User Tag List

Thread: Engine hesitation issue with MPS6

Default Engine hesitation issue with MPS6

Hey Guys,

There are several threads that i've found that refer to an engine hesitation, but most seem to be during WOT - Mine is different to this so i've posted a new thread.

I recently purchased a MPS6 a couple of months ago and have noticed a hesitation issue when under normal acceleration at around 2-3K revs. I purchased a Cobb AP and have logged what I think is the problem occurring. The log is highlighted in red where this occurs. The car runs slightly lean when coming on boost as AFR's hit the 15's and a small amount of knock is detected. This is not something I can repeat and happens randomly. I need to also state that it is not a WOT problem and happens when just driving around normally. The car seems to lose power for a second or two but if I do the same thing again a minute later its fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfwqkv96ho...SModified.xlsx

To date i've:

*Replaced and gapped plugs
    *Replaced oil and oil filter
    *Stretched coil pack springs
    *Changed air filter
    *Cleaned MAF sensor
    *Bought Cobb AP and am running the Stage 1 98 tune
    *Done a MAF calibration
    *Installed a Grimmspeed boost controller

It doesn't appear to be fuel pump related but next I plan to get the Autotech internals anyway as a precautionary measure

I appreciate any advice you can give as i'm stumped

Dan

2. Default

Injectors need a clean perhaps?
    Replaced the fuel filter?

You seem to have tried everything... Have you checked your ABS sensor? Maybe it's dirty and cutting in ? Happened to a couple other cars I've encountered

I was googling like a mofo and found this - Fuel Pressure Dips - Mazdaspeed Forums

I've pulled the sensor and pushed the pins down a little to make better contact. I don't know if its all in my head, but the issue appears to be gone now...

The plug looked perfectly clean when I took it off, so i'm highly doubtful, but after two days the issue doesn't seem to have come back and the car seems smoother.

Thanks for your suggestions regardless... I'll try them if the problem re-appears

Dan

May need to replace the sensor if it continues

Has the problem reappeared Dan? I have the exact same problem and have had no luck fixing it. When the hesitation happens I get a DTC stating that my car has a misfire in cylinder 4.....annoying to say the least

I think it has. I just installed a Cobb SRI and loaded a different tune that does not have my accelerator pedal smoothing and MAF calibration as part of it, so i'm going to re-do those.

Have you tried all of the other things I mentioned in the first post? I've never had the car throw a code, only felt the slight effects of it

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Has the problem reappeared Dan? I have the exact same problem and have had no luck fixing it. When the hesitation happens I get a DTC stating that my car has a misfire in cylinder 4.....annoying to say the least
    Modifications? What have you tried?
    -clean maf
    -check air filter
    -check boost leaks
    -check for fouled spark plugs
    -try the spring stretch

How are you checking the dtc?

Sent from my S4 while I'm tappin dat' glass.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I dont want to jinx it but the problem hasnt come back after I pulled the spark plugs and gave them a good clean up with a wire brush on thursday. I also cleaned the fuel pressure sensor again vigorously which I think may have been the problem all along.

The problem was only happening once everytime I drove it, then it started happening so often during a trip to the point I would get shitty and floor it, resulting in it hesitating really bad and a DTC code.

Jmac I found that my plugs were fouled on thursday hense why I gave them a clean up. I knew the hesitation was caused by a temporary over fueling problem as I had the same type of hesitation on a s14 silvia years ago, and the exhaust tip on the MPS had colected more black soot than most peoples chimneys.

I checked for boost leaks and re-checked all hoses etc, did the spring stretch, Air filter is brand new and the maf was cleaned when I installed the new filter.

My mods atm are a COBB SRI, Hypertech (Used Hypertech to check DTC) and Prosport boostgauge as I havnt had the car long and I'm currently unemployed

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DannersAU View Post
    Hey Guys,

There are several threads that i've found that refer to an engine hesitation, but most seem to be during WOT - Mine is different to this so i've posted a new thread.

I recently purchased a MPS6 a couple of months ago and have noticed a hesitation issue when under normal acceleration at around 2-3K revs. I purchased a Cobb AP and have logged what I think is the problem occurring. The log is highlighted in red where this occurs. The car runs slightly lean when coming on boost as AFR's hit the 15's and a small amount of knock is detected. This is not something I can repeat and happens randomly. I need to also state that it is not a WOT problem and happens when just driving around normally. The car seems to lose power for a second or two but if I do the same thing again a minute later its fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfwqkv96ho...SModified.xlsx

To date i've:

*Replaced and gapped plugs
    *Replaced oil and oil filter
    *Stretched coil pack springs
    *Changed air filter
    *Cleaned MAF sensor
    *Bought Cobb AP and am running the Stage 1 98 tune
    *Done a MAF calibration
    *Installed a Grimmspeed boost controller

It doesn't appear to be fuel pump related but next I plan to get the Autotech internals anyway as a precautionary measure

I appreciate any advice you can give as i'm stumped

Dan
    How long after you flashed your tune did you take your log? I'm curious because there doesn't appear to be any LTFT present on your log. Have you attempted to cal your MAF?

edit: Sorry just read the last line of what you did lol.

It seems funny you dont have LTFT but maybe someone else can chime in on that.
    Last edited by newmaz; 14-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    2007 MPS3

Over the last week i've installed a Cobb SRI and a TIH, installed the appropriate OTS maps from Cobb and the problem seems to be worse! I've re-done my MAF calibration too

Even though my logs don't seem to show any HPFP issues, I do have the new internals and will install on the weekend. To top all of this off my turbo has started smoking as well in traffic... awesome. Starting to wish I didn't buy this silly car.

Quote Originally Posted by DannersAU View Post
    Over the last week i've installed a Cobb SRI and a TIH, installed the appropriate OTS maps from Cobb and the problem seems to be worse! I've re-done my MAF calibration too

Even though my logs don't seem to show any HPFP issues, I do have the new internals and will install on the weekend. To top all of this off my turbo has started smoking as well in traffic... awesome. Starting to wish I didn't buy this silly car.
    Check spark plugs and post a log
    Raise idle to 900-1000 rpm
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

How do you raise idle...?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS400 View Post
    How do you raise idle...?
    Raising Idle with Cobb AP - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #5 ...
    GEN 2 tables are slightly different, think they are missing one of the tables but the process is the same
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Ahhhh need an AP for it then.

Or hypertech

Stupid question. Have you reset the Ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Stupid question. Have you reset the Ecu?

I did during my first round of troubleshooting but haven't since installing the SRI and Turbo Pipe. I'll give it another try.

I do seem to have made some success after reading Abilor's tuning guide and have made some changes to my boost tuning maps and fueling tables. In saying this though, I was using completely OTS maps before this and the problem existed so I feel as though my customisations are only masking the problem.

Abilor's Tooning Guide for Noobs - Mazdaspeed Forums

Raising idle didn't fix my smoky turbo... Bnoon bolt is on it's way and hopefully i'll get the Autotech internals installed this weekend

I found this to be a very interesting read.