User Tag List

Thread: Diamond hard clear coat?

Default Diamond hard clear coat?

Decided to detail my car this weekend. Thought I'd spend longer than normal and really get everything out.

I am using a RO with a black cutting pad and Menzerna FG500. As usual, the spider web swirls disappeared in one or two passes, but I wanted perfection or as close as I can get...

Well, 2 hours later, I am still only halfway through the bonnet. WTH? I knew from before that our clear coat is hard, but I've worked out scratches before in minutes. No idea why this time even water stains and very light scratches are taking so long to come out.

Anyone had this experience before? Any recommendations to speed it up? Maybe switch to a rotary?

@Caffeine Fiend ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

He's the resident expert, right?

just finishing up the bonnet now. Damn, it looks good, but my hands are numb and my hearing is half gone... gonna do the rest of the car next weekend and wear hearing protection. Any tips to speed up the process before then would be appreciated!

Which pads are you using? That sounds like the DAS6-Pro Lake Orange kit from CarCareProducts, perhaps?
    If so, i was under the impression that the black pad was a finishing pad?

Yes, can you confirm what brand/model RO and also what brand black pad you're using?

I'll check the brand tonight, but its a cheap eBay kit. I've used it before, and it seemed okay. Just by feeling it by hand, it feels like a rough, grippy cutting pad.

I'm using an Ozito 450w RO. 3000-14k opm model. I started on the lowest speed, but found about half speed worked a lot better and no damage to the paint. still feels very slow though.

Yeah you're really going to struggle with that RO regardless of the pad you use. It simply won't have the power to correct decently. Mazda paint is not that hard and the fact you're struggling indicated that you're maybe asking a bit more from the polisher than it can provide

Also no name brand eBay pads really aren't a good idea. There's a reason why brands like Lake Country, Mint, etc spend a lot of dollars on R&D on their pad technology.

Your equipment isn't giving you the best head start into the world of paint correction I'm afraid.

At the very least consider getting some decent pads. The base size of that RO is 5", so stick to 5.5" pads. Don't try to go to 6.5" pads with that RO because it simply won't give you enough rotational speed to do any correction.

The simply fact though is you're going to be severely limited by that machine in terms of any moderate to heavy correction

My 2c

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 15-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

You could try OPT Microfibre Compounding pads. That's probably your best chance you have without spend too much money.

Next step is to get a real machine.

I have to agree microfiber pads are the goods , cuts through almost anything.
    although they don'tast long I went through 2 on my mates 6