User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown clutch

1. Default Blown clutch

Hi All
    New to this forum thing as being an old gumby 50+ has its technical issues.
    Picked up a black Mps6 with leather and sunroof at a auction with a blown clutch (declared) very nice car.
    Have been ringing and net checking and have found that the Aus factor is applied to spares for this car (1 k in USA 2.5 k in AUS ) as repairing this car is not urgent any suggestions would be helpful.
    Even thinking that this car could be parted out as donors don't seem to be around yet this would be a shame.

Hi Mick,

I suppose a couple of questions are in order here.

Is the car modified at all?

Are you looking at modifying it for more power, and what amount of power?

Do you want an oem style of clutch and flywheel, since the oem flywheel cannot be machined on our cars, or do you want a stronger clutch/flywheel combination?

Be aware there are a couple of extra costs in doing the clutch for the MPS 6 in particular. One is the clutch slave cylinder potentially needs to be replaced, another is that removing the gearbox requires either removal of the engine as well, or dropping the subframe (If you have a hoist free lol). There are also a couple of suggested part replacement items that are non-oem, to improve shift quality and longevity, and a couple of things that should be checked that may require replacement.

Feel free to PM (Private message) me if you want further information.

Cheers,

Jace
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Hi and welcome to ozmps .. Just be aware if Littleredmps if he asks to come around to your house be sure your daughters are out for the day ( if you have daughters )

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Hi and welcome to ozmps .. Just be aware if Littleredmps if he asks to come around to your house be sure your daughters are out for the day ( if you have daughters )
    Do not listen to this man. He is mad and drives naked all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Do not listen to this man. He is mad and drives naked all the time
    I like the feel of the leather ok.... back on topic sorry lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

6. Default

History of the car tells me it was not modified and sold from a Mazda dealer six months ago to a young bloke who had more testosterone then brains hence the blown clutch and repossessed car the car reads high ks at 190,000 yet the service record states last service 3 months ago at 86,000 so another mystery I still have not decided what to do with the car as the more I look atit the more I like it so mods would minor I am a sedate driver 53 years old with an enjoyment of sunday drives with the wife.
    I do understand the difference between dual and single mass flywheels and that the job of changing the clutch is not a easy task. The car was only 4 k with no rego
    And yes I do have 22 year old daughter whom would like me to give her the car.

If you're not planning on doing anything too crazy, stick with stock clutch... Just get OEM replacement

Got a nice car for 4k, pity about the previous owner being a complete tosspot tho...

8. Default

Yes is a lot of car for money yet i don't know of any other problems till I drive it could have diff problems I know motor is fine.
    i have been trying to get a price for stock clutch and DM flywheel from Luk out of Germany as that is where they are made and prices in the US seem well priced for this solution except the Us part numbers don't match my research and in Aus nobody is willing to help.
    It seems aust clutch wholesales would like 100% return to get one yet I would like to buy a kit in Aus even if price was 1.5 k verses $800 Us

I personally do not have much respect for a large amount of australian suppliers anymore, and certainly not any loyalty.

I will freely admit that there is gold among the dross, though it is about that easy to find too lol.

I would probably suggest not going with the oem clutch, though getting the oem DM flywheel would be fine (Though expensive to buy). The oem clutch takes enough of a pounding on the 3's neverlone with the awd 6.

If you are not fussed about keeping the oem DM flywheel and just running close to oem power levels, there is a plethora of options for single mass flywheel/clutch combo's around, that will be far more cost effective, and have more longevity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    I personally do not have much respect for a large amount of australian suppliers anymore, and certainly not any loyalty.

I will freely admit that there is gold among the dross, though it is about that easy to find too lol.

I would probably suggest not going with the oem clutch, though getting the oem DM flywheel would be fine (Though expensive to buy). The oem clutch takes enough of a pounding on the 3's neverlone with the awd 6.

