User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deceleration exhaust burble

Default Deceleration exhaust burble

Call me obsessive, but I am wanting to 'tune' the sound of my exhaust.

I love the sound of an exhaust when it burbles, not back firing, on deceleration. I watched the latest Top Gear episode which had the Jaguar F-type, stunning car. The exhaust sound is pure sex to the ears.

You can hear the burble on 2:25 and 2:43 in this video (not Top Gear unfortunately)

Just wanting to get some ideas what makes an exhaust burble on deceleration. Obviously we don't have a meaty V6 supercharged engine but my car currently burbles on decel occasionally. I just want MORE!!

Cat back exhaust??

Mine does that on ots map lol not all the time though

here is a video of a Neon SRT (4 cylinder) with the burble. Such a hideous car...

3" exhaust (corksport or similar) + 100 cell cat + full vent blow off valve + off the shelf cobb map = heaps of burble but unavoidable after-firing (and really loud at that, I think I killed an old man on the side of the road one time)

Lol, make yourself run very rich at the same time, but I guess that yes, vta bov will do it.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Lol, make yourself run very rich at the same time, but I guess that yes, vta bov will do it.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4
    yeh did it for shits and giggles. I wouldn't run full vent as a permanent thing

Straight pipes.... my dads old straight 6 did this ran a straight pipe, carbies do this very well

My mates SS does that too... all the time even low rpm its loud tho, has walknshaw exhausts and cams etc

Took out resonator for a straight through pipe, nice but of burble, but only on low reves

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

I found that going to a very high flow cat on my old car gave me the burble and the odd pop on deceleration.

When warmed up, my exhaust has a fairly consistent burble/growl on downshifts, with the odd popping (BOV is partially atmo-venting).
    Exhaust is full CP-e system, incl downpipe.

You'll never get that "tuned euro" sound out of it, but you can certainly make it sound nice in it's own way

VTA will make the car backfire only on gear change, not while decelerating. Backfiring sounds shit :P

I've been reading more into it as it seems that you can actually tune it into the fueling by making the car rich on decel. think this is how the euros do it. might look more into it

I have an AP on order and will probably get an eTune later in the year. Might have a chat to the tuner about this. Also @Yeldarb you did an Inception on me and planted an idea. Now look what's happened!

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    I've been reading more into it as it seems that you can actually tune it into the fueling by making the car rich on decel. think this is how the euros do it. might look more into it
    A similiar approach worked for F1 when teams were utilising off throttle fuel dumping for the "blown diffusers".

I wouldn't expect any benefit in downforce though!

just after the sound

I guess it is possible to richen the mixture at no throttle input but I wouldn't recommend it, will cause a decrease in fuel economy, will decrease the life of your spark plugs and possibly your O2 sensors

17. Default

i agree with ryad dont richen your mix. i get that nice crackle every time i shift down and the revs are below 3000 rpm and i have removed the second cat and the middle muffler and have a TS recirc bov. Stainless steel exhaust may make it even better would love to hear some of the ppl running stainless to put in their 2 cents

been doing more reading and I think its called over run when the throttle snaps shut but the injectors squirt fuel causing a rich mixture. From my understanding, its similar to what happens when VTA releases air and there is a rich mixture. However VTA is a large amount of unmetered air leaving hence backfiring instead

I dont know the specifics, but what Rayd pointed out obviously makes sense. I wouldn't want it to cause huge problems with fuel economy and induce other issues.

I do get a burble when slowing down generally in 2nd gear below 3000rpm, but not when lifting off the throttle at speed going down the rev range as heard in the videos.

At this stage, I would be looking at more physical aspects that would amplify the burble such as exhaust piping materials, muffler designs and exhaust flow. I dont really like stainless steel as the exhaust note becomes 'brighter' and crackles a lot. Mild steel seems to have a thicker wall if my memory serves correct, which helps produce a deeper tone.

I will have the large chamber muffler changed for a straight through eventually, as I think a free flowing exhaust does induce more burble due to air pressure dynamics.

keep them ideas coming!

edit: another burbling exhaust video lol. skip to 0:50

Last edited by lup15; 09-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    VTA will make the car backfire only on gear change, not while decelerating. Backfiring sounds shit :P

I have an AP on order and will probably get an eTune later in the year. Might have a chat to the tuner about this. Also @Yeldarb you did an Inception on me and planted an idea. Now look what's happened!
    Happy to do so mate

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Mine does it on downshift, not loud and usually everytime if i release the clutch slowly on downshift

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast