User Tag List

Thread: Play in caliper anti-rattle shim

Default Play in caliper anti-rattle shim

So I was converting the car from racecar to daily driver and had finished changing over the brakes and I noticed there is a little bit of play from the passenger side anti-rattle shim in the caliper.

Video located here:

I noticed it the other day, but thought I'd get opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself.

Any ideas on why or how it's happening? And the most important question, does it matter if there is a bit of play in the shim?

FYI the driver's side shim fits snug with no play at all.

cant view the vid because i am at work...

but do you still have the factory spring clip/ retainer things installed??

they hook into the pads. you should have one top and one bottom, each one hooks into L&R pad

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    cant view the vid because i am at work...

but do you still have the factory spring clip/ retainer things installed??

they hook into the pads. you should have one top and one bottom, each one hooks into L&R pad
    Yep the caliper itself is entirely stock. The movement is present with both the T3 rotors and carbotech XP10 pads and the OEM rotors and pads, so I can rule out the change in setup being the cause.

The shim goes in fine, but there is still play... This can be seen in the video.
    Last edited by Jamesa2z; 19-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Is it still there after you've pumped the pedal to take up the slack in the brakes? As long as there is tension in the spring, movement in that plane isn't a problem.

Good question actually, I'll need to check that next time I'm down at the car.

But irrespective, there is definitely a shite load of tension in the spring, so that's good to know!

So I checked this out yesterday...

The play in the shim is significantly reduced since the brakes have been pumped (and used on a drive). The play isn't alleviated completely but it's nothing like what it was before.