User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlight rejuvenation/correction and Windscreen treating.

Suggestions on what to seal with after restoring? I can get a nice finish with the combination of pads/polishes i have on my DAS-6 Pro, but don't have anything to seal with apart from waxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    Suggestions on what to seal with after restoring? I can get a nice finish with the combination of pads/polishes i have on my DAS-6 Pro, but don't have anything to seal with apart from waxes.
    This: https://www.zas.com.au/product/665/o...ting_10cc.html
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

So I will probably be fly kicked by CaffineFiend for saying this: I use a Meguiars liquid wax someone got me as a gift on my 6's headlights. My logic it's a 'cheap and cheerful' product that I can regularly top up the finish on my headlights without too much drama or expense (just carefull of using too much wax as you'll tend to leave residue in places you don't want). I ususally give my headlights and tail lights a good clean a top up at least once a month, although they're overdue for a machine polish. So yes you can use a wax :P it's not the best solution, but it works for me.

The Megs plastic polish is also pretty good too.

If you're after something specific I think Prima's hyro seal would probably work (but you'd be doing your whole car at the same time).

(...and before anyone asks - no I don't use Megs wax on my paint... My car's finished with Swissvax Glacier - although I have used the Megs wax on the insides of my door frames and boot etc... :P)

Thanks for the suggestion, CaffineFiend - it's a little intimidating at first looks though!
    Anything perhaps not so "permanent", in case i screw it up? :P

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    So I will probably be fly kicked by CaffineFiend for saying this: I use a Meguiars liquid wax someone got me as a gift on my 6's headlights. My logic it's a 'cheap and cheerful' product that I can regularly top up the finish on my headlights without too much drama or expense (just carefull of using too much wax as you'll tend to leave residue in places you don't want). I ususally give my headlights and tail lights a good clean a top up at least once a month, although they're overdue for a machine polish. So yes you can use a wax :P it's not the best solution, but it works for me.

The Megs plastic polish is also pretty good too.

If you're after something specific I think Prima's hyro seal would probably work (but you'd be doing your whole car at the same time).

(...and before anyone asks - no I don't use Megs wax on my paint... My car's finished with Swissvax Glacier - although I have used the Megs wax on the insides of my door frames and boot etc... :P)

Nah not at all.

What you say is correct re waxes. The only problem is that they won't necessarily protect the polycarbonate from UV, meaning they could still fade with wax on them (and require re-machining). It's certainly better than nothing though.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, CaffineFiend - it's a little intimidating at first looks though!
    Anything perhaps not so "permanent", in case i screw it up? :P
    As above mate. Something like Opti-Lens is quite easy to apply over a small area like headlights. It's mainly when applying to large areas or not prepping properly that people tend to get into trouble with products like these. As long as you prep correctly and have good lighting to work by it's not particularly difficult.

ie post-correction, wipe the area down thoroughly with an IPA solution diluted down to approx 15% or use a product like Carpro Eraser also diluted down to 15%. Use clean good quality microfibres that don't shed (Optimum Edgeless MF are my choice)

Tape off surrounding areas of the headlights to ensure you don't get Opti-Lens on the paint. It shouldn't adversely affect the paint but it's neater if you keep the application to the headlights only.

Apply the Opti-Lens to a microfibre applicator (there should be one included in the Opti-Lens kit). Use an "X" shape on the pad initially.

Use the MF applicator to apply the Opti-Lens to the headlight. Use overlapping left->right, up->down method to ensure total coverage across the headlight. Take your time here.

Take your MF towel and buff (knock down) the Opti-Lens on the headlight so that no high-spots remain. This is easy, you just need reasonable fluoro lighting to be able to make sure the Opti-Lens is properly buffed. Even a portable camping fluoro will do in a pinch. Check the light from several different angles to make sure the Opti-Lens isn't smeared in any spot.

Do the other headlight

Open beer, drink, profit
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Open beer, drink, profit
    This is my favorite part, but many thanks for the explanation - doesn't sound as scary when you explain like that
    Thanks!
    BK MPS3 Sports - Work Meister S1R
    CP-e Catalogue. JDM Goodies.

hehehe :P Not too worried about UV... my beast spends 90% of it's life in a garage, tucked into bed under a cover.

I read "IPA solution" and instantly thought beer...

has anone ever removed the glass from the headlight, the fading seems to be on the inside of the headlight, ive seen somewhere that u can put it in the oven to soften the glue to take the glass panel off?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    has anone ever removed the glass from the headlight, the fading seems to be on the inside of the headlight, ive seen somewhere that u can put it in the oven to soften the glue to take the glass panel off?
    Have done about 20 sp20 headlights and 10 300zx headlights and 4 evo headlights.

a nice range, some glass some poly carb lense.

Mps uses poly carb... much easier to separate.

Yes you can pull them apart... but only do it if you are really keen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12