User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Mazdaspeed3 could go naturally aspirated?

Default Next Mazdaspeed3 could go naturally aspirated?

Filed under: Performance, Hatchback, Mazda, Rumormill

The new Mazda3 is a stunner, both aesthetically and from a driving perspective. As with all good things, though, there's always room for improvement. That's where the wizards from Mazdaspeed come in. Mazda's in-house tuner has been tweaking and turbocharging the five-door Mazda3 since 2007, with impressive results.

We've shown you renderings of what the third-generation Mazdaspeed3 could look like, and for the most part your response was quite positive. Now, AutoExpress has come out with details of just what might be under that long hood. According to our friends across the pond, the new Mazda3 MPS (that's what the Speed3 is called in Her Majesty's auto industry) will be arriving with a new, high-revving, naturally aspirated engine. Wait, what?

Yes, if the rumors are to be believed, the next Mazdaspeed3 will ditch its turbocharger. According to an anonymous engineer, the new MS3 will arrive in December (this is for the UK market, mind you) with a 200-horsepower, naturally aspirated engine. The 2.0-liter mill is based on the Skyactiv engine in the new 3, and should be capable of a sub-seven-second run to 62 miles per hour.

Now, we strongly encourage you to take these rumors with a grain of salt. There are a lot of things that don't add up here. With 200 horsepower, the new Speed3 would be down over 50 horsepower on the original model. It'd also be easily outgunned by the competition from Ford, Subaru, and Volkswagen. And what about torque? The only way we can see a 200-horsepower Mazdaspeed3 working is if it weight is dramatically reduced. Considering weight savings is a tenet of Mazda's Skyactiv philosophy, that seems like a possibility.

We're still a long way from the new Mazdaspeed3's debut, and a lot can change between now and then. What do you think - does a Mazdaspeed3 work without a turbo? Would you buy one with the more powerful alternatives available? Let us know in the comments.Next Mazdaspeed3 could go naturally aspirated? originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:46:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

No Mazda please give us a turbo

Yeah...have to agree with grumpy cat on this one

Great looking mps. 2.5 turbo all wheel drive 230kw out of the box at 45k-50k and they will be walking out the door. Rx8 looked nice as well but needed more grunt under the bonnet.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    This ^^^

What's the point of having two names and two models for what are both essentially SP25s?

8. Default

Boooooo to no turbo, they should have a turbo bigger than k04 on next model

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    What's the point of having two names and two models for what are both essentially SP25s?
    If it's got a 2.0L engine, wouldn't it just be like an SP20?
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    If it's got a 2.0L engine, wouldn't it just be like an SP20?
    Disregard engine size and the corresponding naming convention - you are still left with two FWD hatchbacks with a NA engines competing in the same segment.

I can't see this happening when every other manufacturer is going small displacement turbo motor.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Vtec just kicked in yo!

That would make me sad.

Resurrect the ol KLZE v6 and make that do 300hp, then call me

Doesn't bode well for my dream of a new gen awd mps6 wagon though...

Oh noes....

Peter "SLIXX"

15. Default

Rumors, pure rumors. The fact that the US say that the Mazdaspeed3 has been happening since 2007... yet the MPS has been happening since 2006... Stupid Americans...

Forget the 2.0 idea... but if it had a 250hp (187kW) n/a 2.5 in a car that's 100kg lighter, it would go harder stock vs stock than a current MPS...

WHY.. With emissions targets and fuel ecc demands placed on modern cars, they will have to turbo. even a 1300kg car 2ltr NA qill have what 180/200nm of torque?! Put 2 people in it and its a very slow 0-100, were talking N/A mazda 6 times :P no thanks! Dumbest thing I have heard yet

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Forget the 2.0 idea... but if it had a 250hp (187kW) n/a 2.5 in a car that's 100kg lighter, it would go harder stock vs stock than a current MPS...
    Not necessarily ,like the corolla spotivo and civic TypeR they are high reving with a lot of KW but no torque,100kg not going to make a huge difference.
    It may have 187kw but being N/A have no more than 250NM torque so I highly doubt quicker than current MPS
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    WHY.. With emissions targets and fuel ecc demands placed on modern cars, they will have to turbo. even a 1300kg car 2ltr NA qill have what 180/200nm of torque?! Put 2 people in it and its a very slow 0-100, were talking N/A mazda 6 times :P no thanks! Dumbest thing I have heard yet
    True That, my Rolla weighed 1200 kg had 145kw and only 180nm torque and you had to rev the balls off it to get it moving
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    That would make me sad.

Resurrect the ol KLZE v6 and make that do 300hp, then call me

Doesn't bode well for my dream of a new gen awd mps6 wagon though...
    +1 for a AWD MPS6 wagon... and at least come out with a 28 in it instead of the k04

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    ~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast