User Tag List

Thread: Diagnose this noise...

Default Diagnose this noise...

Last couple of times I have driven my car, I've noticed a weird intermittent rattle which I can hear when sitting in the car - it's definitely not the standard interior rattle or vibe from the REM.

It's a very slight rattle on idle and I can also hear something when lifting off the accelerator and coasting, but this video here is the worst of the sound which is when parked with my foot on the brake and releasing the clutch to the friction point...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujf2ccjkc1...711_081450.mp4

Any ideas on what this could be?

Haven't listened (on phone) is it hpfp rattle?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm not entirely sure what the hpfp rattle actually sounds like, but from what people have said, it shouldn't be this loud, nor occurring when engaging the clutch right?

A similar rattle started on my car as well right after HPFP was upgraded....i thought this was the cause as i've heard that the upgraded pump is louder then the stock one...but that's my humble view only

I thought the HPFP rattle is more of a louder ticking sound! This sounds like something spinning coming into contact, James could it be coming from the turbo, shaft being loose will rattle at low speeds?

That's what I was thinking. It seems to be far too obnoxious to be a hpfp rattle, unless this is an absolute extreme case!

Hmmm given the low kms, I didn't even consider the turbo as a possibility...

This has all come about quite timely as I have a service booked in next week, but if it's something that could (possibly?) be under warranty I could probably book it in with Mazda instead...

Get it serviced and ask them to check it, if there's warranty work to do then taking it to Mazda with a diagnosis can help.

Yep it's booked in with Tunehouse who will be looking at it for me.

Ironically, I recently dropped it off at Mazda for them to check out some minor rattles and noises and now there seems to be a worse one! Queue conspiracy theories...

I had a similar noise, sounds like baby birds chirping.
    After looking around the whole car for loose panels or plastic covers rubbing against each other, i found it actually came from the steering column. A quick spray with wd40 on the uni joints followed by steering lock to lock a few times to allow the lubricant to penetrate cured the noise. Why it happens, i never really looked into it as i was glad it stopped. It did come back after 6months, sprayed it again .
    Hopefully this solves your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by yodo View Post
    I had a similar noise, sounds like baby birds chirping.
    After looking around the whole car for loose panels or plastic covers rubbing against each other, i found it actually came from the steering column. A quick spray with wd40 on the uni joints followed by steering lock to lock a few times to allow the lubricant to penetrate cured the noise. Why it happens, i never really looked into it as i was glad it stopped. It did come back after 6months, sprayed it again .
    Hopefully this solves your issues.
    Use silicone spray, it lasts longer!
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Last couple of times I have driven my car, I've noticed a weird intermittent rattle which I can hear when sitting in the car - it's definitely not the standard interior rattle or vibe from the REM.

It's a very slight rattle on idle and I can also hear something when lifting off the accelerator and coasting, but this video here is the worst of the sound which is when parked with my foot on the brake and releasing the clutch to the friction point...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujf2ccjkc1...711_081450.mp4

Any ideas on what this could be?
    My guesses,

- Rear motor mount dead, engine moving causing rubbing noise - or screwing up the angle of the gearbox.
    - Thrust bearing in clutch
    - Drivers side motor mount gone, have had a similar sound in the 6
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    My guesses,

- Rear motor mount dead, engine moving causing rubbing noise - or screwing up the angle of the gearbox.
    - Thrust bearing in clutch
    - Drivers side motor mount gone, have had a similar sound in the 6
    Thanks @Jmac.

Driving to the meet yesterday I noticed a very audible 'clunk' when releasing the clutch in first gear from a standing start, which made me think about the rear engine mount having carked it as well.

A few of the guys had a listen last night and suspected it was some of the engine bay trim rubbing, but there was no real way to tell just with a torch and bonnet up.

Booked in for Tunehouse on Thursday next week, so will post an update as soon as I hear anything.

I should add that I currently have the SURE REM installed (albeit only on for ~8,000kms) so it could just be another instance of a SURE REM shitting itself.

CPE S2 is going in next week though.

SO the car went to Tunehouse today and the verdict is in....

Good news is that the rattles seem to be from the radiator support panels and the plastic stuff all over the front of the bonnet and not something more sinister. Bad news is that there's not much that can really be done, so I'll most likely have to live with the noise.

Might try my luck at a Mazda dealership and see what they say, but I'll have no expectations.