User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage - Tim's 2007 Mazda 6 MPS - Silver

Default Dan's Garage - Tim's 2007 Mazda 6 MPS - Silver

This car belongs to @tims. He picked it up 12 months ago from its original owner in QLD. The car has been quite fastidiously maintained and it's a true credit to both owners that after seven odd years it still looks as good as many cars that have only been on the road for 12 months or so.

The car as presented. There was the feel of light oxidation over the car, which was contributing in part to the drop off in gloss, but overall it was quite clean.

The original quality assurance sticker from the Mazda factory was even still in place!

Light oxidation on the wheels being dissolved with chemical decontamination

Followed by an APC soak and clean

The light oxidation across the body is evident in the following pics as the chemical decontamination starts to work on it

Some areas were more heavily contaminated than others. Especially around the rear, which is to be expected with rich-running turbo cars

Full foam soak

Post wash/clay inspection revealed very light swirling. Of equal, if not slightly higher concern, was the water etching across the car

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Post correction shots.

Fortunately 99% of the water etching was able to be removed, but it's a good lesson as to why there should always be some sort of protection layer on the paint, whether it be a coating, a sealant, a wax, or some combination of.

With a two stage correction (three stages on the bonnet), Gloss levels are waaay higher. I'm quite pleased with the end results

You can now see the pearl in this colour in real effect. The colour transition as you look down the car from silver to pale blue is quite remarkable

Some final outdoor shots. As mentioned, I'm pleased with the levels of gloss attained.

Finally, the Dan's Garage sticker in pride of place (with the Tim's permission of course )

Thanks for looking

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

As always great job. Mine should be a challenge even though I got paint sealant done last month.

Nice work! How were the paint levels on this car, out of curiosity.

Cheers guys. Harry I love a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by zacman View Post
    Nice work! How were the paint levels on this car, out of curiosity.
    Pretty good. The bonnet had been resprayed at some stage, probably to clean up stone chips I'd say. So it was harder to work with than the rest of the car, hence why it needed three stages to polish out the water etching.

The rest of the car only needed light correction so even if paint levels have have been bad it wouldn't have been much of an issue

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Horray another 6!!!
    Ever done a VR at all? Would kill to see how mine would look with your majic touch

I got the car home and got to look at it under my own garage lights (I'm used to how it looks in there) - and it's just a different car to look at. The gloss that Dan's got out of it is brilliant.

I believe that the bonnet respray also includes the drivers side front quarter panel, and that was some damage (deep scratches) encountered during transport from a WA dealership to a QLD dealership to be collected by its first owner (I'm the second).

Dan's made scratches and marks that were really annoying me 'vanish' and brought back the show-room shine we all love. The problem now is that I don't want to take it out of the garage :-)

I can't recommend @Caffeine Fiend and his work enough - it's outstanding and he's freakishly good at what he does.
    Thanks again Dan.

The next step is some 3M film in strategic places to minimise wear and tear marks (boot lip) and most importantly stone chips and some lakin plates and covers.

Tim, thank you for those words. It's very important to me that the people I work for are happy with what I do. It was a genuine pleasure to work on an MPS 6 that was in such amazing condition to start with.

It's easy to make a ratty car look good. The real challenge comes with making an already good car look great

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post

Horray another 6!!!
    Ever done a VR at all? Would kill to see how mine would look with your majic touch
    VR is a great colour. I've done a Gen II 3 MPS in VR and the flake pop you get once the clarity is restored is brilliant. Equal to the black mica IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta