User Tag List

Thread: COBB Access Port Compatibility

1. Default COBB Access Port on a SP23

Hey Guys,

I am new on these forums, and I don't exactly belong, not owning a MPS and all! However, I currently own a 2008 Mazda 3 SP23. I have had the car for almost a year now and I have done a couple of minor mods, Corksport SRI, Short shifter Kit, Whiteline RSB, JBR Rear Motor Mount (80-Duro), LED lights replacement etc.

I am currently looking into getting a Corksport Cat-back exhaust from mpsgarage at some point in the short term future. I was wondering if I could use a COBB access port to maximize the gains of the intake/exhaust. I cannot find any information about compatibility with non-mps Mazda 3's so I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

Cheers,
    Dan
    Last edited by danielrfraser; 26-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Hi Dan.

Don't think you don't belong, you're more than welcome

Couple tips, be wary of purchasing from MPS Garage, they don't have a very good reputation on here. Perhaps look at buying direct from the states because in some cases that is actually cheaper!
    Also, the AP won't work on your car, it's a completely different engine and ECU.

Cheers.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Hi Dan.

Don't think you don't belong, you're more than welcome

Couple tips, be wary of purchasing from MPS Garage, they don't have a very good reputation on here. Perhaps look at buying direct from the states because in some cases that is actually cheaper!
    Also, the AP won't work on your car, it's a completely different engine and ECU.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the quick reply! For those which are wondering, I originally was after a MPS, but I lost my license for a year and had to revert back to P-Plates, and I was told I couldn't purchase a Turbo (under the new power restrictions for P-Platers), so the Lux SP23 was the next best thing! I am also not trying to make my sp23 a mps, but I would like to get the most out of it!

I have been warned of MPS Garage's reputation already! I have previously done all my Corksport orders direct from the US, which worked fine for the smaller parts! However, the shipping on an exhaust was the killer, I emailed corksport and there cheapest price on postage of the exhaust worked about $100 more expensive (after you take into account the AUD to USD conversion) than MPSGarage's price. MPS Garage have said they have the exhaust in stock, but I have been told to be wary of them saying that too.

Is there any other options for tweaking ECU/tuning available to me? I loved the sound of the COBB accessport, but oh well!

No idea about other ECU tweaks on the SP23.
    Are you located in sydney? People have been told my MPS Garage that the item is in stock but then still wait months for it. Best bet is to just go and pick it up yourself.

5. Default

No idea about other ECU tweaks on the SP23.
    Are you located in sydney? People have been told my MPS Garage that the item is in stock but then still wait months for it. Best bet is to just go and pick it up yourself.
    Nah, located in Radelaide! Poor form by MPS Garage!

Quote Originally Posted by danielrfraser View Post
    Nah, located in Radelaide! Poor form by MPS Garage!
    Nice place?

Quick search on the internet says there is no native tuning software, and that you'd need a piggy back ECU (xede/haltech)... Most of which show very little gains...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

8. Default

@GibbA - Having previously lived in Melbourne and Perth, I like Adelaide the best, It's a very livable city. But still a Victorian at heart!

@SarcasticOne - I had done some quick googling previously, and couldn't pull much up. I did see something written somewhere about a Haltech Interceptor. I'll likely still get the exhaust done even if its just for a nicer noise over any power gains!
    Last edited by danielrfraser; 26-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Some of us had SP23's before the MPS, and we are all car nuts, so all good here.

Other than all the warnings you already know about.
    The corksport exhaust is slightly too long for our Australian spec bumpers, fairly easy fixed though.

The Cobb AP won't work on the SP23.
    The only plug and play tuner i've seen for the SP23 is Hypertech. BUT, i don't know, and highly doubt its compatable with Australian cars.
    The gains on a NA car was fairly minimal, I don't think really worth the time, effort and money.

You could see someone like Tunehouse and see what they can do ith ECUTEC. Costly though.

Best solution is probably wait (if you can) and save for an MPS if you really want power.
    Plus, surprisingly, the MPS JUST gets under the new 130kw/T limit for P-platers in NSW to be introduced at the end of the year. Unless they change it again or if they ban sports or high performance variants
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Quick search on the internet says there is no native tuning software, and that you'd need a piggy back ECU (xede/haltech)... Most of which show very little gains...

And we all know how haltech goes on a 2.3 in a mazda 6.................
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

I think you'll find that 190/1403 > 130kw/T...
    It's around 135. I'd be absolutely furious if the MPS was made p-plate legal...

Quote Originally Posted by danielrfraser View Post
    @GibbA - Having previously lived in Melbourne and Perth, I like Adelaide the best, It's a very livable city. But still a Victorian at heart!

@SarcasticOne - I had done some quick googling previously, and couldn't pull much up. I did see something written somewhere about a Haltech Interceptor. I'll likely still get the exhaust done even if its just for a nicer noise over any power gains!
    Don't try buy a dump pipe
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Gen 2 is 1469kg, means its 129.33kw/tonne

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Gen 2 is 1469kg, means its 129.33kw/tonne

Bahaha lol. That's called scraping past...
    Oh well, i'm glad the gen2 is legal and that the gen1 isn't. Doesn't make me feel AS bad..
    What about the 6?
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

15. Default

The Adelaide P-Plate laws have a restriction on a list basis. I believe you can drive a turbo car only if the turbo is their to increase fuel-efficiency. So I believe a P-Plater can drive a Holden Cruize 1.4T. But the MPS is on the restricted list (You can however drive a CX-7 which has the same 2.3T setup as the MPS)

Here is this list http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/__data/as..._list_2013.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Some of us had SP23's before the MPS, and we are all car nuts, so all good here.

Other than all the warnings you already know about.
    The corksport exhaust is slightly too long for our Australian spec bumpers, fairly easy fixed though.

The Cobb AP won't work on the SP23.
    The only plug and play tuner i've seen for the SP23 is Hypertech. BUT, i don't know, and highly doubt its compatable with Australian cars.
    The gains on a NA car was fairly minimal, I don't think really worth the time, effort and money.

You could see someone like Tunehouse and see what they can do ith ECUTEC. Costly though.

Best solution is probably wait (if you can) and save for an MPS if you really want power.
    Plus, surprisingly, the MPS JUST gets under the new 130kw/T limit for P-platers in NSW to be introduced at the end of the year. Unless they change it again or if they ban sports or high performance variants
    @danielrfraser the ECUTEC 'distributor' in Adelaide is S&J Automotive, just FYI.

Might be worth looking into the Hypertech, since power mods won't go past the intake and CBE.

17. Default

Bahaha lol. That's called scraping past...
    Oh well, i'm glad the gen2 is legal and that the gen1 isn't. Doesn't make me feel AS bad..
    What about the 6?
    Maybe I will try and buy a BOV whilst I am getting a dump pipe. A turbo timer will help with Moar powaaa for my N/A yeah?

Lol. Mighty car mods did the BOV speaker mod to their N/A car. You wouldn't be the first

19. Default

@GibbA - Thats why I got the Lux edition of the sp23, BOSE BOV sounds ftw haha

But in a more serious note, I am going to go ahead with getting the exhaust and move on to some suspension stuff for more cornering shenanigans. But I want to make sure I am getting as many rampant Japanese horsies from my dollars as possible

Cheapest option, just get a custom cat back & profit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4