User Tag List

Thread: Changing brake pads (and rotors) on MPS 3

Default Changing brake pads (and rotors) on MPS 3

I found this link quite handy as a guide yesterday when learning how to change my brake pads.

Step-by-Step Brake Tech for Our Mazdaspeed3: 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Project Car: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

It's quite a straight forward job, but if you are a mechanical noob like I am, best to have someone with experience show you the first time round.

The guide doesn't exactly go through the rotor change, but once the caliper is unbolted, you can just slide the rotor off. If it's stuck on, a few hits with a rubber or nylon mallet top, bottom, left & right should loosen it up.

Hope this is of some value to people

Good idea to upload this @Jamesa2z as little jobs like this most people are very capable of doing and will save them a fortune from workshops robbing them.

However I have learned over the years from mechanic mates and people in the know that it is best to get the proper tools for the job than do something a little dodgy, so for the sake of $16 at super cheap auto, get a calliper piston cube, it attaches to a 3/8 socket ratchet and is really easy to use compared to a pair of needle nose pliers.

Second thing is where he forces the brake fluid back through the system when clamping the calliper back This is a big no no as it can damage the abs unit. The correct way to do it would be to connect a rubber hose to the calliper bleed valve (ideally a clear tube) and the other end into a clean empty drink bottle submerged under a bit of clean brake fluid. Loosen the bleed valve till you see a bit of brake fluid coming out then clamp the calliper piston back slowly. Once the calliper is clamped all the way tighten the bleed valve back up. This is the proper way to do it and will half ass bleed dirt and air bubbles out of your brake system as a bonus

Easier to do with two people but a good setup and perseverance you can do it yourself.

Before you start everything just make sure you have the right pads @dazza otherwise too much mucking around lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I bought one of those caliper cubes but it doesn't fit the MPS piston - 6 different sides to it and not one of them fits. Supercheap Auto and Auto1 sell exactly the same ones so don't assume they will all fit properly.

I still use a pair of needle nose pliers.

I think the cube thing will help for the rear calipers as you need to wind the piston back in. Dont know first hand as I have yet to change the rears

edit: nvm, you were talking about the rears
    Last edited by lup15; 25-07-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I bought one of those caliper cubes but it doesn't fit the MPS piston - 6 different sides to it and not one of them fits. Supercheap Auto and Auto1 sell exactly the same ones so don't assume they will all fit properly.

I still use a pair of needle nose pliers.
    Oh fair enough, weird that it does'nt have a side that works, my one does but i brought it when I was in nz