If you are not fussed about keeping the oem DM flywheel and just running close to oem power levels, there is a plethora of options for single mass flywheel/clutch combo's around, that will be far more cost effective, and have more longevity as well.
    i'll concede to those whom are more knowledgeable than me
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

11. Default

The three options that I have found are the ACT $800,CPE $1200, Clutch master $1000 all in US dollars I am not sure what to buy as options include stage 1 2 or 3 alloy flywheel or steel. And to the normal driver the last thing I need to buy is something that shudders on takeoff or i need to wear steel capped work boots to push the clutch in.

I would suggest a single mass flywheel with slighter heavier pressure plate and fibre clutch disc, not overly expensive parts just that the part lives between a rock and a hard place

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    The three options that I have found are the ACT $800,CPE $1200, Clutch master $1000 all in US dollars I am not sure what to buy as options include stage 1 2 or 3 alloy flywheel or steel. And to the normal driver the last thing I need to buy is something that shudders on takeoff or i need to wear steel capped work boots to push the clutch in.
    To give you some help:

ACT - ZX5-HDSS is the preferable clutch that you want. ACT clutches have gotten very good feedback from MPS drivers in America and here. Steel flywheel.
    ZX5-HDSS // Advanced Clutch Technology

CPE - No feedback on these clutches. They are considered overpriced for their capabilities. This kit uses an aluminium flywheel.

Clutch Master - Several bad feedbacks relating to flywheel distortion, to the point of loosening flywheel bolts. Not a recommended option whatsoever.

Southbend - A relative newcomer to the MPS clutch scene. Their clutches, while a bit expensive, are getting very good reviews for longevity, ease of engagement, and excellent construction. Steel flywheel.
    SBC Stage 2 Mazdaspeed Clutch

Personally I would pick either the ACT or Southbend clutch kits. The ACT is cheaper and comes with pilot and thrust bearings, the Southbend is more sturdy but only comes with flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I would think twice about the ACT clutch,reviews on corksport show quite a few slipping with not many KM and someone on this forum not long ago had a slipping ACT clutch I think.
    check out spec clutch and fidanza flywheel these are supposed to be a good combination u can get the from our site sponsors Edge auto-sports
    Last edited by chef; 29-06-2013 at 11:50 PM.

15. Default

This is what I have found , good reports bad reports mixed with reasonable pricing ,unreasonable pricing eg.exeedy from Adelaide clutch $2300 and they don't recommend Luk when they are a supplier . So I still find myself with mixed results has anyone had positive results with after market single mass or double mass .

I think a lot of it comes down to how you treat your clutch, and the power you are running through them.

I personally am not a fan of aluminium flywheels. They are too light for a start, and reduce the rotational mass too much, in my mind.

I will admit the Fidanza flywheel is supposed to be quite good but aluminium flywheels are just not my cup of tea.

17. Default

To me it's not the price of the clutch it's doing the same job twice that would be a pain

Hey matey, I got the clutch combo as per my signature... Build here about 5km from my house, and fitted about 30km... All local, so if something goes wrong I can have local support.

Due to single mass fly, upside is you can machine next time instead of replacing, but vibes if you accidentally leave in too-high-a-gear, like going around a corner and forgetting to downshift.

The pressure plate was a lot stronger than factory spec, but they set it up that well that its easier to operate than original clutch.

It also rides/slips very easily (when taking off at lights), it has the drivability of my sisters new lancer... But has the balls to back up the power the engine puts out.

I also concur with ACT not being a great option... have heard several bad feedback when I was looking around for mine.
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

A few of us are running NPC clutch and flywheels, give them a call! To answer your concern of a heavy pedal, if you do go a heavy duty pressure plate the increase in pedal effort is not super high and it will def out weigh the previous inconsistent feel that many 6 owners complained about. From memory my set up was around 1600 so a more oem spec kit may come in under that.

20. Default

Thanks for all the info I will give them a call tomorrow then look at pulling th gearbox out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast