User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to buy 200,000K 6 MPS

1. Default About to buy 200,000K 6 MPS

Hey all,

Went and had a look at a 2005 6 MPS with 191,000K's on the clock. Mechanically the car seemed fine, I asked about all the common issues:
    Smoking turbo - Nope
    Timing chain rattle - Yep, was fixed
    Rear diff - Nope
    Engine mounts - Nope

Didn't appear to blow any smoke, not even on startup, I couldn't detect any noises from inside, I got it up to around 80-90K's, car seemed to pull just fine, no play in the gearbox.

Is there anything else I should be looking at before I pay for it?

Also it has a dent on the back left wheel well and a few other imperfections here and there they're asking $12,000 for it I estimate about $2,000 to fix it all assuming I don't find anything in the light of day (it was darkish and raining. What are your thoughts on the price?

Anything else you can think of let me know and I appreciate the help thanks in advance!
    Mitch

I would check the rear transfer case to make sure it isn't leaking. Not sure of costs of repair etc but I know one of the cars I looked at when I was buying had issues with it leaking. Best way to check is probably if you can see where it is normally parked. If there is oil/stain middle of the rear axle on the ground thats a good indication it has a transfer case leak.

The price I find a little depressing personally... *sigh* I guess I should have known the value would never go up and it does have almost twice the km of my car... but still.

I think that's too many KM,because if the engine goes ,an eBay engine will cost at least $7000 plus install.
    Not worth the risk if u intend to keep it a while.

I have done over 230K kms in my 3MPS.

The engine is fine. No smoke or turbo replacement.

My chain rattles but no big deal. :-)

Transfer case would be the only real issue to worry about on a high km 6MPS

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think that's too many KM,because if the engine goes ,an eBay engine will cost at least $7000 plus install.
    Not worth the risk if u intend to keep it a while.
    I've noticed alot of the mps6's with over 150,000km on the clock have replacement engines and even gear boxes
    When I was buying one, I had budgeted in a replacement engine(if I had of got one with high kms)
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    I've noticed alot of the mps6's with over 150,000km on the clock have replacement engines and even gear boxes
    When I was buying one, I had budgeted in a replacement engine(if I had of got one with high kms)
    That's true, I noticed the same thing when I was looking too.A lot of hi km MPS had replacement engines.

7. Default

Do you know what caused the engines to require the replacement? I intend on getting the engine compression tested before any money changes hands as well.

No sorry,prob just old age.
    Even though engines can give way at any time ,Hi km engines are a ticking bomb.
    as Zebbstar said allow for an engine in budget.

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    Do you know what caused the engines to require the replacement? I intend on getting the engine compression tested before any money changes hands as well.
    ^^this

Seen stock cars go boom in under 40k km, seen heavily modded cars last for 3-4 years

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Seen stock cars go boom in under 40k km, seen heavily modded cars last for 3-4 years
    = reasons why I'd much rather buy a stock MPS with high kms than a modified one with considerably less kms. The only good mods are those you do yourself properly, you can't trust anyone else. If the log books look good, it inspects well and drives well and the owner doesn't look too dodgy that's as good as you'll get. I'd offer $10.5 - 11K for it though.

KM is not important.
    Time is the problem.
    Ive seen engines that have done 11,000km that self distructed.
    I've seen 300,000km + engines that have been perfect.

200,000 km of long distant driving is better for an engine than 50,000km of stop start short trips

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    KM is not important.
    Time is the problem.

200,000 km of long distant driving is better for an engine than 50,000km of stop start short trips
    Very True, if a car is cruising up and down a freeway there is no load being placed on any of it. Most of engine damage is done when cold start metal on metal etc.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    KM is not important.
    Time is the problem.

The man presented himself very nicely middle aged (45ish) married, own home, owns his own business. He said he sued to work between Newcastle and Muswellbrook/Tamworth and was making daily trips back and forth, did 145,000 in the first 2 years he owned it.

So it's got country/highway miles on it, the fact that it's done 190,000K's and is on the original clutch says to me it's had a pretty easy life, you don't do 190,000 on the stock clutch in stop start traffic.

All that said, I'd MUCH prefer a lower K example but this one 2 minutes down the road. The only thing that bothers me is you can't unwind those kilometers... You can fix paint but K's a permanent.

That's pretty impressive. Obviously the resale value after driving it some more will be poor, but if you plan on keeping it for several years I'd go for it. Check the bonnet - does it have lots of stone chips? My 3MPS was used in a semi-rural setting before I bought it, driven on some rough country roads which unfortunately resulted in many stone chips on the bonnet.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    That's pretty impressive. Obviously the resale value after driving it some more will be poor, but if you plan on keeping it for several years I'd go for it. Check the bonnet - does it have lots of stone chips? My 3MPS was used in a semi-rural setting before I bought it, driven on some rough country roads which unfortunately resulted in many stone chips on the bonnet.
    Once it hit's that 200,000K mark I imagine the value will go down at least another $1,000. It has plenty of stone chips on the bonnet and bumper. When I said in my original post that I thought there was $2,000 worth of paint repairs I included $800 for the front bumper and bonnet. Last time I had a quote for a bonnet it was $300 for the bonnet and $200 for the bar but this bonnet is a little more complicated to prep (Due to the bulge) and the bumper is a bit bigger.

I plan to keep it for 3 - 5 years, but who knows what's around the corner, but I think I'd need to keep it until a few more 6's got over that 200,000 mark as well.

Also if someone could explain to me what the transfer case is so I can check it?
    Last edited by son of eevil; 19-06-2013 at 11:07 PM.

I've touched up my (dozens) of paint chips and am going to purchase some "Dr Paint Chip" from the US next (< $100). The paint work on my MPS is still glossy and bright so don't want to respray when this might do.

Seems to be a few MPSes out there for sale at the moment, gen 1 models 2005/6/7. They've all definately dropped in price by $1 - 2K since 2012.

18. Default

people saying too many kms and engines blow = rubbish!
    no regular oil change = blown motor, gear box issue, etc.
    check service history. if thats fine and up to date and the car drives well, price is right, get it!

the only thing with high kms is more suspension, bushes etc.

I've had cars with over 350,000 kms.
    I even have a hyundai excel with close to 300,000kms still running fine (motor wise).

In all the engine shops I have been in and seen mzr engines that have failed clearly haven't been looked after! Most mps6 transfer cases would have a wet stain around casing, if its not pissing out you should be fine. The VVT noise on start up can be very slight and not always loud. Like with anything if its been maintained it should be fine if not your only paying 12k lol

Might add this, if its lasted this long it's possibly the best 6 Mazda made lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast