User Tag List

Thread: New user 2005 MPS 6

Red face New user 2005 MPS 6

Hey Guys and Girls, my names Dan.

After much deliberation I just purchased a second hand silver 2005 Mazda MPS 6, I've come from owning a Subaru RS Liberty as my first turbo car to an FC RX7 which i still own and will be selling soon to fund this new project.

I'm pretty confident that this mps was part of the forum before as it has club stickers on the back window, i havent got any pictures yet but i will start a ride thread soon.

Thanks for your time,
    Dan.

Welcome Dan, make sure you post pics of the mps and your FC too!

Hi Dan welcome =]

Anyone have an idea who the car might have belonged to?

Cheers!!

Info of the 6 is lowered RX8 wheels, no window tints and sounds like it has an exhaust or maybe a leak as it doesnt look like its been changed.

Here is a picture of my RX7

that is Mal's old car

Lucky sod, that has a BNR turbo in it and a versatune. As well as near new gearbox and missle proof rear cv's / diff mounts. I would have brought it cept I had brought my own 6 a few months prior.

you have a good car, and glad to see the ol girl found her way back

EDIT: The front strut brace and old upgraded top mount are now sitting in my engine bay though
    Last edited by Fizzy; 12-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

That's cool, I have plenty of pictures of that car. I remember this one time we were on a cruise and he lost control and a corner and almost hit a tree, then hit a kangaroo and had to get the front end repaired...

Lol, just kidding mate, Welcome. Yes I'm sure a lot of us know who used to own your current car. Happy to say he was a passionate owner and I have this pic of said car from a few years ago.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

That does match up with the information the auction house had, It feels fairly zippy its good to get some background info . I wanted to know it has a little switch just under the middle centre console You wouldn't know what thats for?

Knowing Mal, that switch could do anything, rockets, ejector seat, home made pizza dropping from out the glove box. Not sure mate. Actually, it's nothing to do with the AWD system? I can't remember and I may be wrong but Mal may have installed a bypass to the AWD system (the factory way is to click up the handbrake one click and converts it to FWD) he may have had a switch to disconnect the rear diff on demand without using the handbrake....maybe.

Jeez don't go saying that haha, I had my old work mazda 3 written off due to a big brown kanga! I had a good look over the car and it appeared well looked after so im really happy with the buy.
    Thanks again for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Knowing Mal, that switch could do anything, rockets, ejector seat, home made pizza dropping from out the glove box. Not sure mate. Actually, it's nothing to do with the AWD system? I can't remember and I may be wrong but Mal may have installed a bypass to the AWD system (the factory way is to click up the handbrake one click and converts it to FWD) he may have had a switch to disconnect the rear diff on demand without using the handbrake....maybe.
    Mmmm Pizza. Well i reckon your bang on the money because when you flick the switch the handbrake warning light comes on so that sounds right.
    Last edited by boostedmazda; 12-06-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Welcome Dan best of luck with car, looks clean in that photo
    Got kebabs bitch??

Just messing with the newbie mate!

A lot of us know Mal and he's a great guy and one of the more knowledgeable ones on the forum although he doesn't visit as much not having the MPS anymore. The car was well looked after as is many of ours. Generally if the MPS required anything it was addressed although I can explain specifics cause I'm not intimate with the history of the car. Myself have replaced the water pump once and I might have a leak again. It's a machine, such is life.

I think Mal may have got the smoking turbo problem which MANY people have got. @Fizzy who has commented on that thread will demonstrate just how short you need to look to find reference to that! It's a design flaw from Mazda and I believe the turbo has been replaced. Think he's running a BNR stage 3 if I remember.

The thing is with the MPS it's not the type of car people would typically buy if one wanted to thrash and do burnouts etc. It's more of a GT and Mal treated as such and joined us on some social cruises which you're welcome to. The MPS does actually need to stretch the legs once a while. Note a lot of black smoke coming out the back, it's good to clear that out once a while, runs much nicer afterwards

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Just messing with the newbie mate!

