User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HPFP learnings

Default HPFP learnings

Hi guys

So I know that everyone says you need a HPFP if you upgrade your turbo but I'm really looking to learn more about this. Most of what I've read suggests its absolutely necessary if you live in the USA due to their fuel quality. I'm wondering if anyone knows any real facts about why you would need it in Australia and does anyone have any experiences of what has happened in Oz without one.

Thanks heaps in advance

Sent from outer space via satellite

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...k-vs-hpfp.html <-- somewhat explaining difference between port (old school) and direct injection (our engines)
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...tml#post232165 <-- information on how they "fail"

here's a link to someone who's HPFP failed/failing: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post261829
    can see we're all freaking out about it a bit... in fact, we're amazed he didnt blow up his engine
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by mrsrobmps View Post
    Hi guys

So I know that everyone says you need a HPFP if you upgrade your turbo but I'm really looking to learn more about this. Most of what I've read suggests its absolutely necessary if you live in the USA due to their fuel quality. I'm wondering if anyone knows any real facts about why you would need it in Australia and does anyone have any experiences of what has happened in Oz without one.

Thanks heaps in advance
    To be honest, from all accounts our fuel is not as good as theirs. The yanks consistently make more power with lower (apparent) grade fuel than ours.

Another handy tip is that a hpfp is not just needed for upgrading your turbo, you really should look at the upgraded hpfp as your first mod.
    You may get lucky and go fully bolted on just the standard pump, and then again you may blow your shit up.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, just that a hpfp upgrade is a worthwhile safety net.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Agreed with littleresmps in that it is a safety net. Many people quote how it is better to spend 400 than the amount for a new engine.
    From all I've read it can vary from car to car as to how many bolt ons it takes before needing to upgrade. Some people it is after only 1 or 2 bolt ons etc intake, tip, intercooler etc, but others have been able to run a down pipe with stock internals. General consensus seems to be;
    down pipe=upgrade internals.

Note: This is not based on facts, this is based on reading peoples experiences of NOT blowing their engines. :-)

All in all, monitor fp until upgraded.
    Also yes I've heard that their fuel seems to be of a better quality than ours, not sure how much better etc but as stated the tuners seem to be able to get better power from cars with same mods over there compared to here.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Careful...
    Touchy subject amongst troller community...lol

Only jking @mrsrobmps, your credentials look to be genuine. Banning wand put away

Thanks guys, I will check those threads out.

I have been running a tip sri dp and was running fmic with hypertech tune and had no problems with my fuel pump with stock internals

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    I have been running a tip sri dp and was running fmic with hypertech tune and had no problems with my fuel pump with stock internals

Thanks Auscer we are installing a Gtx2867 turbo and a corksport TMIC and just want to make sure we get it right and I keep hearing different things RE needing a HPFP. Very confusing

Pretty much from what I have learnt is $400 is little compared to a new engine.. and besides if ur going bt you will need fp inernals anyway so you might as well get them

I never upgraded FP internals till My 3071. I ran FMIC, CS sri and TIP full TBE and never ran into issues and I flogged mine at the track. Just saying. It just depends how far you go and I would say yes seeing you guys are upgrading.

Good luck!

This chick is awesome....can we keep her

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    This chick is awesome....can we keep her
    Awww shucks MissMPS you make a girl feel wanted

Some things to keep in mind...

US fuel is horribly inconsistent... Have seen multiple tuners comment on this, some states have great fuel, others are shocking... As in, need either e85 or meth to get over about 260hp (195kw)
    Other places can hit 310hp (230kw) on stock turbo... This affects power/knock resistance, it has nothing to do with the fuel pump failing...

There comes a point where the stock pump becomes unable to provide 1600+psi of fuel pressure at a given rpm for the amount of air entering the engine... Different cars reach this point at different times...

Even if our fuel is worse, doesnt mean we dont still have the issue, Just means we might be less likely to reach the stock unit's limits... Have also noticed that tuners here don't push the cars as hard, rarely see people pushing more than 18psi on stock turbo... But in the states they often push 20psi in the mid range as this is still within the stock turbo's efficiency range

Tuners here don't have anywhere near the experience some of the tuners do in the US, numerous people have 100s of cars under their belt, along with owning a mps themselves and pushing it to the limit, sometimes beyond! Also, haven't seen anyone in aus tuning with meth or e85 mixes...

A drop in fuel pressure can, and will, cause engine to do bad bad things.... And possibly blow up... A $400 investment provides a much needed safe guard against a known point of failure...
    There has instances in the US of stock tune gen 2's with just an intake + basic tune hit the limits of the stock hpfp... Sometimes even on stock tune...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Thanks @SarcasticOne I'm starting to think its worth the investment even if its just as a fail safe

I know Troy @2XS never upgraded his and don't think he ever had issues, and he pushed his car pretty hard.
    For peace of mind and the small expense it can only really be of benefit you anyway.

Cobb recommend the HPFP with any 2 mods and a flash, so with BT I wouldnt even bother trying without it. They know a thing or two!
    In the scheme of things $400 is a small price to pay for an insurance policy.
    With my 3's mod list (AP, TMIC, SRI, TIP, DP) my fuel pressure was dropping pretty dangerously causing hesitation.

Here is the matrix;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/ecu-m...tml#post208213
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

People will happily spend $1000 on an exhaust that will do stuff all to performance, but become a tight arse when it comes to spending $400 on a fuel pump that doesn't matter if you need or not to support modification, probably still needs repairing due to age.

$400 to definately avoid ZZB or save $400 and maybe, maybe not ZZB

I don't see why there even needs to be a debate on this every time fuel pumps get mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    people will happily spend $1000 on an exhaust that will do stuff all to performance, but become a tight arse when it comes to spending $400 on a fuel pump that doesn't matter if you need or not to support modification, probably still needs repairing due to age.

$400 to definately avoid zzb or save $400 and maybe, maybe not zzb

i don't see why there even needs to be a debate on this every time fuel pumps get mentioned.
    amen.
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

My car did only have 25,000kms on it,
    No wear and tear just yet.
    And they weren't THAT cheap back then.

As a safety precaution, I'd get one now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast