User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car is running like a dog!

Damn bobby thats no good.. hope this dont happen to me when I put my fp internals in and load s2 map

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    Damn bobby thats no good.. hope this dont happen to me when I put my fp internals in and load s2 map

yeah Will, fingers crossed yours goes more smoothly, not feeling very good about all this at the moment :-/
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

For a sainity check, please have a look at the intake clamps near the battery to make sure they have not chewed the Ecu loom.

Sent from my S4 while I'm tappin dat' glass.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Just to get my head around this, when you step on the gas, pressure builds and air is lost through a leak after the turbo. This is metered air (by the MAF) that is escaping.
    However, fuel is still being injected for that air which means that there is more fuel being injected than is really needed. Having more fuel than needed means the mixture is "Rich" (dirty exhaust etc etc)
    The O2 sensor detects this, by the fact there is little to no O2 after combustion in the exhaust and so this is where the LTFT's come in. The ECU knows that more air (or less fuel) needs to be in the cylinder for a better burn, so it pulls fuel (The 20% @SarcasticOne mentioned) to adjust for this.

As for the codes, am I right in assuming reasons why these code have been shown?

P0172 - Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1 - Detects the system is running too rich
    P0234 - Turbocharger Engine Overboost - ECU telling the turbo to add more boost because air is being lost, meaning overboost is detected?
    P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected - There is way too little air in the cylinder causing combustion to not occur correctly

I don't understand this one. Can someone explain please?

P0138 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    this is all somewhat right...
    the ECU has 2 "modes" these are called open loop and closed loop
    Open Loop: the car gets told by the MAF calibration that there is a certain amount of air going in, it then looks for the requested AFT for that RPM/load and squirts in the appropriate amount of fuel, nice and simple!
    Closed Loop: this is effectively the same as open loop, but for one key difference... the O2 sensors come into play
    for example, the requested AFR is 14, and it's reading 12.6 from the O2 sensor, there is obviously more fuel in being injected than there should be, so the ECU will pull back the amount of fuel, this immediate pulling of fuel is reflected in the Short Term Fuel Trim over time, this updates the Long Term Fuel Trim so that at a given MAF voltage, the car automatically pulls/adds a certain amount of fuel

so, the order of Closed Loop is as follows:
    read MAF voltage
    Look up requested AFR, add/subtract LTFT
    Inject fuel
    Compare O2 reading to requested AFR
    Modify STFT and/or LTFT

by seeing that the LTFT is seriously -ve, this means the car is pulling a large percentage of the fuel it thinks should be going in, therefore, not all the air that is going past the MAF sensor is entering the engine

when a car goes richer (ie AFR gets lower) than expected, the cause is usually post turbo, as the pressured air will escape
    when the car goes leaner (ie AFR goes higher) than expected, the cause is usually between the MAF sensor and the turbo itself as the turbo is sucking in extra air

im not sure why the overboost CEL is occurring... but the rest could certainly be caused by the car running too rich...
    P0138 is believe is caused by too much fuel going into the car and possibly coating the O2 sensor...
    get it running back to where it should be, and everything should be fine
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Righto, might have found the calprite. Will load stage1 with injen cai and head out for another run

Come on bobby bring back good news

Keep us posted

Sent from my S4 while I'm tappin dat' glass.

So a hose from the back of the intercooler was loose...so tightened & loaded the stage 1 Injen CAI map again & here are the results...car felt the best it has for a few days right up til the last few hundred metres from completing the log...weird because it started to misbehave when i started putting it around between 40-60km/h in 3rd and 4th. Hoping it's just trying to get any excess fuel out from where it shouldn't be? Anyways here are the logs...BTW the overboost code is still there 234, and so are 138 & 172. Now weird thing is i checked the codes when the car was running and the 172 code wasn't there, only appeared after i switched the engine off...I'm also fairly sure that the 138 code is a known issue, basically been there since i've upgrading the exhaust, we've tried to resolve this by adding a spacer to the O2 sensor but not much luck (i think this is a common fault on Gen2s?).

I accidentially dropped the cobb while driving so it may have restarted the log hence the 3 attachments...hope it doesn't confuse

datalog11.csvdatalog12.csvdatalog13.csv
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Did you try resetting the ecu at all??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    Did you try resetting the ecu at all??
    no, didn't think to do that mate. You mean removing the stage1 map and reloading it?

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    no, didn't think to do that mate. You mean removing the stage1 map and reloading it?
    Just take the negative off for half hour n it should reset the ecu. While you wait double check all the clamps n hoses, maybe do a leak test
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

still a leak there
    can see you stepping on the gas at 336 and 388 at least
    AFR's go to 9's again...

might be a stretch, but can you swap back to stock TMIC?

else, you're going to need to get a boost leak test done...
    other option, find someone who's a smoker, or light a bit of paper on fire, and have the smoke go into the intake whilst the car is idling (not sure if this is valid or safe)
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 06-07-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

There could be a crack in the aftermarket tmic, it can happen.

The P0138 is an interesting one. High voltage can either mean it is rich beyond the sensors ability to measure, or there is a fault with the sensor itself. The first is possible, but the second would be a very good reason for all your riching issues.

However, none of your other CEL's relate to overboosting.
    This one has me concerned, simply because the K04, in an uncontrolled boost situation, can deliver near on 50psi, in the lower revs, to your cylinders. And that is going to blow the shit out of your engine.

While the riching problems are worrying, the overboost should be your priority, due to the potential for catastrophic engine damage.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

for the moment chuck the safe map back on... it'll limit your boost to 10-11psi

Still?
    After the phone call and discussion?

Simple ECU reset is to remove the Negative clamp and depress the brake pedal for 3-5 seconds.
    This will remove any charge the ECU may hold.

Yup, I'm at a loss. Gonna put it out there, shoulda stuck with the haltech

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    There could be a crack in the aftermarket tmic, it can happen.

The P0138 is an interesting one. High voltage can either mean it is rich beyond the sensors ability to measure, or there is a fault with the sensor itself. The first is possible, but the second would be a very good reason for all your riching issues.

However, none of your other CEL's relate to overboosting.
    This one has me concerned, simply because the K04, in an uncontrolled boost situation, can deliver near on 50psi, in the lower revs, to your cylinders. And that is going to blow the shit out of your engine.

While the riching problems are worrying, the overboost should be your priority, due to the potential for catastrophic engine damage.
    So is there any info online about the overboosting issue? MSF?

Define overboost anyone? How high does the boost have to be to throw this code?
    The highest boost in the log is 20.5 PSI and this is at 9.07 AFR... Would these be linked? (ie, high boost because low AFR)

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    still a leak there
    can see you stepping on the gas at 336 and 388 at least
    AFR's go to 9's again...

might be a stretch, but can you swap back to stock TMIC?

else, you're going to need to get a boost leak test done...
    other option, find someone who's a smoker, or light a bit of paper on fire, and have the smoke go into the intake whilst the car is idling (not sure if this is valid or safe)
    righto thanks, I'll get a boost leak test done on Monday

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast