User Tag List

Thread: Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus rank tops with mystery shoppers

Default Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus rank tops with mystery shoppers

Filed under: Car Buying, Marketing/Advertising, Chrysler, Ford, GMC, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Scion

If you want the best experience possible when buying a new car, then you'd better head down to your local Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, or Lexus showroom. According a mystery shopper study conducted by the Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index, those three luxury brands ranked highest among the 33 makes surveyed. The highest scoring mainstream brands included GMC, Hyundai, Kia, and Ford.

The study asked 5,203 mystery shoppers about the tactics used by salespeople during their most recent automotive purchases, and found a few interesting parallels along the way. For example, dealers at Infiniti, Land Rover, and Smart leaned heavily on vehicle walk-arounds with potential customers, while Jaguar, Volvo, and Audi were quick to point out exclusive features.

This study contrasts with a similar study conducted by JD Power in 2012. Its Sales Satisfaction Survey listed Mini as the top scorer, while Pied Piper's mystery shoppers ranked the BMW-owned brand below the industry average. Lexus scored highly on both surveys, as did Infiniti and GMC.

Not all brands fared well with the mystery shoppers. Lincoln, Chrysler, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Scion all finished well below the industry average. According to an analysis on Automotive News, the lower scoring brands suffered from a lack of product and dealers that would push potential customers away from their desired brands. Scroll down for the official press release.Continue reading Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus rank tops with mystery shoppers
    Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus rank tops with mystery shoppers originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:44:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Interesting. Frankly, I have given up on guys showing me cars - the women in Perth showrooms are more dedicated, and better informed. I have been in Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Audi, Landrover, Mazda, Volvo and Nissan showroom all in the past 6 months. In every case the girls were 'way sharper.

THE BAD
    - At Mitsubishi, the salesman didn't know if the Exceed still came in petrol or was only diesel now, like all the other lesser models. He was about the most useless in overall presentation.
    - The guys at BMW couldn't tell me anything about the transmission of the X5. The supervising girl is attentive but passes me on to the males.
    - At Mazda (male) I was ignored for far too long and the guy didn't know much about the new Mazda 6 and couldn't answer any questions about the technology.
    - Audi (male) was too off-hand for his own good.
    - At Nissan (male) I came out with more questions than answers after talking to the guy there. Almost as bad as the Mitsi guy.

BETTER
    - At Toyota, the guy didn't know how many gears the GXL and Sahara Auto had. The girl who attended me on a previous occasion didn't have an answer to a question but immediately went off to get one.
    - At Landrover, the girl was excellent while the guys are a bit dreamy, and I couldn't get a brochure and they took ages to send me one by snail mail.

BEST
    - Volvo (male) was excellent and well-informed on all aspects of the car.
    - At Lexus, both male and females I encountered are excellent and they keep me up to date with news by email.
    - The Mercedes guy was very good, having come from the service department and was being trained as a sales rep. The Supervising girl is excellent. They eventually were able to answer my questions about the high and Low range and transfer shift options, but it took time. They were keen to offer a drive of all models inquired about.

In the first two categories, they all need to sharpen up.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 12-07-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18