User Tag List

Thread: Series 2 Mazda MPS engine ticking noise

1. Default Series 2 Mazda MPS engine ticking noise

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with my 2009 MPS 58kms (Still has 2 months warranty). It's got a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine. Loudest when holding steady revs between 2-3k rpm and driving next to a wall or median strip.

At first I thought it was one of the pulleys, took it to Mazda Liverpool to diagnose, a mechanic had a listen and agreed there was a problem with something, I booked it in for repairs and sure enough they couldn't find any issues or hear anything wrong.
    After that waste of time I changed the idler and tensioner pulley myself, idler was just a little noisy but tensioner was pretty bad.
    But unfortunately that didn't make the ticking noise go away, just made the engine a little quieter in general.
    Noise can also be heard through the driver side wheel well when car is stationery.

I know the timing chain was supposed to be fixed in BL but it kinda points to that. I'm not sure though. Car is a little noisy on start-up sometimes but only for a split second, is this normal in these things?

Any suggestions? What else could it be? Who is the best Mazda dealer in Sydney that will not just give me standard bs "that's normal". Also happy to pay a mechanic familiar with these things for proper diagnosis.

I come from the XR6T world so these issues are new to me.

Thanks!!!

A video that has a sound clip would really help! I personally take my car to Tom Kerr Mazda for servicing, John the service manager is good and mention the forum he will want to fix it for you. I've heard good things about west end at parra as well

Yes video would be nice,could be timing chain but also u will find that these cars are ticking machines , every mps I have heard has annoying tick including mine ticks, ask at dealership to hear others or ofher forum members cars MPS to c if same.

4. Default

Thanks guys. I'm on my way to west end mazda. I'll try to take a video while at it. It seems most of the ticking noise is from the injectors and fuel pump on these things.