User Tag List

Thread: Need help with SA roads

1. Default Need help with SA roads

Hi everyone,

Will be buying an MPS from SA in the next couple of days. I live in Melbourne and will be flying there and driving back.

Does SA roads have many speed cameras? In vic there are more speed cameras than cars it seems but I want to have fun on my drive back with out the speeding tickets.

I've done many trips from Melb to Syd in the past so I know that route really well and where 90% of the cameras are but this will be a new route.

I don't have a GPS so I can't get access to that handy software that tells me where all the fixed ones are.

Any roads I should be more cautious on?

Thanks!

Jay

Your best bet is to google the fixed speed camera locations, it's on the government website.

Then, the location of the mobile speed cameras for each day are listed on the SA Police website.

That said, there's no telling where the actual police will be with their radar guns. Highway patrol cars have radar guns fitted, and can catch you even when driving in the opposite direction.

Best bet is to not drive like a moron.

i can vouch for don't drive like a moron on the highways out that way after my trip to mount gambier a couple of weeks ago... Dukes Highway you should be careful on, there's a few stations outside a couple of towns closer to adelaide where they have 3 stationary cameras in a row (not entirely sure why) but police are apparently patrolling the highway like a bitch these days because there's been quite a few accidents on it lately, the country cops are definitely more laid back than city cops though (though that also depends on the cop) but yeah, have fun with the car within the speed limits, not over them, especially if you're new to the MPS and don't know how it handles, the last thing we need is someone wiping themselves out in a car they didn't know how to handle yet. All along the freeway between Murray Bridge and Adelaide can be littered with police or it could not be, it's unpredictable, there's cameras in the Heysen Tunnels on the freeway, so don't blast it through there if you feel like hearing the exhaust in a tunnel, there's not many stationary cameras along the freeways and highways, but as Zacman said, Highway Patrol have radars that can catch you regardless of if he's moving or if he's going the other way or both or even if he's ahead of you and you're coming up behind him...

for mobile camera locations check the local SA newspaper (the advertiser or the Adelaide Now website) and that'll tell you where they are for the day, but where the paper says doesn't necessarily mean that's where they'll be too. But really you shouldn't need to worry about flaunting laws with an MPS to have fun in it, you can have plenty of fun with an MPS without exceeding speed limits or doing anything stupid, take a scenic drive through the Adelaide Hills on your way home if you feel like having some fun, plenty of fun twisty roads to drive on that shouldn't get you in any trouble.
    If you can't fist it, it's not big enough!

It's not as bad as VIC but I would recommend sticking the cruise control on for the highways and restrict your fun to the twisties. Take the coast rd at least one way - much better scenery and roads. Most important thing to remember (if you are buying a 3 MPS) is to hold on tight to the steering wheel, especially if overtaking - the torque steer can catch you by surprise. Nothing a solid REM and Super pro anti-lift kit won't help tho
    Gen 1 MPS 3..The ultimate sleeper

Yeah I would take it easy, cruising at 100-110 and seeing how low you can average the fuel consumption is more rewarding than trying to break a land speed record, risking fines, killing yourself or more importantly the poor buggers doing the right thing in the other side of the road.
    Enjoy your car, your not happening to be coming over to buy a red MPS6 are you?!