User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Internal Cabin Lighting/Number Plate Lighting

1. Default Help With Internal Cabin Lighting/Number Plate Lighting

Hey everyone,

I was going to replace the internal cabin lighting with LEDs and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

I've seen a few posts on different overseas forums but there wasn't a clear consensus of opinions.

My brothers friend has very bright white LEDs in his MPS and they look pretty good but I was just wondering if there where many different types. He's had pretty bad luck with his as he buys the cheapest ones off ebay and they seem to blow every 6 months.

My questions I guess are there many different types, colours, brightnesses, etc?

Also I'd like to do the rear number plate lights. Any wisdom anyone can shed on these subjects?

Any advice, links or photos would be extremely appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jay

I've got a full set of replacement lights in the mail at the moment. They are eBay ones but not the cheapest I could find so hopefully they should be ok, but I bought more than needed incase there were some duds...
    If it helps, most of the lights are a T10 fitting (map lights, numberplate lights, glove box light etc), with the central dome light and boot light being a 31mm festoon light.
    Personally I don't see the point in having anything else than white lights in the car, but obviously that's down to personal preference.
    You can get a kit from @2XS on here too if you're interested.

Cheers.
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    I've got a full set of replacement lights in the mail at the moment. They are eBay ones but not the cheapest I could find so hopefully they should be ok, but I bought more than needed incase there were some duds...
    If it helps, most of the lights are a T10 fitting (map lights, numberplate lights, glove box light etc), with the central dome light and boot light being a 31mm festoon light.
    Personally I don't see the point in having anything else than white lights in the car, but obviously that's down to personal preference.
    You can get a kit from @2XS on here too if you're interested.

Cheers.
    What he said ^^^

white lights are generally the 'best'. They have good brightness, and no funny color rendering.

I found that White dome and red Map lights actually work brilliantly.
    the Red provides enough light to read a piece of paper at night... but red not having a high intensity means that your mrs can actually read something whilst you are driving without the glare!

I am using Blue Map and dome lights in my gen2... they are useless... but look pretty cool and match the stock footwell lighting.

I recommend white though!

Try and avoid LED, Instead go for the LED SMD chips.

They give a much more even light, nicely dissipated with "softer edges".
    LED will make the surface of the map light look orange when the light is actually RED. LED SMD's wont do this

overall... SMD's look better, nicer colour and work better... and cost like $1 more

Yes to SMD's, and @Jay 1701, if you work out how to get the globes out of the map reading lights in your gen1, make sure to share how!! Haha, i'm not game enough to try pull out the whole light housing from the roof liner yet, but those plastic lenses don't want to come out!! Argh...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 1701 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I was going to replace the internal cabin lighting with LEDs and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

I've seen a few posts on different overseas forums but there wasn't a clear consensus of opinions.

My brothers friend has very bright white LEDs in his MPS and they look pretty good but I was just wondering if there where many different types. He's had pretty bad luck with his as he buys the cheapest ones off ebay and they seem to blow every 6 months.

My questions I guess are there many different types, colours, brightnesses, etc?

Also I'd like to do the rear number plate lights. Any wisdom anyone can shed on these subjects?

Cheers,
    Jay
    Mazda 6 Interior Lighting Kit | Mazdaspeed 6 Interior Lighting Kit

I got that and it replaced all the stock yellow lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 1701 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Cheers,
    Jay
    Mazda 6 Interior Lighting Kit | Mazdaspeed 6 Interior Lighting Kit

I got that and it replaced all the stock yellow lights. Just search that site for your type of MPS.

@GibbA -CPE has instructions on how to change the map reading lights. I remember just googling them and came across them

8. Default

@GibbA @Jay 1701

Simples
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ce-plate-light

I have replaced all mine Jay so can help you with globe models and how to knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What model MPS do you have?
    Then I can tell you what bulbs you need.

Moved to correct forum area

Quote Originally Posted by toine888 View Post
    @GibbA @Jay 1701

Simples
    How-To: LED interior/reverse/licence plate light

I have replaced all mine Jay so can help you with globe models and how to knowledge.

Thanks very much for that, I was afraid of trying to pull it down in the wrong place..

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    What model MPS do you have?
    Then I can tell you what bulbs you need.
    He has a 08 3 mps gen 1

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

13. Default

Thanks very much for that, I was afraid of trying to pull it down in the wrong place..
    No problems and believe me you really need to put some elbow into it when you pull down with finger nails between roof and light fitting. Just make sure you don't pull down too far as there are wires connecting it all. Just try to limit your arm fall if that makes sense.

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

No problems and believe me you really need to put some elbow into it when you pull down with finger nails between roof and light fitting. Just make sure you don't pull down too far as there are wires connecting it all. Just try to limit your arm fall if that makes sense.

Oddly enough that does make sense. I'm just paranoid about marking anything but now I know the spot, I should be fine.

He has a 08 3 mps gen 1
    In that case,

Parkers - T10 wedge
    Foglights - 9006 (or HB4)
    map lights - 2x T10 wedge
    glovebox - T10 wedge
    interior centre - 31mm festoon
    boot - 31mm festoon
    number plates - 2x T10 wedge
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    In that case,

Parkers - T10 wedge
    Foglights - 9006 (or HB4)
    map lights - 2x T10 wedge
    glovebox - T10 wedge
    interior centre - 31mm festoon
    boot - 31mm festoon

and this is for Gen 2.

Parkers - 2x T10 wedge
    Foglights - H11
    map lights - 2x 31mm Festoon
    glovebox - 1x T10 wedge
    interior centre - 1x 31mm festoon
    boot - 1x 31mm festoon

17. Default

Awesome thanks everyone!
    @toine888 - Yea I might take you up on that offer. I need to source some online first. Probably will do the research on the weekend.
    @GibbA - Ill post some photos when I do them and add some captions to help.
    @Krs - Thanks for the links. I'll have a better look at them when I get home.

I'll post back on what I've found over thw weekend.

Cheers

Might not be needed @Jay 1701, I got my LED's in the post today and will try put them in later tonight. See how I go.

Might not be needed @Jay 1701, I got my LED's in the post today and will try put them in later tonight. See how I go.
    Don't forget the links for where u bought them from too please Gibba!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Don't forget the links for where u bought them from too please Gibba!!
    All will be outlined in my thread. Comparison pics, tricky bit pics and links for bulbs
    Check it out later on tonight.
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast