User Tag List

Thread: Polishing Pal

Default Polishing Pal

Hey,

Wondering where I can pick up a polishing pal here in Oz? Seen them on international sites...

. Matt

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Cheers Dan!

Thought it would be good for compounding with the LC orange 4 inch as zas are currently out of the LC orange hand pads. You see, I don't have a machine nor budget to pick one up, and with the recent efforts doing things by hand, the polishing pal seems like a wise choice. I have read a fair few opinions on them and although a lot of people use them for applying sealers and finishing waxes, I can definitely see advantages of using one of these to (hopefully) provide some alleviation from hand strain.

Thanks again for the pointer on where to pick them up from... now time to put in an order for what seems like the entire Prima range to get things moving!

Thx. MC

No worries

Hand polishing is tough going, but you can get ok results on softer Japanese paints like Mazdas (compared to Euro paints like BMW or Merc for example).

If you're grabbing some Prima products, I assume you're going to pick up some Amigo? If not, then, as Molly Meldrum says, do yourself a favour. It's an awesome product. . For someone who doesn't have access to a machine polisher Amigo is great to use to help fill light swirls. Sometimes though, it's great to use even on a freshly paint corrected surface as it has a really nice darkening effect on metallic cars. Here's an Aston V8 Vantage that I machined and then used Amigo to give the metallic extra pop:

You can see the clear line between the two parts of the bonnet. Amigo is on the left. The right is bare panel

Close Up

Top it with a wax or sealant though as Amigo doesn't have great durability on its own
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

This thread is informative, but I can see it going downhill pretty quickly!

Sorry to go a little off topic, but all I see in pics are you garage roof there Dan. Amazing work as always.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Love you Dan

supercheap sell a turtle wax one, has a little handheld bit in a pack of 3 pads, uses a velcro thing to stick on.

Hahah thanks guys.

Love you too Missylicious

Daz, nice tip

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Daz, I'll take a look this weekend.

Dan, I will be picking up a fair few products of which the Amigo is one.

- mystique wash
    - megs ultimate compound + LC orange
    - prima amigo + ???
    - hydro seal
    - banana wax + yellow or red LC
    - hydro & slick qd

Will have IPA and purified water on hand too, and clay. Speaking of clay, how's that zas surface prep towel going? You still find you use a fair bit of QD with it?
    Last edited by M3Matt; 18-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.

So I went to super cheap to check out the turtle wax ones, but they didn't look that robust, three handle was a little small and the Velcro disc was also a little small... looks like I'll be getting the one from wax it.

Quote Originally Posted by M3Matt View Post
    Thanks Daz, I'll take a look this weekend.

Dan, I will be picking up a fair few products of which the Amigo is one.

- mystique wash
    - megs ultimate compound + LC orange
    - prima amigo + ???
    - hydro seal
    - banana wax + yellow or red LC
    - hydro & slick qd

Will have IPA and purified water on hand too, and clay. Speaking of clay, how's that zas surface prep towel going? You still find you use a fair bit of QD with it?

I wouldn't worry about IPA or demineralised water. It's only useful if you're going to be adding a coating like Opticoat. Save your time and money

The Surface Prep Towel is still going strong. Onto my second one as some tradies managed to splash paint on my last one. Still using as much clay lube as before (I use Prima Glide as it doesn't contain waxes or polymers like most QDs do). It's a huge time saver over normal clay though.

Re the rest of the list, it looks fine except I'd personally substitute Mystique for Optimum Car Wash, and Prima Slick for Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer

https://www.zas.com.au/product/426/o...ash_946ml.html

https://www.zas.com.au/product/427/o...cer_504ml.html

Re applicators, just use the ZAS yellow foam applicators for everything but the Ultimate Compound. They great and also cheap: https://www.zas.com.au/product/43/za...twin_pack.html

Don't forget good quality microfibre cloths too. These are the best I've used: https://www.zas.com.au/product/540/o...h_40x40cm.html