User Tag List

Thread: Slapping noise from under the car

Default Slapping noise from under the car

Hey guys going you can help me with a little problem I'm having with my car.

I've driven down to the coast and at first it was occasionally but now whenever I drive between 90 and100 in 6th I hear a slapping noise coming from anywhere under the car.

I did a few checks on the drive. I checked the pressure on my tires and they seemed to all be ok, around 40psi

I pulled over twice and checked all wheels and under the car and nothing out of the ordinary was visible.

While doing 100 I put the clutch in to lower the rpm and the frequency of the noise didn't change. I also put the handbrake on one click and that had no effect.

It's only happening at almost 100 kmph and feels a bit like singing caught on a wheel or my drive shaft and is slapping under the car. Had hoped it would fall off but hasn't so far.

Have any suggestions or ideas what it may be or how to fix it? Driving me slightly crazy!

Only in 6th? If it was something caught it would be in every gear and change dependent of speed. Is it audible from inside the car? A video maybe?

Checked on the drive back and it's speed dependant, happens in 5 th as well as 6th. Sounds a bit like driving a stream train when it starts doing it. Figure it's either something caught under or something loose that flaps in the wind hitting under the car.

Have you checked the plastic under trays at the front of the car just near each fog light? If the clips there have broken or fallen out, at speed the wind can cause the plastic to flap around, whilst looking fine when the car is stationary.

Checked for gnomes under car banging their nut sacks on the chassis?

Nothing worse than loose flaps..

I'd check the plastic stone tray as above.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Nothing worse than loose flaps...

Wtf?

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Default Slapping noise from under the car

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Nothing worse than loose flaps..

I'd check the plastic stone tray as above.

Or knob creeks banging walls

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I have known belts to slap when fraying.

Well this got dirty fast.... Yeah plan is to check the plastic tray *checks watch* now. I'll take my gnome bashing stick with me just in case

Good news it was the gnomes....

Wait no it was that plastic undertray thing. Bolt on one side is mostly stripped and bolt on other side was gone. I'm assuming it was probably in even worse condition and fell out while I was driving. Got a new bolt which fixed it good enough. Cheers for your help guys!

Nothing worse than a loose undercarriage!
    Good to hear its all fixed mate.

Gotta watch all them slappers around these days....;o)
    Seriously, it sounds like the splash-shields or the under-valance plastic arch trims might be the go.
    It may be that 5th and 6th gears might keep you in the right speed range for the airflow to start the movement. As soon as you slow or stop the sound stops and everything reverts to normal positions.