A lot of us know Mal and he's a great guy and one of the more knowledgeable ones on the forum although he doesn't visit as much not having the MPS anymore. The car was well looked after as is many of ours. Generally if the MPS required anything it was addressed although I can explain specifics cause I'm not intimate with the history of the car. Myself have replaced the water pump once and I might have a leak again. It's a machine, such is life.

I think Mal may have got the smoking turbo problem which MANY people have got. @Fizzy who has commented on that thread will demonstrate just how short you need to look to find reference to that! It's a design flaw from Mazda and I believe the turbo has been replaced. Think he's running a BNR stage 3 if I remember.

The thing is with the MPS it's not the type of car people would typically buy if one wanted to thrash and do burnouts etc. It's more of a GT and Mal treated as such and joined us on some social cruises which you're welcome to. The MPS does actually need to stretch the legs once a while. Note a lot of black smoke coming out the back, it's good to clear that out once a while, runs much nicer afterwards
    It's all good, I apreciate the help. I think this car will be more reliable then my RX7 also a little bit more comfortable , Yeah i have done a fair bit of reading on the forums here and read some of the problems along with the do's and don'ts, It's nice to own a car that was owned by a car enthusiast. I will be tagging along for cruises also!

Welcome

These guys know me too well, I don't need to add anything more. The car has a speed camera shield and photon torpedos for dealing with dribbling morons in the overtaking lane. I'll let you discover the pizza dispenser. Seriously though, welcome to the forum and it's good to see my MPS is still in the family.

If you look for my for sale thread here you'll find a list of mods. However I did some minor de-modding before trading it because all the dealers I spoke to were put off by the visible mods - they are more comfortable about their warranty obligations on a stock car.

Taking the TMIC and intake off made the car a lot more responsive and nicer to drive around town, but also made a big dent in power output. If you think it's zippy now, wait till you get the power output back where it belongs.

I can help you get part way there, I'm happy to give you the Hyperflow SRI (for free) that the car was tuned with. It comes with a new air filter. It will restore some of the power and significantly change the sound so you can hear that BNR stage 3 sucking.

Can't help with a TMIC though, Fizzy took that away a couple of days ago.

It has a conservative and safe tune created by Alex at Stratified, running around 18psi. It has launch control and no-lift-shift running in the background all the time. However launching any AWD car is high risk and I became worried that after strengthening the rear axles and diff mounts that the next weakest link in the drivetrain was the transfer case. So I don't recommend launching. But if you must, be careful and turn the traction control off before launching.

You can confidently use the no-lift-shift feature. It's currently set at 5400rpm. This means that you can hold 100% throttle without lifting for a gear change. It's quite safe and you'll be impressed by the way it nails you into the seat after each shift.

I actually found that after tuning, the car was slower off the line anyway because it just smoked all four tyres. So there's really no point in trying to launch it.

The stage 3 turbo is barely into its efficiency zone at 18 psi and there is plenty of scope for more power by adding a different MAP sensor and waste gate solenoid then getting Alex to re-tune it. However it's a never ending process and you'll quickly run into other issues, such as fuel pressure. Frankly I didn't see the need to make it any quicker.

The Versatune license is transferable and now I know who the new owner is Im willing to negotiate a deal on the software and the Tactrix cable if you're interested.

You would have bought the car for less than what I spent on the mods. I guess that means you bought a nice package of mods and got an MPS for free.

Enjoy the car, let me know if you want the SRI.
    Last edited by kmh001; 13-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Gone to Volvo

....and then he bought a Volvo! Hahaha

Don't laugh, I'm lovin the ovlov. That sweet straight-6 is silky smooth and sounds like a Lamborghini when I give it a bit.

I like the specs etc but I had a look at the interior and it wasn't for me. Seems like a nice car though. I have never heard or seen one on the road but I'm sure it sounds better than the MPS, you might have to meet us for a cruise one day Have you got any pics or a thread on the Volvo? Which model was it again, the AWD yeah?

My motorcycle sounds like a Ferrari though the tunnel at 14,000RPM haha

M P S