User Tag List

Thread: White smoke monster, spoke to workshop

Default White smoke monster, spoke to workshop

Hi guys,

So ive got the white smoke dilemma at 38XXXkms on an 05 6 MPS... Through hours of pouring through forum info, I put my white smoke issue down to obvious turbo causes. I decided to ring Allstar Tuning at Brendale. Spoke to a guy there for 20 mins about this issue. He immediately said that he would supply and fit a newer (by the sounds Gen 2?) turbo for $2265, since he believes the turbo seals to be screwed since the white smoke only occurs on idle.

I mentioned the idea of a slightly better after market (since an after market turbo seems to be the same price for a this newer turbo ($1600)) and he said something about the core of a good stock with after market to be built or something of the likes to fit up to the manifold.

I dont know whether im jumping the gun or need to assess the situation a bit better. Can any of you turbo nuts please enlighten this turbo noob. Any recommendations for a second opinion?

Newer stock vs aftermarket?

Cheers,
    Sam

Bloody low kms for a smoky turbo! Who's been doing what to it?? Previous owners? I reckon I'd pull it off and send it to a turbo shop and rebuild it for a fraction of that price quoted, as it's only bearings and seals. Check the oil feed line too. Things don't come much simpler than a turbo.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 30-07-2013 at 02:08 PM.

I've dealt with All Star. They have goods and bads like any workshop but they do know their MPS's.

That being said, speak to @2XS Troy and @KFuNk Ken. They are in Brisbane. Troy has a workshop and Ken had his new turbo install there.

Get a second or even third opinion as they are big $$$'s.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

No way in hell should you pay 2200 for another k04...

Know it's a silly question, but is this "white smoke" just on starts?

If you drive around for 20-30 mins, and leave car idling for 10-15 mins, does smoke pour out from your exhaust?

No idea hey, the previous owner left it in his garage for 6 months while he worked down south, getting his dad to kick it over every week.

I figured getting it rebuilt may be an option. Any recommendations within Brisbane?

Ill get onto Troy and see what he recommends.

Well, for example, I drove back from the GC Hinterlands with the missus, wasnt driving hard as she gets annoyed lol. Get back through Logan, stopped at a set of lights and bang, looked in to rear vision and some white smoke. Same thing happened this morning on the way to dropping it off at Pedders for a wheel align... Smoking like a boss. Immediately switched it off out of sheer fright. Sat for 30 second, started back up, drove off and it was fine. Some people are suggesting just changing to a 5W-40 oil in the meantime and seeing what that does.

I am a little bit scared as I cannot afford a new turbo :S

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies btw guys. Much appreciated.

2200 for another k04 and install ahahaha.... I have a k04 sitting in my garage that I got off troy... I thought I had the same issues but it went away...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It will be back @auscer , it does that..

@Jmac lol its been good for over a year now but im sure in near future it will be back... hopefully have my bt by then

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Something does not sound right there. Not for smokey turbo anyway.

Get Troy to have a look at it first. See what he reckons.

Stop mentioning me.

Yes, defiantly turbo related.
    I'd try thicker oil and possibly moving the PCV to help for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Stop mentioning me.

Yes, defiantly turbo related.
    I'd try thicker oil and possibly moving the PCV to help for the time being.
    Ill give it a go. Thank you.