User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2013 BMW M135i - Alpine White - Opticoat

Default Dan's Garage - 2013 BMW M135i - Alpine White - Opticoat

This one came to me only a couple of weeks old. It's the first one I'd seen in the flesh and the marketing material photos don't do it justice.

The styling isn't as aggressive as say an M3 or 1M, but start it up and you can hear it means business lol.

Here's the car as presented:

A reasonable amount of contamination on the wheels:

And quite a fair bit on the body itself. Though this isn't unusual for a newly imported Euro. It's obviously seen some rail transport in its travels.

Foam decon wash

Two bucket wash, clay and then under the lights for inspection:

Light but consistent swirling across the car.

v

Also some light hazing

and some missed adhesive from the protective packing

Paint depths varied across the car from high 130s

To as low as 105 microns on the roof. I certainly wasn't expecting a new BMW to be this low. A good lesson to take paint depth readings regardless of the car.

Gloss readings showing low-mid 80s GU. Not too bad.

Post-correction, gloss levels were better, but the orange peel definitely interfered.

The painted mirrors weren't bad but there was some light hazing here too. Indicating that it could be finished down a little better than its present condition

Post-correction. Hazing eliminated. Gloss improved.

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

The gloss black B pillars already showing signs of marring.

Post-correction. These were Opti-coated along with the rest of the car to provide some protection against further marring

More swirling and hazing down the side of the car

Post-correction

And more adhesive too

Post-correction

Post-correction shots

Hazing gone.

Final outdoor shots. The sun was gone for most of them but it peeked through for about 30 sec and I was able to grab a couple of front shots before it ran away again

Thanks for looking
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Great job as always.. I really don't like the 1 series accept the coupes.

My sister has the 1 coupe and its like a go kart on rails great to drive! Dan I'm so impressed the way you make cars look better then new is astonishing!

Awesome work matey!

I absolutely looooove this car. I have had my eye on it as it was getting release mid 2012.

A chick at work bought a black one earlier on this year, and it is just sensational... You can pick them up from about $80k! Then let the modding begin!

I reckon best bimmer ever released! Especially when you consider bang for buck... Sure it's no M3, but its half the cost (literally).

Nice work mate!

Have to say, BMW makes some good looking cars. Not that I'm biased having had one before the MPS. lol