User Tag List

Thread: ACT CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL - 6+ Months later on...

Default ACT CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL - 6+ Months later on...

Hi all,
    Just a bit of a review/findings/questions RE the ACT clutch and flywheel kit.
    I purchased it online from the US around September 2012 and got it fitted to my 05/06 MPS6 at my mates fathers workshop. From memory, the clutch pedal was extremely heavy and the car would “shudder” if the revs were low. This wasn’t and issue once the car was going, but you can imagine how much fun being stuck in peak hour and/or reversing is.
    Also…Vibrations noticably increased should the revs get too low or in the wrong gear.

Fast forward until now and 2 services later (one from a Mazda Dealer and the most recent one yesterday at RAC) noted – clutch pedal heavy and vibrating – recommend replace
    I do find the clutch heavy when compared to “normal cars” and I find driving the wifes SP23 clutch on a scale of 1-10 (10 being how heavy my clutch is) rate hers at 1!
    But my left leg has either gotten extremely stronger or im just accustomed to how to drive this car that the vibrations rarely happen..

Just wondering if this is a normal effect off fitting an aftermarket clutch and flywheel and if any other MPS6 owners with ACT kits can chime in?
    My car other wise is bone stock.

ACT clutch had received bad reviews on Cork Sports review page that they sell, heaps of people say slipping with less than 20000 km.some say stock clutch better

3. Default

Should have gone spec stage 3 with fidanza flywheel I hear there great combo, still heavy tho

The newer ACT clutches are supposed to be a bit more driveable, but the original design was a bit racecar.

I went onshore clutch.

Got my oem replaced at 70km, done about 5km since the replacement and i can't fault it... It bites like a great white when you launch it but you can easily ride/slip for a smooth take off.

My oem clutch was about a 7/10, my new one about a 6/10 in effort required to depress fully.

Would def recommend this set up for a 6 if you are looking to change it.

Spec stage 3 and fidanza flywheel supposed to be good combo for our cars

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    I went onshore clutch.

Got my oem replaced at 70km, done about 5km since the replacement and i can't fault it... It bites like a great white when you launch it but you can easily ride/slip for a smooth take off.

My oem clutch was about a 7/10, my new one about a 6/10 in effort required to depress fully.

Would def recommend this set up for a 6 if you are looking to change it.
    I am looking at replacing my clutch soon and am researching optoins.
    Is onshore a brand? have never heard of them?

Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    I am looking at replacing my clutch soon and am researching optoins.
    Is onshore a brand? have never heard of them?
    Hey matey,
    Sorry, I meant Aussie made.

NPC clutch and solid state fly wheel

They are a local mob here in Brisi and do a lot of clutches for big HP vehicles we see at the drags...

They are all over the MPS clutch, they take about 2 days to build one to your specs, you tell them what you need it for and they can custom to your need.

My preference was drivability with more clamping force than stock, and the occasional track day just in case I wanted to take to drags and not have to worry about slipping.
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

I'm guessing you mean Jim Berry. For street driven high hp cars, he takes stock spec clutches, normally LUK brand and upgrades the centres for higher clamping pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    I'm guessing you mean Jim Berry. For street driven high hp cars, he takes stock spec clutches, normally LUK brand and upgrades the centres for higher clamping pressure.
    Can't really remember his name, but he was happy to discuss at length to ensure the delivery of the required product...

Ceramic this, and 6-puk that... He recommended organic full face plate for my case. It's also much higher clamping pressure but with less effort (although I do believe that the install had a lot to do with the minimising of pedal effort)
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch