User Tag List

Thread: Airboxs worth it on SRI & TIP

Talking Airboxs worth it on SRI & TIP

I have just installed a HTP TIP, 2xs SRI, Forge BPV and a hyptertech tune on my Gen1. Loving every second of it, definite increase in power so far even though there is lots of forums of people saying SRI will actually decrease performance.. Not in this case..
    Wanting to know if:
    A: An airbox is worth it, will the heat drop dramatically enough to notice any more improvements? What about in Summer. I'm in Sydney.
    B: I cannot find 2xs airbox's anymore, apparently some were getting made but I'm yet to see any, how hard is it to make a corksport or similar fit? Has anyone done it? Wanting it also for legal reason, apparently I'm defect-able at present with no air box? Can anyone clarify?
    Thanks in advance fellas!

Yes exposed pod can get you a defect.

Exposed pod doesn't get you defected. Unsecured pod get you defect for sure.

Nah Sri attaches to under battery tray and is done and tip attaches the flange on engine which is also screwed up. So nothing loose or moving.
    I was told exposed pods are defectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Nah Sri attaches to under battery tray and is done and tip attaches the flange on engine which is also screwed up. So nothing loose or moving.
    I was told exposed pods are defectable.
    Every state is different but it doesn't hurt to buy a Sri box you know if some ****head pulls you over.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

NSW exposed pods will get you defected. Yes you will get better gains with box will it be enough to feel it not really. You are getting good gains from you SRI due to the Hypertech being TUNED for it. On a standard tune there is no noticeable hp increase.. more noise from sri for sure ...

It is up to the cop if he wants to give you a ticket he will. Buy a box and the chance will decrease. I know of people in NSW that have been defected for exposed SECURED pod so thats why i said what i did

I found significant drop in IAT with my airbox, also found that it recovers from heat soak a lot quicker after the airbox was put in. Feels a lot more consistent in power delivery in many conditions

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    NSW exposed pods will get you defected. Yes you will get better gains with box will it be enough to feel it not really. You are getting good gains from you SRI due to the Hypertech being TUNED for it. On a standard tune there is no noticeable hp increase.. more noise from sri for sure ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    It is up to the cop if he wants to give you a ticket he will. Buy a box and the chance will decrease. I know of people in NSW that have been defected for exposed SECURED pod so thats why i said what i did
    Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    I found significant drop in IAT with my airbox, also found that it recovers from heat soak a lot quicker after the airbox was put in. Feels a lot more consistent in power delivery in many conditions
    Excellent!! Thanks all for responding guys! Decision made!

Now you think its much work to get a cork sport or similar to fit? I'm assuming I can just dremel out as needed?

10. Default

A corksport box should do it,there is a thread on here where it was modified to work with a 3 inch intake. and as long as the BPV don't stick out more than the stock one, as the stock one sits up against it.

imo an airbox is a must, all that heat under the bonnet just gets ingested by the engine and is less dense then cooler air.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    A corksport box should do it,there is a thread on here where it was modified to work with a 3 inch intake. and as long as the BPV don't stick out more than the stock one, as the stock one sits up against it.
    I fit the corksport box around my 3.25" with room to spare! No cutting required

Yours is a 6 though, would this be different? also does this mean that the regular CS filter was not a snug fit in the box if you can fit a 3.25" in there???
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Yours is a 6 though, would this be different? also does this mean that the regular CS filter was not a snug fit in the box if you can fit a 3.25" in there???
    No clue! Never owned the CS filter, just got the box to fit over my CPe SRI

15. Default

I've got stg 2 with airbox and no it's not a very snug fit, but the air filter that connects to the maf seals the back pretty well, it would allow minimal heat but by far much better then just having it without a box.

16. Default

Well you need to see if the 4 inch intake wil fit that you know you will be getting...and push that 500hp, if your current turbo needs upgrading, do that as well you have the engine internals, don't dissapoint us.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

17. Default

The maf housing goes throught the opening of the air box, the air filer is a rubber/silicone connection, you can push the lid down and make it fit.

Well you need to see if the 4 inch intake wil fit that you know you will be getting...and push that 500hp, if your current turbo needs upgrading, do that as well you have the engine internals, don't dissapoint us.
    Lol stop geeing me up ! I'm quite happy with my power at this stage hehe
    However I'm still thinking of that 4"er lol

19. Default

Lol stop geeing me up ! I'm quite happy with my power at this stage hehe
    However I'm still thinking of that 4"er lol
    The 4 is calling you, it haunts you, place that order, yummy 500hp with 4WD, 10sec 1/4 mile sleeper

The 4 is calling you, it haunts you, place that order, yummy 500hp with 4WD, 10sec 1/4 mile sleeper
    Lol with dumb lag and no real daily drivability! Not to mention the huge increase in engine popping chances :S
    Lol anyway ... Wrong thread to be discussing this in back OT lol