User Tag List

Thread: Braided brake line ADR compliance

Default Braided brake line ADR compliance

I know a few years ago, ADR compliant braided brake lines were required. I've been reading online and it seems that people are stating that the ADR has changed in this area. I've quoted the design rule which was obtained at Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 42/04 - General Safety Requirements) 2005

15. BRAKE TUBING AND BRAKE HOSE
    Flexible hydraulic brake hoses, air or vacuum brake tubing and air and vacuum hose, flexible and hydraulic power hose between the ‘Brake Power Unit 31/00’ or ‘Brake Power Unit 35/00’ and the master cylinder or its equivalent must conform to SAA, SAE, BS, JIS, DIN, ISO or ECE Standards, or FMVSS 106 Brake Hoses, specified for flexible brake hoses, air brake tubing or hose or vacuum brake tubing or hose or hydraulic power tubing or hose and be fitted to the vehicle as to prevent chafing, kinking or other mechanical damage under normal motion of the parts to which they are attached.

So basically does that mean that provided the braided line meets one of the international standards mentioned above, it will be ADR compliant?

@Reedy and @LittleredMPS have some

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    So basically does that mean that provided the braided line meets one of the international standards mentioned above, it will be ADR compliant?
    Correct.

Same as wheels. To be ADR compliant, that have to be of US, Japanese or Euro standards.

I was under the impression that the US DOT compliance was not the same as the Australian ADR testing, therefore was not automatically compliant.

I would be careful before assuming that the above regulations suggest automatic compliance between different countries testing processes and ours.

the ADR doesn't state anymore that they have their own specific testing, or at least I can't find it. I am assuming and it is a big assumption, that the US DOT standards would meet one of those international standards mentioned in the ADR

The US DOT is their own standard, and while it may meet other countries I am pretty certain that it does not align with ADR standards, hence its omission

Tappin dat ass

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    The US DOT is their own standard, and while it may meet other countries I am pretty certain that it does not align with ADR standards, hence its omission

Tappin dat ass
    Ok, think I've figured out at least the US DOT standard which is FMVSS 106. This standard is quoted in the ADR

ADR is a set of rules. They dont do any testing. For QLDers, you just need to go to the NCOP section in the TMR website and find what is acceptable for said cars. Its all black and white. And you follow the paperwork, and you come back to text in the original post.

Personally for the cost of getting international supplied hoses. I'd just get some aussie ones made up, and they give you a A4 sheet that you put in the glove box. the sheet has a photo of the hoses and where to find the manufacturer codes and safety standards code engraved on the hose fittings.

My last set cost my $180. http://www.brakequip.com.au/braided-brake-hose
    Last edited by projectrracing; 28-08-2013 at 10:35 AM.

@SarcasticOne mentioned that both @Reedy and @LittleredMPS have braided lines, guys, which ones do you have? I'm after an upgrade.

HEL ones. Got them from eBay.

11. Default

For the price and quality, HEL lines are great. Ive run them in the past and had no issues.

I went to goodridge when i did a brake upgrade. But dont notice any difference between them on the track.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The ones around the $165 mark I'm guessing? Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    HEL ones. Got them from eBay.
    I've got the hel on my 6 too

Another vote for HEL

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I got Technafit on my 6.