Filed under: Sedan, Technology, Mazda

Even before Mazda unveiled the 2014 Mazda6, it had introduced its innovative, non-hybrid i-Eloop (Intelligent Energy Loop) brake regeneration system. This technology converts kinetic energy into usable electricity using the alternator, a DC/DC converter and a capacitor mounted just behind the front fascia. During deceleration, the alternator captures energy that is then stored in the capacitor, which can later be used to directly power electric devices like climate control and audio systems. When i-Eloop power is used, it reduces the load on the engine and helps to conserve fuel.

Now available on the Mazda6, i-Eloop is only available on the $29,695 Grand Touring trim level as a part of the $2,080 GT Technology Package, meaning that buyers desiring i-Eloop will have to spend at least $31,775 (not including destination). The added price of this technology should be worth it for those looking for optimal fuel economy as the i-Eloop, combined with the package's active grille shutters, will bump the sedan's fuel economy numbers up to 28 miles per gallon city and 40 mpg highway - both are improvements of 2 mpg over the standard Mazda6 Grand Touring. The GT Technology Package also includes a Sport mode, lane departure warning, high beam control, radar cruise control and forward obstruction warning - the latter two technologies are currently offered in a $900 package that is being discontinued.

i-Eloop will eventually be offered on other Mazda products including the 2014 Mazda3. Scroll down for the official press release on the Mazda6's fuel-saving i-Eloop technology.Continue reading 2014 Mazda6 i-Eloop to net 40 mpg hwy, 28 mpg city
2014 Mazda6 i-Eloop to net 40 mpg hwy, 28 mpg city originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...