User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might be getting timing chain done - get VVT actuator done as well?

Yeah, sounds like me
    I thought same thing, was just fuel pump... Mine is loud! I work in civic...

Well that's three peeps saying fuel pump now. Makes me feel a lot better. If it gets worse I might take you up on that offer SarcasticOne. Thanks for the input lads.

I'll grab a picture of my engine bay tonight and point out which areas we are taking about

Sweet action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've had the VVT and timing chain replaced on my car - I suggest you take it to a Mazda dealer to be diagnosed properly and then consider your options.

If it is the VVT thats faulty then Mazda will charge you a fortune to replace it as its a big job.

They have to take apart the front of the engine so labour cost is the killer here the parts are relatively cheap.

If its the fuel pump then you have plenty of options to get this fixed outside of a Mazda dealer so wont smash your bank account.

On watching your video doesn't sound like the VVT to me so hopefully just the fuel pump as others have said above.

Good luck sorting this out mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I've had the VVT and timing chain replaced on my car - I suggest you take it to a Mazda dealer to be diagnosed properly and then consider your options.

If it is the VVT thats faulty then Mazda will charge you a fortune to replace it as its a big job.

They have to take apart the front of the engine so labour cost is the killer here the parts are relatively cheap.

If its the fuel pump then you have plenty of options to get this fixed outside of a Mazda dealer so wont smash your bank account.

On watching your video doesn't sound like the VVT to me so hopefully just the fuel pump as others have said above.

Good luck sorting this out mate.
    Someone on FB paid parts and labour for chain and VVT with Mazda $1400, sounds cheap.
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Someone on FB paid parts and labour for chain and VVT with Mazda $1400, sounds cheap.
    Thats me I just got a quote from mazda at southport on the gold coast and it was 1490 with all parts and labour and a drivers side engine mount

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    ~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

ok, have a close listen to where the noise is coming from:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130731_171558.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	624.8 KB 
ID:	14769
    the red box is the fuel pump
    the green box is where the VVT noise would be coming from, or down this side anyways...
    @LittleredMPS or @MPS2NV should be able to clarify

video of mine being really rattly... VVT - tractor mode - YouTube

Edit: should note, the above noise is in fact my hpfp
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 03-07-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I don't consider $1400 to be a "cheap" repair on a car at all and at least a grand of that would have gone to labour costs.

But hey if the VVT is f*cked then you have no choice but to cop the Mazda repair bill on the chin as I wouldn't trust a performance workshop to do this kind of repair work.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    ok, have a close listen to where the noise is coming from:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130731_171558.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	624.8 KB 
ID:	14769
    the red box is the fuel pump
    the green box is where the VVT noise would be coming from, or down this side anyways...
    @LittleredMPS or @MPS2NV should be able to clarify

video of mine being really rattly... VVT - tractor mode - YouTube
    Wow that's noisy and I thought mine was noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I don't consider $1400 to be a "cheap" repair on a car at all and at least a grand of that would have gone to labour costs.

But hey if the VVT is f*cked then you have no choice but to cop the Mazda repair bill on the chin as I wouldn't trust a performance workshop to do this kind of repair work.
    Considering I was expecting a $2000 plus job, $1400 is cheap in my books considering how much mazda charge

Vids dont do a lot for me becuase I cant move my head around the engine to pin point or hear the tone of the noise to give an accurate diagnosis. Given track record of VVT and timing train makes it a fair guess but its always good to be open minded.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...-pictures.html

Ignore the price, in early days of VVT failures only the bare essentials where changed to rectify VVT start up noises in most cases on cars with low K's under warranty.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Just wondering. I've read a few posts on fuel pumps and upgraded ones making a bit of noise could seem the norm. When I got the Cobb AP I did a few WOT runs on a Stage 1 map to make sure all was well and fuel pressure was holding steady above 1600 psi. Maybe it's ok?

Edit: Put my head right into the engine bay this morning and based on that image that SarcasticOne posted, the hpfp is pretty noisy, but it does have upgraded internals and pressure is holding during WOT. Also where the chain sits made a rattling noise on cold start but settled down pretty quickly. I'll keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by GoonBong; 01-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    Just wondering. I've read a few posts on fuel pumps and upgraded ones making a bit of noise could seem the norm. When I got the Cobb AP I did a few WOT runs on a Stage 1 map to make sure all was well and fuel pressure was holding steady above 1600 psi. Maybe it's ok?

Edit: Put my head right into the engine bay this morning and based on that image that SarcasticOne posted, the hpfp is pretty noisy, but it does have upgraded internals and pressure is holding during WOT. Also where the chain sits made a rattling noise on cold start but settled down pretty quickly. I'll keep an eye on it.
    Same issue with my car mate, loud rattle on start up for one or two seconds then goes away - when I had the VVT actuator replaced they did the timining chain and tensioner at the same time.

When they showed me the old timing chain that was removed from the engine it had at least 2 stretched links possibly more and the VVT actuator had some obvious damage too.

Hard to tell how long you can let something like this go for until you bite the bullet and get it fixed - I think a failed timing chain is fatal for these engines but I may be wrong (a service manager said this to me one day) so best to fix as early as possible.

Yeah if the chain lets go a piston would probably smash into a valve and I'm looking at a rebuild. Couple of thousand kms until my next service so ill drop in and have it looked at soon.

I have a VVT unit that I will disassemble tonight and post more pics!

Tomorrow, some goose didnt bring tools home

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Tomorrow, some goose didnt bring tools home
    Love your work lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12