User Tag List

Thread: Problem with a tyre retailer

Default Problem with a tyre retailer

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted

I recently purchased and had fitted a wheel and tyre package from a tyre retailer (I wont name names yet).

1. I paid for the package online, choosing a custom tyre option of Michelin PS3's at $500 extra. (225/40/R18)
    2. I recieved call a few days later from them and the guy said he didn't have stock of the PS3's and it would likely take 6-8 weeks to get them in, he offered me a substitute Yokohama nvigor (223/40/R18) at the same price, but I noticed that they also sold Yokohama S-Drives and suggested I would be happy with those instead, he checked stock and said yes they have them and that would be fine. So as I understand at this stage I'm getting my wheels and Yokohama S-Drives, I didn't want to argue the price difference (which I'm pretty sure was in their favour) so just left it at that.
    3. I arrange to have the wheels fitted yesterday, that went smoothly and they look cool (see attached pic)
    4. It wasn't until this morning that I checked closely and noticed that the tyres are actually nvigor's and not s-drives so I send an email to the retailer immediately asking what went wrong.
    5. They call me and give me some story about their actually being no stock of the s-drives and that they tried to contact me via email and phone on that same day (they didn't, not record of either) to arrange a substitute and when they couldn't reach me just shipped the wheels out with nvigor's, I argue that that's not good enough, I specifically said I did not want the nvigors, they substituted without my consent and I want s-drives, they argue that the nvigors are just as good and worth more anyway, blah blah blah, offer me a free wheel alignment and balance at any time within 6 months.
    6. I sent another eloquent email stating that I would really rather have the product I paid for, they are refusing to budge and being quite aggressive and arrogant.

This brings us to today.

So, has anyone else had a similar experience, I've been bait and switched with a tyre place before and this smells awfully exactly like it and normally I would just shrug and meh and carry on but for some reason the attitude of this place has got me all red in the face. I probably would have let it rest if this guy wasn't such a prick about it but now I'm taking it as far as I can go.

I'd love to hear similar stories, or just "you're being a knob, stop it" or whatever you think, should i be happy with the nvigors, are they just as good (and worth as much as) the s-drives or PS3's?

I'm happy to name the name if you think it's important, but would rather not if I don't have to, it's a major well known chain, not some backyard mob.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	14721  
    Last edited by Scratch2k; 26-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

If its a well known name, try to write a complaint letter to head office, work your way up the chain of command.

Better to go to head office with the complaint , ill be getting tyres soon so hopefully they weren't in Tuggeranong

You're safe in Tuggeranong unless it's Bridgestone, the guy there thinks Customer Service is when someone brings him lunch.

Also, I have been talking to head office. They have one email address and phone number for the main location and "everyone reads that email" according to a source inside. So who's the boss? Maybe the arrogant jerk I'm already talking to.

If you have emails with the conversations, then print them with header information, which is legally admissible, and state the circumstances behind what has happened in a letter. Mail that to the head office. Then ask what they are going to do to correct the situation.

According to Tirerack.com,

the S-Drive is an "Ultra High Performance Summer," tyre and the AVID ENVigor is an "Ultra High Performance All-Season," tyre.

They're both W speed rated (168mph) in 225/40 R18 but crucially, on tirerack.com anyway, they ENVigor is $9 per tyre cheaper than the S-Drive ($128 a pop vs $137).

Yeah I found that too. They spun me some line about not having all season tyres in Aus since we don't have snow. The crucial comparison is PS3 (which I paid for) vs nvigor. Tyre rack prices are about $50 per tyre difference.

Take it to dept of fair trading, maybe?

If your reciept says P3 then I would take to fair trading,
    But I would take it as a learning experence taken from Cris deburgh ...Dont pay the ferryman till he takes you to the other side....

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    But I would take it as a learning experence taken from Cris deburgh ...Dont pay the ferryman till he takes you to the other side....
    Lol

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Hi Scratch2k,

Is there any complaint handling policy or returns policy on their site where you can demonstrate they have not followed it properly?

If you don't get anywhere with their head office, your best bet is probably to call the consumer action law centre if you have it in your state, we have one in Vic that provides free legal advice to consumers - hopefully you have something similar.

One of their templates for example;
    http://consumeraction.org.au/wp-cont...ht-260912.docx

Good luck.
    Tims
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

Phone up head office and ask to speak with a regional manager regarding making a formal written complaint. The problem is with lots of "big name" tyre stores is that they are not franchises or chain stores (merely have paid for the company name) and don't really care when you complain at the store itself.

Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Unfortunately this is what happens when both parties are vague as such. When the switch was made, and you decided on the tyre you were happy with, you should have requested am email verifying what you were paying for.
    This would have erased any type of confusion or vagueness on both parts.
    I'm not saying the tyre retailer is correct as they are not, but you seriously should have checked you had gotten what you paid for prior to delivery, and prior to fitment.
    The dept of fair trading is an option you can try to persue , but it might not be worth the time or hassle for yourself.
    Put it down to a lesson learnt, and enjoy your new wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    The original receipt says PS3 (purchased online), the actual invoice they handed me when I picked up the car simply says "YOKO 245/40/18", their story about trying to call me/contact me to switch back, the vague "YOKO" on the invoice and their general attitude when I challenged them about the unauthorised substitute is what's got me not wanting to let this rest, thanks for all the advice so far guys. (that, and the price difference between PS3 and s.drive/envigor is considerable)

I'm going to give them another day to respond to my last email then look at my options.
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Quote Originally Posted by albii View Post
    Unfortunately this is what happens when both parties are vague as such. When the switch was made, and you decided on the tyre you were happy with, you should have requested am email verifying what you were paying for.
    This would have erased any type of confusion or vagueness on both parts.
    I'm not saying the tyre retailer is correct as they are not, but you seriously should have checked you had gotten what you paid for prior to delivery, and prior to fitment.
    The dept of fair trading is an option you can try to persue , but it might not be worth the time or hassle for yourself.
    Put it down to a lesson learnt, and enjoy your new wheels.

I completely agree... it's really worth checking what you paid for prior to taking to delivery, you've taken possession of the wheels/tyres so you've really kind of shoot yourself in the foot as far as taking this any further. What it will come down to is that by receiving the goods (taking your car and leaving) you've basically accepted that they're not what you originally asked for. I don't think you're going to have much success verses how much effort/pain/annoyance this is going to cause if you choose to take the matter further.

Best thing you can hope for out of this is a bit a show of good faith in the form of a small discount or getting a free wheel alinement as they've indicated... so chalk this up to experience...

To be honest I find dealing with tire retailers so deplorable and annoying that... even after moving to freaking Perth from Brisbane - I still get my tires shipped over from the same place I've been going to for the last 15 years (that and I get them cheap - but that's not the point :P). So moral of my story is - find a good tyre guy and never ever ever let go of him.