User Tag List

Thread: Ultimate Racing Downpipe - Fitment Question - Stock Mid Pipe.

Default Ultimate Racing Downpipe - Fitment Question - Stock Mid Pipe.

Had a search on MSF and OZMPS and turned up nothing so time for a thread!

I have a Ultimate Racing V2 Downpipe on order with Edge, but I am a little unsure how it will fit.
    I do have a 3" CBE, however to fit the stock Downpipe the exhuast shop used the same sized flange from the original mid-pipe. So question is:

Will the UR Dowpipe fit to the stock mid-pipe section? I have a feeling that it will be NO and I will need to get a new flange put on the CBE to make it fit.

Stock Mid-pipe VS Aftermarket Mid-pipe. The inlets seem the same... the internal piping is smaller but the flange seems to be the same sizes.

Ultimate Racing 3" Downpipe V2 MS3 07+
    3-inch 304 stainless steel piping
    - Wide bellmouth design to clear aftermarket turbo internal wastetgate assemblies
    - Replaces OEM primary catalytic converter
    - Available catless (default)or with two choices of high performance catalytic converters
    - TIG welded to perfection
    -Proprietary "3-inch Donut Gasket" for a TRUE unrestricted 3-inch design-
    - Designed for use with the OEM and most bolt-on turbocharger upgrades
    - Bolt-on
    I am note sure how true bolt-on is, so any help is appreciated: Including perhaps if anyone can mention edgeautosports so they can chime in.

Daniel.
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 18-08-2013 at 03:20 AM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

I found this, sounds promising. However one account isn't exactly concrete proof.
    This UR DP offers the ability to slap in a straight pipe or stock mid-pipe with cat depending on emmision checks without having to mess with removing with the DP
    Mazdaspeed Forums does not seem to be loading for me keeps coming back with Server Issues on my computer and phone!?!? I had found a few threads on there about stock mid-pipes.

It may be a silly presumption but would all 3" downpipes be the same outlet wise. IE: Corksport Short Downpipe fits the OEM Mid-pipe and it a true 3" Downpipe, so therefore likely this UR DP will work also?
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 18-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

So I found my old catback and it has the flanges (from the Midpipe to the Catback) so I can check the fitment when I get it from edge. Either way I wll fit it, but hopefully it bolts up with no extra work.

Still feel free to chime in.

I am not certain, but as long as the donut, sealing faces, and bolt hole centres match, you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Racing View Post
    The beauty of our exhaust components for the MS3 is that they include our own custom 3" donut gasket. I'm pretty sure we are the only ones that offer something like this. The 3" donut gasket will bolt to both the factory, and our own full 3" components without creating a restriction (like the OEM or OEM-sized gaskets).

What other companies are doing are either using a the restrictive OEM donut gasket, a flex joint, or they eliminate the donut gasket and use a "ballooned" pipe end. We're not too big on either of these options since flex joints usually do fail over time (causing leaks, and frustration), and ballooned pipes are prone to leaking.

Our 3" donut is the only way to be completely true 3", leak free, and still allow the exhaust system to flex the way it needs to.
    Thanks for the lead. Searched the donut flange and it returned this result! Ultimate Racing should know better then getting the holes wrong, so should be safe.
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 18-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.

So sent an email to Ultimate Racing regards to the fitment. I sent it when this thread came up and got a response early this morning. Good news (which I already knew), it will fit due to a patented donut flange that matches the OEM flange.

So hopefully Edge ship the parts soon and I can drop the plugs in (change the TMIC rubber bushes while its off) and get the Downpipe fitted.

Then count down the time to Intake/E-Tune!!
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 21-08-2013 at 03:32 AM.