User Tag List

Thread: Tuning Prices

Default Tuning Prices

Firstly, Hi All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now.

Anyway, Im rather intrigued by the tuning prices that people pay on this forum.

I have had my previous car (FD RX7) tuned 3 - 4 times by different tuners, who spend up to 4 hours tuning a Apexi power FC ECU all for the price of around 5 - 600$ per tune.

I've noticed that places like MRT and Tunehouse are charging like $ 1900, $2500.........

I know this probably is something that has been accepted by everyones comments in posts etc, however, a tune anywhere north of $1000 in my opinion is excuse the french, f@#@ing ridiculous.

Keen to hear the reasons why the MPS tuning is so expensive.... or maybe I'm wrong all together...

Cheers,

Ben.

Cause they use ecutek which is rather overpriced dyno time from both is about 100/hr

An access port or VT is $600 for licence and software + dyno time
    Can get an e-tune for $200…
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 14-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.

I've got an AP
    30day tune using WOT logs cost $250~ and $65~ for a retune if I require it

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Cause they use ecutek which is rather overpriced dyno time from both is about 100/hr

An access port is $600 + dyno time
    Can get an e-tune for $200…
    Right, so is ECUtek licensed or something? I'd be curious to know what the cost per ECU the Tuner pays... Does anyone know, is it even managed that way?

And secondly... off topic just slightly, who's a good COBB Access Port tuner in Sydney?
    Last edited by Bensai; 14-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I've got an AP
    30day tune using WOT logs cost $250~ and $65~ for a retune if I require it

Peter "SLIXX"

Hi Peter,

Sounds interesting, however I have had issues previously with "Aussie Post Tunes" (Tunes done based on logs sent and not on the Dyno)

hows your car run with the mail order tune?

Default Tuning Prices

Lex from Stratified is an absolute professional

He is tuning my car for today temps and then making sure it will be fine for the hotter climate. Generally he send a revision after 48hours after my log and then asked to run another log

As he isn't satisfied with the results, my tune has gone over the prescribed 30days and I have has 9 revisions

Lex is extremely proud of his work it comes thru in his dedication

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by Bensai View Post
    Right, so is ECUtek licensed or something? I'd be curious to know what the cost per ECU the Tuner pays... Does anyone know, is it even managed that way?

And secondly... off topic just slightly, who's a good COBB Access Port tuner in Sydney?
    MRT is the "dealer" for it, they set prices each car pays for a licence, then it's just tuning/dyno time...

Haven't found any good ap tuners
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The cost per licence is set by MRT like @SarcasticOne said. I've heard that they are around $750 or so per licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    The cost per licence is set by MRT like @SarcasticOne said. I've heard that they are around $750 or so per licence.
    Sweet as - Think I might invest in the AP and try my luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    MRT is the Australian dealer so thy influence the price but would have to pay ecutek in the UK. They may or may not be price gouging on the license.

Regardless I think the accessport is the best option available.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Hi Peter,

Sounds interesting, however I have had issues previously with "Aussie Post Tunes" (Tunes done based on logs sent and not on the Dyno)

hows your car run with the mail order tune?
    These are usually generic tunes under the guise of real tunes, not the case with richtune or stratified.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I have been kind of hoping that the pressence of all this e-tuning bizzo will be driving down the price of a regular dyno tune and getting companies like ECUtek to drop their licencing prices etc.

This is totally my own ill-informed opinion, but I'm not overly keen on the idea of e-tuning/mail order tunes sans dyno runs. Although it seems to be working and we haven't heard anything overly concerning yet, I would still rather spend a bit of cash for a dyno tune and have the tuner sit in the car and see, hear and feel what's going on. I guess I'm just a little old hat at modding cards and need to get with the times.

Then I find out that you do things like tune Holden/GM cars via a tablet... when the hell did that happen?! (kind of cool though)

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    I have been kind of hoping that the pressence of all this e-tuning bizzo will be driving down the price of a regular dyno tune and getting companies like ECUtek to drop their licencing prices etc.

This is totally my own ill-informed opinion, but I'm not overly keen on the idea of e-tuning/mail order tunes sans dyno runs. Although it seems to be working and we haven't heard anything overly concerning yet, I would still rather spend a bit of cash for a dyno tune and have the tuner sit in the car and see, hear and feel what's going on. I guess I'm just a little old hat at modding cards and need to get with the times.

Then I find out that you do things like tune Holden/GM cars via a tablet... when the hell did that happen?! (kind of cool though)
    nah, wouldnt drop prices much, even if you consider an ecutek license costing $1000 vs an AP $650 shipped
    still looking at MRT/Tunehouse/??? charging you $900 or so for dyno time...

so, it's only a $350 reduction

in my mind dyno tuning only offers 3 real advantages over road tune...
    1) ability to replicate certain events easier (ie 60% throttle at 3400rpm)
    2) can push car to MBT (max power/torque at given rpm) easier
    3) dont have to worry about speeding tickets
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

How interesting.. Does this licensing mean for every car tunehouse or another ecutek tuner tune, MRT make a fee on??

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    How interesting.. Does this licensing mean for every car tunehouse or another ecutek tuner tune, MRT make a fee on??
    have heard rumours of such things happening
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 15-07-2013 at 05:14 PM.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    They are a business so they would be looking to make a dollar or a few hundred.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

The 3rd advantage is always handy... :P

I was more trying to get at a supply and demand type thing. Pre e-tune days most of us would have gone down the MRT/Tunehouse for a ECUTek and dyno tune route, where as now those potential customers would move on to e-tune options, so in order to keep a customer base handy they'd need to compete by dropping their prices. The other option is Chiptorque's ezyflasy unit, it's a bit morepricey than the Cobb AP (and I dont think it's on par with it's features) buty ou'd be more inclind to find workshops willing to deal with an Australian tuning supplier than ringing overseas for support... a hypothetical - you goand get a new front mount or downpipe fitted at a workshop - they do a dyno run, log data, send to CT who then send new maps, re run the dyno to confirm everything is stable etc. I had a similar set-up with my workshop and tuner whenI had my ute tuned after fitting the downpipe and intercooler, it worked quitewell and I ended up with an extremely reliable result.

That's the route I'm fairly keen on when I eventually swap out my turbo... but I am fairly biased to Australian companies though when it comes to stuff likethis soo a lot of what I say is colored with that

edit: spaaaaaaacingnotbeingrightandstuff
    Last edited by spooon; 15-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.