User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car is running like a dog!

can you grab a log of the car idling?
    usually a rich AFR is a sign of a post-turbo leak
    and if it's rich enough, could cause mis-fires

Yeah I can Sam. might have to leave it now til tomorrow or Sunday...neighbours are over the fuel fumes . Fouled plug hey Justin, is there are simple test I can do to work out if this is the fault?

- - - Updated - - -

and thanks everyone for hopping on board to help trouble-shoot this.
    Last edited by LRRH; 05-07-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Yea check ur plugs n make sure they all gapped correctly

Have to remove them have a look at this

http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/te...-plug-analysis

Sent from my S4 while I'm tappin dat' glass.

Sorry to hear about this cause I know how excited u were when u got the Cobb.As Jamac said try reloading map, bad plug.
    c if u can get your car in earlier than the 18th for the tune that way they can check everything if they know about Cobbs and check everything else.

Wish i was good with numbers got alot to learn i think..anyways log @ idle this morning...datalog6.csv

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Sorry to hear about this cause I know how excited u were when u got the Cobb.As Jamac said try reloading map, bad plug.
    c if u can get your car in earlier than the 18th for the tune that way they can check everything if they know about Cobbs and check everything else.
    Yeah, thanks man. Hopefully i can trouble-shoot through this over the week-end. As a last resort i have the car in for a service on Monday and can get my mechanic (who also happens to be a tuner) to look over everything for me.
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Get the injen map:
    Maps-Archives
    Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    yeah, been driving it daily since the cobb was loaded and it seems to have gotten worse as the week has progressed...not putting around the streets mainly when i'm on the motorway climbing through the gears
    ok, first thing that stands out to me is that LTFT is -18.75 this means the car is pulling fuel based on the O2 sensor
    that you say it's worse when climbing through the gears, im guessing there is a leak between turbo and engine
    if possible, check clamps/hoses, make sure they're on tight

it might be worth grabbing the injen CAI map as well, just in case the MAF size is significantly different...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

What did you gap your spark plugs at?

Also check your boost control solenoid on the front of the turbo, and the boost lines running off it, and to the TIP.

Lastly, Do you have an aftermarket TIP? If you do, check the clamps near the loom to the PCM, and make sure the clamp is not cutting through the loom (This is a bad one)

Running too rich is not drastic at first, though eventually it is going to foul your plugs and wreck your catalytic converter.

Overboosting however is not good. Even the K04, in an overboost situation, can damage your motor badly.

As a last thing, check that your BPV is functioning properly, and that there is no damage to either the hoses running to it, or that the BPV is leaking itself.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    ok, first thing that stands out to me is that LTFT is -18.75 this means the car is pulling fuel based on the O2 sensor
    that you say it's worse when climbing through the gears, im guessing there is a leak between turbo and engine
    if possible, check clamps/hoses, make sure they're on tight

it might be worth grabbing the injen CAI map as well, just in case the MAF size is significantly different...
    ok thanks Sam
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

also, am wondering if something has happened with ECU/wiring with removal of haltech ECU...

Sounding like i'm just better off parking it until Monday....

DID you remove/unplug the wires off the ECU?

The Haltech was removed and the car was started to ensure it ran correctly. No issues.
    The plugs were gapped as requested to 0.028. No issues.
    Boost hoses etc were all double cheked after the initial drive, TMIC to rubber elbow was not tightened, adjusted and issue resolved.

The car has Injen SRI, 2XS TIP, Corksport TMIC, twin DP and cat, 2XS cat back, FP upgrade.

As I didn't have access to a computer, I could only load the supplied tunes.
    I've loaded what closest resembled the items fitted.
    I ended up with the "factory installed" stage 2 + 98 from memory.

I can only assume the car is running rich, (noted as soon as Bob picked the car up, black exhaust tips) to the point, it may be fouling plugs, O2 sensor etc.
    All the codes displayed would be caused by being too rich.

As I have discussed Bob, I'm usually always available for after sales service.
    I hope we can get this sorted.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Yeah thanks Troy. No doubting everything you've done mate, I just know how busy you are at present with other things so didn't want to disturb you this weekend. Throwing it open for discussion isn't the worse thing in the world, handy to get different points of view...this sort of stuff is a learning curve for me. So for the record i still have no drama with highly endorsing your work and products! In fact how about considering forum sponsorship again

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I can only assume the car is running rich, (noted as soon as Bob picked the car up, black exhaust tips) to the point, it may be fouling plugs, O2 sensor etc.
    All the codes displayed would be caused by being too rich.

As I have discussed Bob, I'm usually always available for after sales service.
    I hope we can get this sorted.
    Just trying to work out what's causing the rich condition

The 2 things the ltft tell me are that the ECU thinks there is a lot more air going in then there is...

It's pulling 20% of the fuel... So either tune is badly wrong, or there is air escaping after MAF sensor... Absolute worst case, issue with ECU loom
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Thanks Sam. I have the INCAI Stage 1 map. I'm going to re-load the standard/oem map and give it a run, then i'll load this map. Hoping it's all tune related because the changes made & work performed shouldn't have caused anything too sinister. Thanks again for everyone's imput. I'' keep posts going with updates..

Cheers
    Bob

So just logged with Stage0 Map and the car felt like it ran perfectly (misfired once early on, almost like it was clearing it's throat) but after that it seemed normal. There were codes though...P0138 & P2097 datalog7.csv

Then loaded a stage1 map that included the InjenCAI + TIH + IC + FP + 98 as suggested & she was back to running like a pig again, i forgot to check codes before i re-flashed though sorry but here is the log datalog9.csv.

datalog 7:
    just before 240, can see the car goes to 9.9 AFR's this is rich...
    every time it gets into boost, the AFR's plummet... says to me there is a rather serious leak
    also at 300-307, and once you hit 5000rpm, AFR's are sub 10...

datalog 9 is evern worse, hitting mid 8's

your 2 CEL's are related to the system being too rich

Just to get my head around this, when you step on the gas, pressure builds and air is lost through a leak after the turbo. This is metered air (by the MAF) that is escaping.
    However, fuel is still being injected for that air which means that there is more fuel being injected than is really needed. Having more fuel than needed means the mixture is "Rich" (dirty exhaust etc etc)
    The O2 sensor detects this, by the fact there is little to no O2 after combustion in the exhaust and so this is where the LTFT's come in. The ECU knows that more air (or less fuel) needs to be in the cylinder for a better burn, so it pulls fuel (The 20% @SarcasticOne mentioned) to adjust for this.

As for the codes, am I right in assuming reasons why these code have been shown?

P0172 - Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1 - Detects the system is running too rich
    P0234 - Turbocharger Engine Overboost - ECU telling the turbo to add more boost because air is being lost, meaning overboost is detected?
    P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected - There is way too little air in the cylinder causing combustion to not occur correctly

I don't understand this one. Can someone explain please?

P0138 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast