User Tag List

Thread: e85 fuelling stories

Default e85 fuelling stories

ok, for anyone who goes has a e85 tune, i would like to hear your re-filling stories:
    these days, i always watch the service station attendant whilst filling up with e85, cause about 1/4 of the time, it ends with me arguing with someone

i've had many fuel station attendants arguing with me about whether or not it was suitable... usually when i go in to pay, and they start telling me i need to upgrade injectors, car isnt suitable for e85, or run 100% e85 vs my mixture
    you tell them it's a direct injection rather than port injection, therefore, am unable to upgrade the injectors...
    they usually cant comprehend it....
    also saying "yeah, 2 lots of fuel" leads to a confused look as well

twice ive had them paging me over the loud speakers asking if i wanted to put e85 in my car... a wave and thumbs up usually allows me to continue

best one is the guy who walked out to me at the pump (knew i was in trouble when i saw someone putting on a safety vest) and argued with me for about 1-2 minutes in front of a few people....
    eventually stopped him by saying that ive altered the specific gravity of the fuel in the ECU, and increased the injector pulse width to compensate for the ethanol... and im not running 100% e85 due to the direct injection fueling system being unable to support it.

anyways, not sure who else has these stories, but, i'd like to hear them when/if it happens
    @ledfootrob you ever had issues?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I've had some crazy stuff happen while filling with..... Oh noes, soz I use meth

I usually go to same station so it's all Gud but this one time I went with @dazza near his place n attendant came out n had this luk on his face. "wtf is going on" it was hilarious.
    Usually if its different attendant they just keep staring at you like you gonna drive off. Next time il try going to different station n see what happens lol

I had a lot of issues with my Evo 9. I ran full on E85 and they just cannot understand that. Almost every servo I filled up they either came outside to tell me that I am going to blow up the motor or they tell me over the intercom "That's not normal fuel". I started to fill at the same Caltex just so that they will start to get use to my car..........that did work eventually. Could just pull up and start pumping, no more arguments.

Yeah same sort of scenario. Always get funny looks when filling up and have had the attentant come over the PA saying "Your using the wrong fuel". I think they are getting used to seeing my car now so they dont shut off the pump nearly as often. Haven't had any arguments about it like you have Sam.

Yeah, if you keep going to the same place they get used to you

But, eventually they learn!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Yeah, if you keep going to the same place they get used to you

But, eventually they learn!
    Since there's only 2 in canberra I guess they get used to u pretty quick, I'm thinking of getting a 85 tune as Kambah station near my house.
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Not E85, but E10.

My Father has a 1924 Dodge that he built from nothing more than a chassis and engine.
    Now cars back then ran on basically anything that burns, lower than 50RON in the day.
    Anyway....
    One day he decided to put E10 in it. young girl shut off the pump and yelled out "you can't use that"
    Dad said, its fine, he knows what he is doing, originally it probably ran on ethanol blended fuels
    the young gir then said "no you can't its an old car and it will eat all the fuel lines and seals and blow up"
    dad asked (still surprisingly calm) "and who told you such rubbish"
    She replied "my boyfriend.......he is an apprentice mechanic"
    To which dad said "Well i'm an automotive engineer, nearly 50 years experience and over 20 years of teaching apprentice mechanics like your boyfriend, I built this car from the ground up, every last nut and bolt has been repaired or replaced, ethanol will not damage synthetic rubber, only natural rubber of which there is no rubber in this car.....trust me, its fine"
    She then started getting quite abusive and swore at him and mum quite a few times.

Also used to get some funny looks when we put kero in that car. Luckily the guy at the servo then knew us well and didn't ask questions.
    50% unleaded, 40% Super and 10% Kero was a nice mix, would improve its cruising speed from 65km/h to 80km/h
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

You'll only get into an argument if you or they are being belligerent about it. Try changing your demeanor when they approach you if you're finding yourself arguing. "It's been modified and tuned specifically for E85" should be all they need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    You'll only get into an argument if you or they are being belligerent about it. Try changing your demeanor when they approach you if you're finding yourself arguing. "It's been modified and tuned specifically for E85" should be all they need to hear.
    "dont worry mate, i know what i'm doing, it's been tuned to run on a mix" (or something similar) is usually my opening line
    often times it's enough, but sometimes it isnt
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I guess they are kind of looking out for u too by warning u

Oh absolutely, the petrol stations are probably sick of foools who buy E85 because it's cheap, wreck their cars and then try to get the proprietor to pay for the damage.

They are looking out for themselves AND you by making sure you know what you're doing!

If its a new servo, I give them the courtesy and go ing and tell them. Now its all good especially when theres no 98 and e85 at the same pump. lol