User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning options for mps 3 gen 1 in sydney

1. Default tuning options for mps 3 gen 1 in sydney

Hi guys,

Wondering what the best value tune is in sydney at the moment for my mps 3 gen 1?

Im aware of tunehouse and mrt, can anyone offer any recomendations?

After some extra power, I have no mods except for airfilter.

Cobb AP best value.
    Then TH.
    Then MRT
    Nobody else really has much of a track record with MPS.

3. Default

Is the cobb ap safe and easy to install? What is the cost and approximate power gain?

$600 shipped
    can you plug a USB stick in and copy files? if so, you can use an AP
    other perfectly viable option is VT

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/ecu-m...solutions.html <--

That $600 is getting closer to AUD$650 now though.....

AP has been proven by many time and time again though.

A Hypertech even easier if you only got the simplest of mods. And roughly half the price 2nd hand which in reality they have only been used once or twice anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    A Hypertech even easier if you only got the simplest of mods. And roughly half the price 2nd hand which in reality they have only been used once or twice anyway.
    agreed
    i just suggest an AP or VT mainly due to logging capabilities, which allow us to help diagnose people's issues
    if you get a HT, would also suggest either investing in a scanner of some sort
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Hi guys,

Wondering what the best value tune is in sydney at the moment for my mps 3 gen 1?

Im aware of tunehouse and mrt, can anyone offer any recomendations?

After some extra power, I have no mods except for airfilter.
    There are 2 hypertech for sale in buy and sell section, u could prob pik up for 250 plus delivery which is a bargin
    hypertech is very easy just plug and play

AP or VT,

VT also has base tunes that you can flash for most minor mods or if you start getting into it more you can build your own tune. There is also VT tuner forum with many smart people who can are happy to help

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    There are 2 hypertech for sale in buy and sell section, u could prob pik up for 250 plus delivery which is a bargin
    hypertech is very easy just plug and play
    Wow. How safe is hypertech? Do you get good power gains and does anyone need to check over the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Wow. How safe is hypertech? Do you get good power gains and does anyone need to check over the upgrade?
    I have never used Hypertech but maybe @Jamac might chime in he had one on his MPS 6 they are pretty popular on forums, over the the long term the Cobb ap seems to be the best bang for $ and the best Bang is what were after
    Last edited by chef; 28-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Had hypertech on mine for a while.
    Very good for the money. Removing the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions is the big gain.
    Throttle response I found a little strange. All the power seemed to be in the first 50%.
    WOT didn't seem to do any more than half throttle.

In a stock car with just intake they are excellent. But if you ever plan to modify further, get the AP

Sam @SarcasticOne had his tuned with hypertech and all usual bolt on mods. It did some funny things and was probably out of hypertechs ability.
    I believe he thought it was better with the stock tune.
    MRT have a picture of his dyno run with it. They use it to brag how good they are and how bad hypertech is. But they claim the car just has an intake, which is lies.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

If you buy an app COBB etc and it doesn't suit u anymore just sell it on forums and you haven't lost anything it's a win win.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Had hypertech on mine for a while.
    Very good for the money. Removing the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions is the big gain.
    Throttle response I found a little strange. All the power seemed to be in the first 50%.
    WOT didn't seem to do any more than half throttle.

In a stock car with just intake they are excellent. But if you ever plan to modify further, get the AP

Sam @SarcasticOne had his tuned with hypertech and all usual bolt on mods. It did some funny things and was probably out of hypertechs ability.
    I believe he thought it was better with the stock tune.
    MRT have a picture of his dyno run with it. They use it to brag how good they are and how bad hypertech is. But they claim the car just has an intake, which is lies.
    Dude I spent $580 have SRI, TIP and Hypertech. Couldn't be more pleased with the power and improvements. I have no plans for more mods thou. It's perfect for this and no more. It spins tyres in third gear! Start small start cheap. You can always sell the Hypertech on with you mod past its capabilities anyway. They hold their value pretty well. If u buy 2nd hand u can probably sell for the same in 6 months to year.

Before you ask this question, read the tuning and ECU section.
    What are you trying to achieve? How far are you wanting to take this? What is your mod path..

The question is as generic as 'I want to build a house', are we talking a shack, a unit, a town house, a house, a mansion, a block of units?

Everyone has different needs and requirements, most of the methods are not directly comparable as 'better' or 'worse'.

If you just want to take it to a shop and make it their problem go to Tunehouse. If you want to make an educated decision, then read the tunning/ecu section starting with the stickies.

ECU Modification/Flashing
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Noob question, but does tuning has to be done by someone that has done a MPS before? Like, isn't tuning method technically the same with different make/model?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Noob question, but does tuning has to be done by someone that has done a MPS before? Like, isn't tuning method technically the same with different make/model?

Basically. The MPS has a few things about it that are quite different to the usual EVO/STi etc.
    Get these things wrong, and it doesn't take much, things get very expensive very quickly.
    As some tuners have found inthe past.

thats why its bestto research A LOT and probably pick the tuner with the most experience on MPS.
    And for NSW that would be Tunehouse
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

And I suppose that few things woulda be discussed on MSF? Personally when time comes to tuning my mps, I would not go with either MRT or TH. MRT seems to overcharge heaps and TH.....let's just say they tuned my previous car and it was disappointing........

Then Cobb AP and E-tune

The thing is, our engine is very much the stepping stone for DI turbo engines...

The current generation from merc/ford/VAG etc, are all a step beyond ours... It was one of the first, and therefore, has a lot of quirks that make it unlike many other engines...

It's why we'll be left behind with any injector upgrades (new gen cars are 2200-2500psi vs our 1600-1800) we also run Mitsubishi injectors... For which there is no upgrade path at all yet... And are unlikely to ever be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast