User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to buy 200,000K 6 MPS

You can buy mine if you like at around 71,000km, serviced since new by Mazda. Mods as per Signature below. Not thrashed, never launched hard. All gear original, no leaks. New front discs and pads less that 1000km ago. With or without the CP_e ECU mod, with or without Dashhawk. Price still being considered. Depends where you are, I guess. I have another car and don't need two, except that I will miss the MPS.

If you're worried about resale value, I wouldn't be buying this car or an MPS for that matter.

There's no problems with buying a high km car, as long as you've done your research. My old BMW had done 300,000km when I sold it, and was still going strong.
    You seem to think it's been well looked after, and if it passes all your further tests I'd go for it. For $12,000 you probably can't go too wrong.

3. Default

I think I'll arrange another inspection have my mechanic get it on his hoist do a compression test and if it passes ill make an offer

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No sorry,prob just old age.
    Even though engines can give way at any time ,Hi km engines are a ticking bomb.
    as Zebbstar said allow for an engine in budget.
    It just lead me to believe that the engines don't last stupid amounts of time
    of course, That being said there would be people on here with high mileage mps's and their cars are fine

I got a compression test when I got my 6 and it only had 95k on the clock
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

I don't always agree with high km engines being potential trouble. Depend very much on marque and even the various designs within marques.

The old Holden Red motor (179-186 c.i) were a bullet-proof 7-bearing crank engines that went forever. I did 1.5 million kms on mine in a Series II Landrover conversion after I had rebuilt a totally neglected one that had been in the original Holden ute for a decade and had already racked up a million or so carting timber props around, grossly overloaded. All I did was tape the crank and camshaft and put in new bearing shells after boring it out out 0.030" to take 186 c.i to 192.

Taxis routinely clocked up multi million kms on them without major rebuilds. But GM's current alloy V6 is a rattling POS that I wouldn't put in a go-cart. The V8's are better engines but have had issues, I hear.

On the contra side, expect smoke from Mitsi 3500 V6's once they have a few Kms on the on the high side of 100,000, but I do know of exceptions and Mitsi are not alone. Contrast it with the magnificent Nissan V6 in the Maxima, one of the best engines going, or like some of the Honda motors which are built like jewelled watches.

I know dozens of Toyota Landcruiser 80 series with over 500,000km on them and no one has had a spanner on them. My own is a relative youngster with a mere 170,000km and it runs like a watch, even making the MPS look agricultural if sound alone and idle smoothness is anything to go by. See item on http://www.caradvice.com.au/92351/to...cks-1000000km/
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Trucks, aeroplanes, boats, pretty much everything with an engine except cars have their service intervals and repairs set at an amount of hours, not km.

Friend bought a Mazda 626 many years ago. Had 11,000km on it. The car had never been driven from one side of the town to the other. He bought it, and it lasted about another 150km. Its first ever long drive.
    The engine had never got warm, rings never bedded it.
    Pulled the motor down and it was shot.
    Put a 2nd hand motor in it and it was great. Until the suspension collapsed not longafter. All the rubbers had dried up.
    Replaced bits and pieces from the wreck he bought. That car has not missed a beat since. God only knows how many km on the 2nd hand motor.

To say an engine is a ticking time bomb just because it has high km on it is really not fair.
    It all depends how its been driven and looked after.
    Plenty of MPS motors have had serious problems with less than 50,000km on it. So having done 200,000+ can only say that its been looked after
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

7. Default

Went and had a look at that 6 MPs again.... No oil on the dipstick, it was totally dry.

Oil light wasn't on so its not likely empty depending on how much shows on the dipstick I estimate It's missing 1-2.5 liters of oil, last service was in October last year and there's 2,000ks until the next one is due....

No oil leaks so its burnt 1-2.5L of oil in 8,000k's assuming a 10,000k service interval.

What do you guys think?

I think I'm going to pass on this and look for another, so if you're in NSW selling a 6 MPS with leather that is white, silver or grey let me know and we'll tee up an inspection, I don't mind travelling.

In case anyone here is looking to buy, the one I went to inspect was this one. Perhaps you're more of a gambler then I
    Last edited by son of eevil; 22-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

Chewing oil is not a good sign.

Offer $8k and rebuild the engine with forged internals ! O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    The price I find a little depressing personally... *sigh* I guess I should have known the value would never go up and it does have almost twice the km of my car... but still.
    Wow, my agreed value is $26,000 for a 2006 MPS6 with 150,000km on it. If it gets stolen, I'm laughing (Although now that I've posted this, it better not be!). Buy another for $12k, and have $14k left for mods!

This weekend is set aside from detailing it. Most things except the gear shift, steering wheel and driver side seat look like new. But then, most my kilometers are highway as well, and as a bit of an enthusiast I look after my car.

My 6 has over 170,000kms on it now, and she goes strong. Oil is changed every 5,000kms and I keep it in good nick. High kms aren't a warning sign, poor maintenance is.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    My 6 has over 170,000kms on it now, and she goes strong. Oil is changed every 5,000kms and I keep it in good nick. High kms aren't a warning sign, poor maintenance is.
    Yeah gotta agree, mine is up to 165kms now but it's all highway kms, still feels very strong. Check log books for missed services.
    Cheers Todd

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12