

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    Would like to thank John for placing his MPS6 in the care of Jase and myself!
    Rookie error there lol

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I got nothing

Rookie error there lol

[/QUOTE]

Ahahha I have silenced mitch

~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

Thanks for posting @MPS2NV I have learnt a lot .

@MPS2NV come to melbourne and do mine already. NATOR VIC lol

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast